What's new

Battlestar Galactica: The Classic Series (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have this set? If so how is it. Since its Universal I guess its double sided, have there been any problems with the discs?

The reason I ask is because I had to order it online since I couldn't find it locally unfortuneatly.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This set had quite a few issues with it's double sided disks. I went thru several and was unable to find a Perfect copy, but at least it only had one side with a bad Pixel breakup. I'd be leary of dropping big bucks on it, but if you can find it cheap.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Dave how recently was this? Did you get the big head limited or the regular one that was put out after? I was willing to pay a bit for it since its harder to get around here I just hope I don't have many problems with the discs.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I can honestly say that the disks are double sided DVD-18's. I purchased the cylon head version and I had no problem with the set I purchased.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I got this set when it first came out with the Cylon Head packaging. Yes it on double sided discs, but I have not had any problems. It is a very nice set with loads of deleted scenes, several featurettes and a nice behind the scenes documentary with cast and crew interviews. There is also a commentary track with Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Herb Jefferson on the pilot.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well that is good news. I look forward to seeing this show again. While the new series is great this one is just special to me, I guess because I grew up with it.

Also was there any problems with the Buck Rogers set? As thats another one I want to get.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Same here and I don't honestly remember reading about any problems with this set other than people not liking the big head. Its a great set by the way. Nice transfers and lots of deleted footage.

I'm finally just finishing my Buck Rogers set and no problems with that one either.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I have not had any problems with the Buck Rogers set. It is the complete series. The only disappointment I had with this set is that there are no special features. I had heard that Gil Gerard, Erin Grey and Glen Larson were approached and interested in doing commentary and interviews but then they were nixed. Another minor disappointment is that they included only the theatrical cut of the pilot, rather than the television version. It would have been nice if they had either included both versions, or done what they did with Galactica. Include the television cut and release the theatrical cut separately.

Despite these shortcomings, it's still a nice set and I'm glad to have it, though. It's a major guilty pleasure.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I did not get the big head, and I've had a couple freazing spots but nothing terrible. The extras on this set are quite impressive and they overall experiance makes up for the minor few seconds.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I picked up The Big Head version, and it played just fine here.

I had no problem with Buck either - other than the show not being as good as I remember it from my childhood. While Galactica stood the test of time (cheesy, yes - but it had some quality to it), Buck was really painful to get through.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My Galactica plays fine, big head version. I put mine in another DVD case though. Buck on the other hand freezes on a Gary Coleman episode. I read a number of people had this same problem. As I had said in another thread about this episode, no loss. That is of course IMO. :)

Wanna bet Universal releases these again on single sided discs this time?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I finished viewing the B.G. "Cylon Head" version earlier this year. Didn't have any problems with the discs.

I also have the Buck Rogers set, but I got that one from "Santa" last Xmas since I was only interested in this series' 1st season. I've watched all of S1 in the set and didn't have any problems. I guess I was lucky with these 18's. I wasn't as fortunate with another Uni 18 set, "Earth 2". I had to get an exchange set for that one. Most of my TV/DVD 18's seem to play ok so far.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got the Cylon head version and when I pulled the last disc off the hub, I cracked it. I've never broken a DVD before. Universal was quite nice and mailed me a replacement disc for free.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I had similar problems with the hubs, but I took a nail file and filed them down. I just smoothed the edges of the hubs so that the discs were still held, but it was easy to snap them in and out. No problems with the BG discs themselves, although I did have problems with the Buck Rogers discs.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I have the original Cylon head version and haven't had any problems with it at all. I wish I had the regular sized box to fit all nice and neat on the shelf. Or that they'd at least have put BSG text on the side of the inner folding pack that was normal sized.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I got the regular box, and it froze up towards the end of the second part of Living Legend. I wiped the disc and it played fine.

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Cylon Head Box which I bought in late October 2003. No problems at all. My only complaint with this set although it has a lot of deleted footage and special features...is the whopping price of $119 retail. I'm sure you can find a good used one on Ebay or Amazon, but it was more like a big investment...especially since I was on a tight budget. I had to own it though before they pulled the Collector's Edition Cylon Head off shelves. If you have the Collector's Edition from 2003, and want to own the 2004 version for easy shelf storage, you'll be happy to know the shelf version fits in the foam package of the inner box of the Cylon Head edition just fine.

My buddy has the 2004 shelf size box and we experimented with the box. If only Universal would've packaged it like this from the get-go...then the fans could have the collectible head for shelf display, and the smaller, silver package for the shelf to store it with the rest of their DVD's separately.

The only other TV show I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting, and Gord knows this...is FALCON CREST. Let's just hope the rest of us FC fans get our wish of a great first season release this fall for the 25th anniversary of the series and with a vat of special features.

Like BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, FALCON CREST really takes me fondly back to my youth.

The BUCK ROGERS set was disappointing in that there are no special features. Some deleted scenes would be nice, but honestly, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA has a much stronger fanbase than BUCK ROGERS and from what I've heard, there was no big demand for BUCK ROGERS so that is why the special features were omitted.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, Best Buy sells the set for $84.99 in-store, definately worth that price and this is the newer release packaging, non-Cylon head. But, even at thast price, the set is really worth it. This is one of those rare sets that paying that price is definately worth, although I'm waiting for Universal to release the set in its thinpack packaging.

Jan Anderson

Auditioning
I recently bought an Australian R2 set of BG. Have no problems at all with the 6 DVD-9 discs. Excellent picture quality and 5.1 audio. Extras was included on a separate disc, and the price was right, $24.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks