What's new

How powerful is the PB12-Plus/2 sub. (1 Viewer)

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
What is this monster sub trully capable of doing? I am a potential buyer of this model and I am curious of its performance. Can it shake a couch? Make you jump out of your seat? Give some examples. It would be much appreciated. Thank you all at HTF.

The wolf.
Saul

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
The room is quite small. it is a 11x14 with 8 foot walls and slightly raised ceiling. Not to big at all.

The wolf.
Saul

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
REALLY. That sounds fantastic. Then with proper calibration it should deliver earth shattering bass. huh. You think I will have a hard time blending it in with my DEftech speakers ? Hope its not over kill. I do want to feel the action though.

The wolf.
Saul

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Brother, you'll feel it....believe me. I had a PB12-ISD/2 in a living room that pretty much opened up into the rest of the house, including a pretty large foyer with 18' ceilings. There were times when it seemed the house was coming down....and this was with a subwoofer that was less powerful than the "plus" version you are considering. You'll have plenty of headroom, so if you were to calibrate it and still wanted more (which would be hard to believe.....but let's go with it), you could just crank it up a little more and run it a few dbs hot, and still not even come close to making it sweat.

As for blending, if I could get my SVS to blend with my Magnepans - which are often a challenge - I'm sure you'll have no problem with your DefTechs

Saul_M

Agent
Real Name
Saul_M
Thanks. I can't wait to get ahold of that sub. Cool. It's nice to know I will have plenty of power at my fingertips.
How is the build quality on SVS subs?

The wolf.
Saul

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

That particular one is built like a tank. I've not seen their wood cabinets, but the cylinders and the standard black box subs are build very solid.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I recently just got my pb12/plus 2 out here in japan, my neighbor was like " D@*!, now thats a sub, I gave him a demo and he popped a huge smile, like wow thats sick. Im only pushing my sub at 1/4 the gain, and -7 in the lfe setting on my AVR, I havent even gotten my setup to reference level, just too much for my ears. That sub rocks, and will rock the walls as well, the hype is very true my friend, very true.

My setup
polk rti12s, csi5, fxi3, sony 7100es, marantz cc4300 cdp, sont 985 dvd changer, svs pb12 plus 2, bose 161s, xbox 360, panny 61 dlp, monster 3500 mkII, outlaw M2200 x 2.

Enjoy my friend, enjoy. Its allot of fun, trust me.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Saul,

My HT room is about 3000 ft^3, and I run a pair of 20-39 Plus cylinders (basically the equivelent of the PB12/Plus 2). You might wanna make sure you don't have any loose fillings (and, if you don't, you probably will after cranking it).....

mylan

Screenwriter
Ok, this may seem like a stupid statement but it almost seems the next model down would be a good fit, providing you do not want loose fillings, things rattling loose off your house, etc., etc.
It makes sense to me to use what you have rather than to only use "only 1/4 the gain". I am considering a PB12/plus 2 so this is really important to me. If the next sub down will do 90% of the other and you can save $600, it almost makes no sense to spend the extra$$.
Ok, end of stupid statement, you can go back to your discusions.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

lol, yeah, a PB12-plus/2 in a room the size of the OP's will pretty much have the capability to walk right up to you and kick you in the nuts.....over and over. You wouldn't be able to concentrate on the movie cause you'd have to keep one eye on the sub, not knowing what it will do next. Headroom to an SVS sub is like a giant club to you or me. The more it has, the better able it is to smack you upside the head :D

I look back at the first time an SVS ever kicked my ass with great fondness.....it was just a little 25-31 PCi.....sure looked harmless enough....

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

LOL....I have a PB-10 now....does that answer your question? I want to have kids one day for gosh sakes :D

mylan

Screenwriter
Well, we can't have kids but the question still remains, what does that extra $600 buy.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

I don't know if this helps, but when I had my PB12-ISD/2, I remember sitting in a (newer) movie theater when I saw "Troy" thinking, "wow....my bass at home is on par with a theater now". With the exception of an IMAX theater, I think one of the larger SVS's can pretty much give you "theater" bass assuming your space isn't ridiculous. I was getting the same sort of visceral impact at home that I was getting at the theater.

mylan

Screenwriter
Well you know my space: 18x15 room that opens into another 18x14 room and then on to an open staircase. I'm sure it is a large "space" to fill but the impact sitting in the same room should be factored in as well. I think I am wanting more "move the pants leg, feel it in my chest" kind of guy rather than the "moves the house off its foundation" type but, oddly, I have always thought that most movie theaters were lacking in bass, maybe it is the proximity aspect of it.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Well if you find theaters lacking in bass, then you should definitely go for one of the larger SVS's lol.

mylan

Screenwriter
We seem to have hijacked this thread Alan, what I meant by lacking was I have always thought that movie house bass was adequate but I did not get the visceral impact like some of the demos i'd heard at better stores. What I'm trying to accomplish is a good blend without the bass overwelming the mids and highs. I liken it to these "moving earthquakes" that I hear going down the road. Those things irritate me to no end.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

I hear ya. Unfortunately it's really hard to be certain as to exactly how it will be in your particular room, you know? All I can really tell ya is that I am quite certain you would not be wishing you'd gone with a 'smaller' SVS if you pulled the trigger on something like the topic subwoofer. I actually think the PB12-NSD/2 would be perfect for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks