What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection V3 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
b] (1951)_ Produced by Howard Hughes, this RKO film was directed by John Farrow. The film, with it’s comedic and quirky infusions, has become a fan favorite – even bordering on cult-like appeal by all accounts. The film is littered with a number of stars from the period including, Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Charles McGraw, Raymond Burr, Jim Backus and Philip Van Zandt._ _ Dan Milner (played by Robert Mitchum) is a not-so-lucky gambler who’s down on his luck. His luck may have changed for the better however, when he is invited to a posh Mexican resort. The deal

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
Great stuff, Herb, thanks for the review. Can't wait to get my hands on this set - and fingers crossed that Warners see fit to include Decoy in vol 4 ...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My only nit pick on these sets were the lack of special features. that bonus disc looks like a great remedy! Great review, I can't wait to get my hands on these, the other sets were alot of fun!

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Thank you for taking the time to review this set, Herb.

The bonus disc brings to mind a question; have there ever been any other feature-length docs on noir and, if so, are they available? The only thing I can think of are the two brief Max Allan Collins 'essays' on the T-MEN and RAW DEAL discs. It seems like such an obvious choice for a more thorough examination.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
On Dangerous Ground... one of my all-time favorite noirs (heck, probably in my top 30 all-time favorite films). It'll be mine!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Herb for a great review. I look forward to picking this up in a couple of weeks. Great news on the slimlines and I look forward to seeing Raymond Burr in one of his patented bad guy roles.

Maybe I'm dense (more than likely that's the case), but I'm lost at the meaning of this. Freer compared to what (his Born to Kill commentary?) and what could he not get into because of the legal department? Did he have some dirt on some of Mitchum's off screen shenanigans?

Steve

PS - thanks to Warners for putting a low price on these and for including multiple "Crime Does Not Pay" shorts.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Steve... thanks for the kind words. Just going by memory (and perhaps I'm the dense one here) but I recall Fast Eddie posting at the Blackboard and stating something to the effect that a few of comments were edited for content. I vaguely recall these were in relation to Mitch and his history with the ladies. I went back to check on that thread and it would appear to have already rolled off. For those who are truly fond of noir, I highly recommend The Blackboard. A number of very knowledgeable people post there on a regular basis, including Eddie.

http://members.boardhost.com/mrvalentine/

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
So Warners does have the DVD rights to Decoy? Both that and Dillinger were originally Monogram productions, so what's the deal with those? Does Warners own all of them, or just some of them?

EDIT: Almost forgot...thanks for another great review, Herb!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

I believe they own all of them Haggai, although there might be a few exceptions. Considering how many clips are featured on the extra disc, there's no doubt they own Decoy. Another Monogram I suspect we'll see sooner than later is, When Strangers Marry (1944), whether it appears in an upcoming noir set or in the Mitchum set.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Herb,

Congratulations on another great review (although myself I think George is actually the worst Montgomery to have Marlowed in the movies...) - I can't wait to get this set - and thanks also for pointing to Blackboard site which i shall certainly investigate further...I know this has been asked before but does Warners own the PRC library as well or is that MGM/UA/Sony now? It's DETOUR I'm thinking of, of course...

Thanks again!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Great review, but I'm P.O.ed that I can't get His Kind Of Woman in a separate disc! Maybe if Warners did a box for either Russell or Mitchum, who were both longtime RKO players.....

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

John... In the last chat they stated that another volume would be out by the end of the year (can't recall their exact wording - something along those lines). And when I asked about Side Street, they confirmed it would be among the next volume. Eddie Muller has already done the commentary for Crime Wave, so I'm guessing we'll see it in V4 as well --- can't wait.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Woah that's great, I wasn't expecting volume #4 until say the first quarter of next year at the earliest. It seems the previous two sets sold really well.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I am not too pleased with Warner's decision to go with slim cases on this one. In fact I am surprised the titles will not be available separately (while the more obscure ones in the Tough Guys collection will be). IMHO slim cases would work great for say the Thin Man collection, but the movies in this Noir collection are only loosely connected by genre. I may decide to throw away the cardboard box and mix in the titles alpabetically with the rest of my collection and slim cases would look odd mixed in with regular amarays. But it is just a minor nitpick. I am glad there is nothing to complain about as far as the quality of the presentation is concerned. In the future I hope Warner will provide both options (slim cases as well as regular amarays for those who may be interested).

-D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not going to happen, the reasons behind going to slim cases in the first place besides some cost savings is that the major retailers and many customers were screaming about lack of space.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I thought Warners promised us they wouldn't introduce any alternate packaging (slimlines, etc) on existing series so as to have the sets contrast too much.

Didn't they specifically mention they would only transition the slimline packaging into new boxsets and not "vol. 3, 4, etc" of any current series or actor/director/genre themed set such as the noirs, Bette Davis and so on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks