Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Doesn't DC have any "Movie" quality heroes than just Batman & Superman?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#1 of 101 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:29 PM

Marvel has at least tried over the past few years [with varying levels of success] to bring other of their characters to the big screen. A few that I can think of:

Spider-Man
The Hulk
Daredevil
Elektra
The Punisher

DC/Warner seems intent on just rehashing old territory over and over again. You'd think they'd at least try to bring some of the other classics to the big screen. (I don't count Constantine because that was just a total mess) How about The Flash? Green Lantern? A Green Arrow movie could be great if done right.

Any thoughts?

#2 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:38 PM

Joss Whedon is working on Wonder Woman
I wouldn't mind:
Green Lantern
Flash
Aquaman
Green Arrow
Sandman
Jonah Hex
How about Batman Beyond?

#3 of 101 OFFLINE   Lenny Rakes

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:40 PM

I think Green Lantern if it was cast and scripted right, full space opera an all could have the largest degree of success.

#4 of 101 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:41 PM

Green Lantern, for sure. Flash would be awesome too.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#5 of 101 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:42 PM

David Goyer (Batman Begins) is working on the Flash.

I agree, many characters could make for interesting movies if done right. The technology exists to do most of them justice now fairly economically. Its whats on the page that counts most though. I'm cautiously optimistic that Whedon will turn out at least an interesting Wonder Woman...even if it is not what many of us will be expecting/hoping for.

#6 of 101 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 03:51 PM

James Cameron's Aquaman just recently broke box office records Posted Image

Posted Image
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#7 of 101 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 05:02 PM

I forgot to mention this earlier, but a Captain Marvel (or Shazam) movie is in the works. I think this could be good if they don't make it really campy.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#8 of 101 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 05:47 PM

Shazam was always cool and underrated. Not as good as Superman, but not hokey either.

Green Lantern? Not enough wide appeal.

Flash? Maybe. The TV show was good for a while before it tanked. I'd see it.

#9 of 101 OFFLINE   Paul>D

Paul>D

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 11:22 PM

Also the great thing about DC's movies are they are all done by Warner Bros - so there is a possibility that if they get a few movie franchises going they could do crossovers (how cool would a World's Finest movie be!).

With Marvel there are so many companies involved in their movies that crossovers are pretty much out of the question which is why Ben Urich in Daredevil no longer writes for the Daily Bugle because Sony had the rights to the Bugle name! And it's also why Kingpin can't appear in a Spider-Man movie!

Also I think after Wonder Woman that Green Lantern has huge potential as a movie franchise - a huge space opera with an almost limitless choice of supporting characters (with the miriad of GL Corps members)... with the right creative team it could be really good.

#10 of 101 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 11:42 PM

That's a hell of a billboard of a sig, Paul...
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#11 of 101 OFFLINE   Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 02:00 AM

If Wonder Woman a character not top tier like Superman & Batman can pull good numbers I expect stuff like Green Lanturn and Flash to come.

#12 of 101 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,108 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted July 02 2006 - 02:59 AM

J. Michael Straczynski wrote a Green Lantern screenplay treatment -- perhaps his favorite comics character outside of Superman -- for Warner Brothers back in the '90s, but it never went into production, coming as it did during a largely fallow era in the DC Comics/WB Pictures motion picture-development relationship.

Instead, that regime gave us Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

(Would like to read that thing sometime.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#13 of 101 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 05:14 AM

Wasn't there a rumour of Jack Black playing the Green Lantern?

#14 of 101 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted July 02 2006 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F
Marvel has at least tried over the past few years [with varying levels of success] to bring other of their characters to the big screen. A few that I can think of:

Spider-Man
The Hulk
Daredevil
Elektra
The Punisher

DC/Warner seems intent on just rehashing old territory over and over again. You'd think they'd at least try to bring some of the other classics to the big screen. (I don't count Constantine because that was just a total mess) How about The Flash? Green Lantern? A Green Arrow movie could be great if done right.

Any thoughts?

DC popped out V for Vendetta and Constantine. And Constantine was a hell of a lot better put together than Daredevil, Elektra, and the Punisher.

Outside of Spidey and X-Men, I don't see Marvel having a lot of success. FF did OK business. I wouldn't scream to my shareholders about it.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#15 of 101 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:11 AM

i think goyer needs a partner to 'edit' him. his work on blade trinity and the tv series really sucked. blade 1&2 worked cause the directors' visions were really strong. batman begins worked because of nolan. i hope goyer doesn't work on flash all by himself! =).

flash would make an interesting movie, the themes about time, speed and what it means for a person's life in relation to others. very interesting themes.

but the problem with DC comics is... the name itself... DC=detective comics. have you noticed that nearly all of the superheroes of DC are basically detectives? superman/clark kent centers around a mystery that he solves. same with batman/bruce wayne. that's why batman the animated series works brilliantly. look at each of the best episodes, there's a mystery that he must solve. and it also illustrates how smart he really is as a dectective. that's his REAL superpower. in fact, that is THE best superpower most of the DC superheroes have, is the smarts to solve a mystery. anytime a medium that is trying to recreate a dc hero away from the detective element... they loose it.

in another words, all these "mythologies" and other story/theme elements should be developed as a RESULT of the detective element. it's like in batman the animated series. it's in the mystery of trying to solve Commishioner Gordon's frameup that Batgirl is born. the story isn't about Batgirl's birth, the story is about the mystery but it causes the other elements to gel together.

hopefully, whomever works on the next DC property realizes this =).

#16 of 101 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:25 AM

Hey, I was going to mention V for Vendetta but it doesn't apply, sort of the way of the way Moore's other earlier works like Watchmen don't apply either.

Ooh, let us not forget that total crap-fest Swamp Thing 1 (and 2) as well.Posted Image

Green Lantern could make a very good movie (Hal Jordon, not Kyle), GL Corps and all.

I do like the idea of Green Arrow, basically because he could be played as almost as dark as Batman (and I know most of you just want to see the boxing glove arrow, at least once).Posted Image

#17 of 101 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:38 AM

Isn't Captain America A DC hero? Or am I just revealing my vast ignorance of which hero belongs to which company? Captain America seems like he'd make for a great cinematic hero.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#18 of 101 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M
Isn't Captain America A DC hero? Or am I just revealing my vast ignorance of which hero belongs to which company? Captain America seems like he'd make for a great cinematic hero.

Nope he's a Marvel character, but I agree a good film could be made with him. I also think that Neil McDonough would be a good Cap.

#19 of 101 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 08:00 AM

No, Captain America belong to Marvel. He was one of their first heroes along with Sub Mariner back in 1940s when they were still Timely Comics, IIRC.

Quote:
Outside of Spidey and X-Men, I don't see Marvel having a lot of success. FF did OK business. I wouldn't scream to my shareholders about it.

FF did well enough to be the 13th highest-grossing film of 2005, with receipts in excess of $150 million. Besides the films you have mentioned, other successful Marvel films include Blade & Daredevil. Blade continues to profit for Marvel with the successful launch of the TV series which had the highest ratings ever for Spike and beat the number of viewers watching a rerun on Lost.

Vertigo characters such as V & Constantine shouldn't really count towards DC since they come from a sister line that doesn't maintain a lot of continuity with the DC universe.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#20 of 101 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 08:07 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to Wonder Woman but I'd really like to see another Supergirl movie.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

Forum Nav Content I Follow