What's new

Fantasy Island season 2 is on the way. (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My copy arrived today and it looks great! Glad this is out of "one and done" territory at long last.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have watched a couple episodes and what i have seen is very good. I was a huge fan of the show as it was on at 10pm on saturday night. I watch the episode with Darren McGavin as i am huge fan of his acting style, especally Kolchak/Martian Chronicles/a christmas story.
I also watch an episode with maureen mccormick when she was like 22 years old. Maureen was a beauty back in the 1970s!!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I went to about 6 big box stores today looking for Season 2 - no dice.
It's no wonder some titles aren't selling, if you can't find them there really is no choice but to order on-line.
Between the crazy high prices, and the lousy selection, it makes you wonder what the brick and mortar
stores like Best Buy, (and Future Shop in Canada) are actually selling in the way to TV dvds? It's bleak.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
derosa said:
I went to about 6 big box stores today looking for Season 2 - no dice.
It's no wonder some titles aren't selling, if you can't find them there really is no choice but to order on-line.
Between the crazy high prices, and the lousy selection, it makes you wonder what the brick and mortar
stores like Best Buy, (and Future Shop in Canada) are actually selling in the way to TV dvds? It's bleak.
Hi Grant,
I gave up on brick and mortar companies for dvd releases as many stores just do not carry the sets anymore. I strictly buy online now either through deep discount or amazon. I have also scale back my purchases as i am up to 86 completed shows. However, i so have shows like Fantasy Island that is one of my favorites as it had some great fantasy. I like Ricardo Montalbán as mr rourke. The set up the episodes was a great pre-cursor for each of the episodes.
I have only started watching S2 over the past few nights, like 1 or 2 episodes a night. I eventually like to watch it at its normal time shot, which would have been 10PM saturday night. The good thing about dvd is i position myself to run my own network and choose what i want to watch on tv.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
younger1968 said:
I gave up on brick and mortar companies for dvd releases as many stores just do not carry the sets anymore. I strictly buy online now either through deep discount or amazon.
I do most of my ordering on-line too, but Amazon.ca is starting to bug me.
First they switch from CanadaPost to UPS, which means I can't pop over to
my post office to pick up deliveries when i'm not home, (I'm in an apartment)
and the canadian website pricing is all over the map.
Fantasy Island season two is $25 on the .com website, and $40 on the .ca
site, which makes no sense when the Canadian dollar is higher to roughly
par with the US $.
Anyway, I placed my first order with walmart.ca today for the dvd, so we'll
see if they do a good job of getting it to me. It was under $30.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
derosa said:
I do most of my ordering on-line too, but Amazon.ca is starting to bug me.
First they switch from CanadaPost to UPS, which means I can't pop over to
my post office to pick up deliveries when i'm not home, (I'm in an apartment)
and the canadian website pricing is all over the map.
Fantasy Island season two is $25 on the .com website, and $40 on the .ca
site, which makes no sense when the Canadian dollar is higher to roughly
par with the US $.
Anyway, I placed my first order with walmart.ca today for the dvd, so we'll
see if they do a good job of getting it to me. It was under $30.
Amazon.ca is really disappointing me as well. Amazon.ca does a very poor job on managing both the releases and the pricing. I have spoken to support, but it is useless as all amazon.ca calls are handle from India and are scripted responses.
I still take advantage of amazon.ca on new releases, but look at amazon.com for different releases especially pricing. I purchased Twilight Zone for 90 USD + shipping/import costs and it was still about 100 cheaper than amazon.ca. I mention to amazon.ca that their pricing should be better as the canadian dollar is stronger, but did not get much of a response.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch a few more episodes and there was interesting episodes
1. I watched an episode with Connie Stevens and Barbi Benton that was about two showgirls wanting to marry millionaires. The episode was funny as good ole gopher was in the episode
2. I watched an episode with Annnette Funicello and Ken Berry. The funny scene was the soccer ball kicking and seeing the Ken Berry being replaced for the scene.
3. I watched an episode with a very young Michelle Pfeiffer. I think Michelle was like 22 years old. She was beauty back them and still is today.
I hope shout factory continues to put out fantasy island as i am huge fan of this show!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This, I don't understand at all. Why would Sony choose to release the same Season that just came out from Shout in their MOD program? I could understand them deciding to take back the title and then do S3, but why do S2 all over?
The one thing this development does indicate to me is that the releationship between Shout and Sony is likely coming to an end after we get "The Rookies" S2 in a month. Since Sony is stepping up with more obscure titles in their MOD program, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided they wanted to make their bigger titles in-house once again through the MOD program.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The only possible explanation for this MOD release by Sony is there has been some sort of falling out between Sony and Shout! Factory?! The result of this would be Shout! discontinuing their release of S2 and thus Sony releases via MOD so those who would like to purchase a copy can still do so. I hope this is not the case and that Shout! will continue to release this series on DVD via the more favourable pressed disc method. Anyone know how season 2 did, sales wise?!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm only speculating on the idea of a falling out but there's a good circumstantial case. Notice that there hasn't been a single new Sony title announcement from Shout for well over several months.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Shout, their forum has gone straight to hell. Not one moderator has stepped forward to do something about it. Whose "genius" idea was it to program a message board with no option to ban an IP's user, and is basically a safe haven for spammers? Whose idea was it?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
Speaking of Shout, their forum has gone straight to hell. Not one moderator has stepped forward to do something about it. Whose "genius" idea was it to program a message board with no option to ban an IP's user, and is basically a safe haven for spammers? Whose idea was it?
Brian Ward?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
vnisanian2001 said:
I can only hope Sony isn't behaving the same way as Fox is (playing hardball with the indies).
The difference is that if Sony is going to release the material themselves, we still get what we want.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I certainly hope Sony hasn't severed ties with Shout--not until they finish the last 2 seasons of Hazel. At least Designing Women got under the wire. Hopefully this is all just false speculation.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
I have a theory on this... and I'll admit that I am bringing up this theory without knowing exactly what Sony has stated or what is going on... but my theory is that this release is a mistake. I don't see what Sony would have to benefit from doing a MOD release on something which Shout! is making available as a standard release, although admittedly a lot of times online retailers are the only place you can find many Shout! titles.
I haven't seen a press release for the title, indicating the number of episodes, the runtime, number of discs, artwork... anything at all, really. So, my "grand theory" (if you will) is that maybe, just maybe, there is a Fantasy Island release coming from Sony on September 4th. But it won't be the second season, but rather the 1998 (atrocious) revival series which aired on UPN. It is easily conceivable that somebody at Sony may look at their catalog, not recognize they are two different shows (we know these people working in these studios aren't the brightest people out there) and see "well, we released season 1, so our next release is season 2." This would also seem to be much more in line with Sony offering primarily short-lived and less memorable series in their MOD offerings. Aside from Benson and (arguably) Rules of Engagement, Sony hasn't really done any TV on DVD MOD releases for any series which have been truly successful. Now, I may be totally wrong on this... but it seems more plausible than a season 2 release of the original series.
As for a falling out between Shout! and Sony, I suppose that is possible. But we've gone through longer spells with Shout! releasing nothing from Sony. Just in the next six weeks alone, we've got Designing Women S7, Diff'rent Strokes S3, and The Rookies S2 coming from Shout!... and two of those are new to Shout! Factory. Not to mention Get a Life The Complete Series in September. I'm pretty sure that is a Sony property, although I may be mistaken.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I think its an error as well. Shout! licenses titles from the studios for a set period of time as has been stated elsewhere. I doubt the rights would expire so soon. I also doubt Sony would yank the rights if something went wrong with their relationship with Shout. It just doens't make sense. Also Diff'rent Strokes S3 is still coming next month.
Either its an error or Sony is doing this as a test to compare sales of MOD vs pressed disc/licensed sets. I think this is unlikely though because it would have far less sales most likely vs a release of a pressed set that is already out. Alk of this is just speculation on my part. Just my 2 cents.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just asked them about it.
"What is up with Sony MOD releasing Fantasy Island season 2, couldn't that cut into your profit for the title?"
"We don't have the digital rights to that one" was the response. I think their deal with Sony is just fine, the MOD model is apparently quite different than dvd.
Anyway it is pure profit for Sony, so why wouldn't they capitalize?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Yes but apparently these are MOD discs not digital downloads. MOD discs still require some resources to produce. I don't think it's "pure profit".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks