Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Adam-12," "Dragnet" & "Starksy" - Abandoned

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:05 AM

Not that this post will make a bit of difference, but here's hoping that Universal hasn't already given up on releasing "Adam-12" and "Dragnet" beyond the first season. The fact that "Emergency!" has already seen a second season release -- leaving the others to languish --- is suggestive of bad news indeed.

And, when (oh when!) will Columbia finish up "Starsky & Hutch" and release the final remaining season? I understand it's been released in the UK over a year ago (or more), but has anyone heard anything further?

Would be the unkindest cut of all to abandon the show with just one season left --- but, it wouldn't be the first time, I suppose.

Jeff

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCNY
The fact that "Emergency!" has already seen a second season release -- leaving the others to languish --- is suggestive of bad news indeed.

Jeff

Jeff, I would say that the fact that Emergency actually had a 2nd season release should be considered good news for the other Jack Webb shows. I'm looking forward to the rest of the 68-70 Dragnet, as well as Adam 12. We should just be a little patient. I wouldn't give up hope yet, or at least not until an official announcement is made by Universal.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:15 PM

I'm waiting on Starsky & Hutch also!!
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Patricia

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:50 PM

Season 4 of "Starsky and Hutch" came out in the UK in February. I assumed it would be released here around the same time because that's how it was with the first 3 seasons. But apparently not.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 06 2006 - 02:18 PM

Starsky and Hutch season 4 may not be so abandoned. Gord over at TVShowsonDVD.com announced yesterday (7/5) that Sony is planning on releasing it in the last quarter of 2006. Translation October to December. The link is
http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5987

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 06 2006 - 03:54 PM

The problem with older series is that there may be copyright issues that require more searching to clear. While a lot of newer shows could have this taken into consideration, a lot of older shows don't. While it could be cold feet, I'm willing to wager that a lot of the time it may be copyright clearance on these old shows that causes the backlog.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   marcSo

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 11:46 AM

I believe universal studios.turned off a lot of potential customers when they seem to release a lot of older shows without much care.double sided disc.episodes skipping and freezing up.I had problems on both dragnet 1967 season one and adam 12 season one.after my experience with these two shows that I really wanted to own on dvd.I did not want anymore seasons of these or any other double sided universal shows.I will say it seems like they are now releasing single sided disc hopefully they will continue with that pattern.It will definately give me the incentive to purchase future universal titles.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 02:51 PM

I had a lock-up/freeze problem with one side of an ADAM-12 disc, but after writing them and explaining the problem, they offered to replace it free of charge --- which they did, although it took nearly five weeks for the (problem-free) replacement to arrive.

I think we've seen the last of these double-sided discs, as evidenced by the change from double-sided to single-sided for the Season Two release of EMERGENCY!!.

However, whether or not DRAGNET or ADAM-12 will ever see second season release is still very much the question.

If nothing else, I've moved them next to my (also seemingly abandoned) first season releases of BARETTA, KOJAK and S.W.A.T. on the shelf so they won't feel quite so alone. Posted Image

For these latter three, let's face it. Were there not horrible television and movie remakes of S.W.A.T. and KOJAK, these two wouldn't likely have seen the light of day. As for BARETTA, perhaps they were expecting an O.J.-type "Trial of the Century" buzz to arise from Blake's sordid doings --- but that, like the second season, never materialized either.

Jeff

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
I had a lock-up/freeze problem with one side of an ADAM-12 disc, but after writing them and explaining the problem, they offered to replace it free of charge --- which they did, although it took nearly five weeks for the (problem-free) replacement to arrive.

I think we've seen the last of these double-sided discs, as evidenced by the change from double-sided to single-sided for the Season Two release of EMERGENCY!!.

However, whether or not DRAGNET or ADAM-12 will ever see second season release is still very much the question.

If nothing else, I've moved them next to my (also seemingly abandoned) first season releases of BARETTA, KOJAK and S.W.A.T. on the shelf so they won't feel quite so alone. Posted Image

For these latter three, let's face it. Were there not horrible television and movie remakes of S.W.A.T. and KOJAK, these two wouldn't likely have seen the light of day. As for BARETTA, perhaps they were expecting an O.J.-type "Trial of the Century" buzz to arise from Blake's sordid doings --- but that, like the second season, never materialized either.

Jeff

Actually I thought the SWAT Movie was pretty good and directed by Old Homicide Friend Clark Johnson. Go Meldrick !
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
Actually I thought the SWAT Movie was pretty good and directed by Old Homicide Friend Clark Johnson. Go Meldrick !

Granted --- It was vastly less horrible than, say, "The Honeymooners" or "Bewitched." I did see it, and somewhat enjoy it, but the final impression was that all it had in common with the television show was its title.

Jeff

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   MartyG

MartyG

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted July 16 2006 - 11:05 PM

Let's not forget that "Airwolf" too has also been abandoned unfairly.
Jack: "Mrs Palmer, you are going to help me. I'm not going to give you another choice."
Sherry: "You wouldn't dare hurt me."
Jack: "Make no mistake about it. I will do what I have to do."

24: "6:00 A.M. - 7:00 A.M." (#2.23: May 13th, 2003 - FOX.)

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 18 2006 - 06:00 PM

Glad to hear Starsky and Hutch will be out. I don't own any of them but did rent them from Netflix. I figured I probably wouldn't end up watching a second time.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLloyd
Glad to hear Starsky and Hutch will be out. I don't own any of them but did rent them from Netflix. I figured I probably wouldn't end up watching a second time.

STARSKY & HUTCH is one of the few shows of its type that I find actually improves upon repeated viewing.

Once you unravel the threadbare "plot" in the first viewing, subsequent plays allow you to enjoy all the side nonsense that pads out nearly every episode, the repeated use of the same sets and locations, and particularly the very odd relationship between the two title characters --- once seemingly so innocent, but now overflowing with strange subtext.

As a vehicle, it was >very< ripe for parody in a feature film. The Stiller film missed the boat by a mile (and mangled the characters beyond recognition) so here's hoping someone one day proposes another and different visit.

I probably enjoy something like ROCKFORD FILES more, but once you've seen an episode --- well, you've seen it.

Jeff

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 09:22 PM

Quote:
STARSKY & HUTCH is one of the few shows of its type that I find actually improves upon repeated viewing.

Once you unravel the threadbare "plot" in the first viewing, subsequent plays allow you to enjoy all the side nonsense that pads out nearly every episode
You're absolutely right, Jeff. The most extreme example of this must surely be the episode "Dandruff" which I just watched on the R2 S4 set. That's the one where the guys go undercover as hairdressers in a luxury hotel (L.A.'s Bonaventure, if I'm not mistaken), Hutch wears a wig and Starsky speaks with a fake "Inspector Clouseau"-style French accent for much of the episode! The "plot" seems to become totally irrelevant at times as cast and crew indulge in scenes of pure slapstick, full of crazy camera angles and weird lighting which makes you think everyone was smokin' pot while they were shooting this one! I had not seen this episode in many years and was initially shocked that they would do something this "far out", but once you accept this episode for the silly fun that it is, it's quite OK. Posted Image

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Patricia

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 11:01 AM

I agree with you both as well. This is my absolute favorite show and the only one that I will watch the episodes many times. You tend to catch stuff you might have missed the first few times too.

And, Lutz, I definitely agree with you about "Dandruff". It's pure fun and one of the few highlights in the fourth season, which I think could've been a lot better than it was.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 06:13 PM

Interesting. Better with repeated viewings? I figured I'd seen it once and it wouldn't get any better.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow