Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fantasy Island season 2 is on the way.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't understand this logic of Sony's...why release something that already has been released by Shout? I could understand if Sony was releasing Season 3 in this format but why Season 2? Makes no sense.

#42 of 83 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 01:51 PM

I can only hope Sony isn't behaving the same way as Fox is (playing hardball with the indies).
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#43 of 83 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 02:08 PM

The only possible explanation for this MOD release by Sony is there has been some sort of falling out between Sony and Shout! Factory?!  The result of this would be Shout! discontinuing their release of S2 and thus Sony releases via MOD so those who would like to purchase a copy can still do so.  I hope this is not the case and that Shout! will continue to release this series on DVD via the more favourable pressed disc method.  Anyone know how season 2 did, sales wise?!

#44 of 83 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm only speculating on the idea of a falling out but there's a good circumstantial case. Notice that there hasn't been a single new Sony title announcement from Shout for well over several months.

#45 of 83 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 03:13 PM

Speaking of Shout, their forum has gone straight to hell. Not one moderator has stepped forward to do something about it. Whose "genius" idea was it to program a message board with no option to ban an IP's user, and is basically a safe haven for spammers? Whose idea was it?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#46 of 83 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 07:01 PM

Speaking of Shout, their forum has gone straight to hell. Not one moderator has stepped forward to do something about it. Whose "genius" idea was it to program a message board with no option to ban an IP's user, and is basically a safe haven for spammers? Whose idea was it?

Brian Ward?

#47 of 83 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 11:33 PM

I can only hope Sony isn't behaving the same way as Fox is (playing hardball with the indies).

The difference is that if Sony is going to release the material themselves, we still get what we want.

#48 of 83 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 06:13 AM

I certainly hope Sony hasn't severed ties with Shout--not until they finish the last 2 seasons of Hazel. At least Designing Women got under the wire. Hopefully this is all just false speculation.

#49 of 83 OFFLINE   skees53

skees53

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have a theory on this... and I'll admit that I am bringing up this theory without knowing exactly what Sony has stated or what is going on... but my theory is that this release is a mistake. I don't see what Sony would have to benefit from doing a MOD release on something which Shout! is making available as a standard release, although admittedly a lot of times online retailers are the only place you can find many Shout! titles. I haven't seen a press release for the title, indicating the number of episodes, the runtime, number of discs, artwork... anything at all, really. So, my "grand theory" (if you will) is that maybe, just maybe, there is a Fantasy Island release coming from Sony on September 4th. But it won't be the second season, but rather the 1998 (atrocious) revival series which aired on UPN. It is easily conceivable that somebody at Sony may look at their catalog, not recognize they are two different shows (we know these people working in these studios aren't the brightest people out there) and see "well, we released season 1, so our next release is season 2." This would also seem to be much more in line with Sony offering primarily short-lived and less memorable series in their MOD offerings. Aside from Benson and (arguably) Rules of Engagement, Sony hasn't really done any TV on DVD MOD releases for any series which have been truly successful. Now, I may be totally wrong on this... but it seems more plausible than a season 2 release of the original series. As for a falling out between Shout! and Sony, I suppose that is possible. But we've gone through longer spells with Shout! releasing nothing from Sony. Just in the next six weeks alone, we've got Designing Women S7, Diff'rent Strokes S3, and The Rookies S2 coming from Shout!... and two of those are new to Shout! Factory. Not to mention Get a Life The Complete Series in September. I'm pretty sure that is a Sony property, although I may be mistaken.

#50 of 83 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 12:21 PM

I think its an error as well. Shout! licenses titles from the studios for a set period of time as has been stated elsewhere. I doubt the rights would expire so soon. I also doubt Sony would yank the rights if something went wrong with their relationship with Shout. It just doens't make sense. Also Diff'rent Strokes S3 is still coming next month. Either its an error or Sony is doing this as a test to compare sales of MOD vs pressed disc/licensed sets. I think this is unlikely though because it would have far less sales most likely vs a release of a pressed set that is already out. Alk of this is just speculation on my part. Just my 2 cents.

#51 of 83 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,727 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 01:13 PM

I just asked them about it. "What is up with Sony MOD releasing Fantasy Island season 2, couldn't that cut into your profit for the title?" "We don't have the digital rights to that one" was the response. I think their deal with Sony is just fine, the MOD model is apparently quite different than dvd. Anyway it is pure profit for Sony, so why wouldn't they capitalize?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#52 of 83 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yes but apparently these are MOD discs not digital downloads. MOD discs still require some resources to produce. I don't think it's "pure profit".

#53 of 83 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,727 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:49 PM

Then the MOD model must be part of the digital package. I'm just stating what Shout Factory's response was. Make of it what you will.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#54 of 83 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sounds a typical Shout (or any comapny for that matter) standard reply for something they don't have an answer to. I still think its just an error and Shout probably doesn't even know about it. I've learned not to put much stock in Shout's answers anyway.

#55 of 83 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 03:37 AM

I think its an error as well. Shout! licenses titles from the studios for a set period of time as has been stated elsewhere. I doubt the rights would expire so soon. I also doubt Sony would yank the rights if something went wrong with their relationship with Shout. It just doens't make sense. Also Diff'rent Strokes S3 is still coming next month.

I don't see any listing on Amazon for S2 MOD release so this does look like its some sort of error?!  It would be a big blow to Shout! Factory if Sony severs ties with them as most of their classic TV releases in the past year or so have been coming from the Sony catalog.  They have released a total of 18 shows from Sony, including 9 new releases in the past year alone (Barney Miller, Diff'rent Strokes, Fantasy Island, Hazel, Here Come the Brides, Police Story, Police Woman, The Rookies & S.W.A.T.)  Without Sony their options are limited- they are not on good terms with Fox, Warner Bros. & Paramount do not sub-license out, which leaves Universal and possibly some independent companies as options to find content to release.

Hopefully they can finish off Hazel as that one seem to be doing very well judging by the pace at which the box sets are being released.

#56 of 83 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 05:44 AM

they are not on good terms with Fox, Warner Bros. & Paramount do not sub-license out, which leaves Universal and possibly some independent companies as options to find content to release.

And Brian Ward, known for his delightful works of fiction, had the nerve to deny the dispute between them and Fox. Brian's comments are the equivalent of Obama's "The private sector is doing fine".

#57 of 83 OFFLINE   skees53

skees53

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 06:03 AM

They have licensed SOME stuff from Paramount and Warner... but not on the scale of Universal and Sony (and formerly Fox). They acquired Webster from CBS, not to mention the Nickelodeon series (which would have ultimately been released by Paramount had they not licensed them). And two years ago, Warner broke tradition a little bit and they were able to license Norm (which I doubt many people were truly excited about) and Max Headroom (a very long awaited release which I'm surprised Warner didn't do themselves). As for the whole "good terms" on Fox, I don't know what the situation is, but in any event, that argument is being blown way out of proportion. Clearly, Fox just stopped licensing stuff to anybody. People are dramatizing this like it was some big fight, lawsuit, knock him out, drag 'em down, stop selling our product now battle. If that were true, then it would seem awfully peculiar that every single one of the Fox releases from Shout! is still in print and readily available. And yes, I know that many Fox series, such as L.A. Law and more, are coming out through other studios in the UK and people are using that to say "but see, Fox IS licensing them the stuff, so it is just Shout! Factory's fault!"... but nobody is reading the fine print on those sets. Those studios releasing those DVDs are not licensing those series directly from Fox. Fox has handed over distribution of many series in the UK to another entity (Hollywood Classics LTD, they handle all rights, including television distribution and home media distribution, for series from several American studios), and studios such as Revelation Films have acquired those series from that entities such as those, NOT from Fox.

#58 of 83 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 07:30 AM

Is there anything we can do to get Fox to license out again? Or are they simply too ignorant and arrogant to listen to us?

#59 of 83 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 10:34 AM

Nick and others, i have to believe this is just an error on Sony's part as maybe they meant Season 3 and not Season 2 of the original show. Like some of the other members have stated, they are still releasing a few other shows in the coming weeks (and hopefully continuing Hazel too with S4 and S5) and hoping someone from Sony or Cliff Mac can shed some light into this situation.

#60 of 83 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 10:35 AM

To Bryan H...Just by that statement alone they sent to you, that's a canned response.