• Please log in to reply
1499 replies to this topic

#1481 of 1500 JonZ

JonZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 02:48 AM

I really wish this stuff was coming out next week instead of the following.
This way we'd have the long weekend to enjoy these discs.

#1482 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ

No kidding! Would LOVE to watch this over Thanksgiving with my family. Some of them never saw it. The horror Posted Image Posted Image

#1483 of 1500 Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 11:51 AM

I'm with you Tim, I've been itching to see this again for a couple months now. I can't wait to grab that new set.

#1484 of 1500 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ

Yeah, the 21st would have definitely been a better day to release these than the 28th.

#1485 of 1500 Josh.C

Josh.C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 01:36 PM

I agree with all of you on the release date. I'm surprised they wouldn't want it out in stores, especially knowing that the day after Thanksgiving is one of the biggest shopping days of the year.

Oh well, I must be patient

#1486 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:04 AM

2007 is really becoming a rewarding movie watching year already. Posted Image

Seen some really good films the past few days and late yesterday we decided on Superman Returns. Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban on Sunday, Superman Returns on Monday. Posted Image

This time was with about 7 of us and there were 3 among us that had never seen it before.

I won't go into another SR love fest again. I'll save you that. Posted Image but I will do a bit of it.

There are certainly more harder films that are intense and well made in 2006 like The Departed, United 93, Children of Men, and Flags Of Our Fathers. These are all terrific films that will no doubt garner some award nominations. But my favorite film remains Superman Returns. Alot of reasons for that but the biggest might just be due to it being the best movie going experience I had last year. Just a blast and pure cinematic enjoyment seeing this in a crowded IMAX screen. Loved every minute of it.

In fact, it was the awesome Plane Rescue sequence that propelled me to start the The Movies Greatest Action Sequences thread. Posted Image

We watched the HD-DVD version and the audio in Dolby True HD is quite stunning. It will give you that silly grin...those of you who've heard it know what I am talking about. Posted Image

One of my favorite all time Cool Cinematic Moments is right here. (taken from the standard def dvd). Enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Can't wait for the next one. Posted Image

#1487 of 1500 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:09 AM

It pains me that such a great film is only 3rd on my top ten list, but the other two just barely edged it out...

#1488 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 09:31 AM

Just shows you how good those first 2 are! Posted Image. I haven't seen The Fountain yet which I think is your #1...so it's possible I could edit that spot.

I remembered another great moment that I thought was quick but great nonetheless:

Lois Lane to Clark...
"Richard is a Pilot and loves Horror movies..."

Clark responds...
Posted Image

Love that reaction. Posted Image

#1489 of 1500 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 09:54 AM

I was hugely disappointed with this when I saw it in the theatres. I mention it somewhere in this thread but anyways I rented it on Blu-ray over the weekend and gave it another shot.

It actually grew on me and felt like a better film the second time around. Still has its problems, mostly with plot and pacing and motives but it didn't bother me near as much.

The plane sequence does bring a smile to my face everytime I see it. Posted Image I just wish there were more sequences like that in the film.

Tim, cool pics, but they look odd for some reason. The first looks like an oil painting from some fan.

#1490 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'm kind of new to this screen grab thing....and I also have ancient Power DVD software. Posted Image Plus some of those were during heavy action moments and they are kind of hard to just freeze & snap. Other than that I have no idea. Posted Image...And how would you look if you were trying to catch a plane on fire in mid air Posted Image Posted Image

Glad it worked better for you on another viewing and on Blu Ray Jason. Posted Image

#1491 of 1500 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 12:38 PM

Haha Tim, I love that reaction by Clark too. Really understated moment that went a long way in endearing me to Routh's portrayal of Kent. For what it's worth, this was my favorite film last year, too. I still haven't seen The Departed or The Fountain, both of which could challenge. But I doubt it. Posted Image

By the way, Tim, did you find the TrueHD track to be abnormally quiet at times? I mean, big action sequences rocked for sure, but during some of the more dialogue driven scenes, I had to turn it up a lot more than for a SD DVD. Same thing with the Lady in the Water TrueHD track. Didn't have the same problem with Miami Vice or Batman Begins, though.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#1492 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 05:38 PM

I did Brett. Had to be careful though. The other night we turned up the volume a bit and even increased the center channel to +2 (normally at 0)....but at big scenes, it was almost too loud if that's possible. There was no distortion though. I think that is one of the benefits of Dolby TrueHD is the very wide dynamic range.

But...as you point out, Batman Begins is a bit more leveled out than SR. On the first titles from Warner (Phantom, Samurai etc....) I have to turn up the volume WAY higher than norm.

Glad you liked the screenshots Brett. I knew you had it #1 as well. Posted Image Not sure if it's the "best" film of 2006 but far & away my favorite.

#1493 of 1500 Seppo

Seppo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 04:12 AM

The score is terrific in that plane rescue scene.

#1494 of 1500 Adam Santangelo

Adam Santangelo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Glad you liked the screenshots Brett. I knew you had it #1 as well. Posted Image Not sure if it's the "best" film of 2006 but far & away my favorite.

Nice Top 10 list, Tim. I only mention it because there aren't too many people who share my tastes. Superman (at #1), Rocky, United 93, Flags, Departed, and Children of Men are all on my list, along with M:i:III and, from your "still need to see" list, Pan's Labyrinth and The Fountain. I thought Babel was overrated *before* it won the Golden Globe, so my advice is to lower your expectations accordingly. You can also look forward to Letters From Iwo Jima, which was a nice companion to Flags of Our Fathers.

#1495 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Adam. Pretty cool in how are top lists are so similar. Posted Image And thanks for the Babel advice too.

I actually just returned from a matinee of Children of Men and man I was captivated even more the 2nd time. Think I need to alter my lists order a bit Posted Image Want to avoid a knee jerk response but may have consider a tie for #1. Posted Image

#1496 of 1500 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 10:59 AM

So, I should get this movie on HDDVD? Posted Image

Seriously, I have a XBox HDDVD drive so I'll see the picture quality, just not the sound quality. Posted Image

#1497 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 01:03 PM

ABSOLUTELY! No question Dome. Run now to get it. Posted Image I don't think you can get the Dolby TrueHD track yet with the XBOX add-on but you'll get a higher bit rate audio track that will dowmix....and of course the image will be improved as well.

Posted Image

#1498 of 1500 DavidPla

DavidPla

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 02:15 PM

All this HDDVD talk and those screenshots are making me depressed about my only DVD copy. Posted Image

#1499 of 1500 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 06:44 PM

Hang in there David, Warner Bros is going to be releasing a disc with both formats soon...most likely this summer, called Total HD. You can read about it here:

Total HD

Posted Image

#1500 of 1500 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 01:06 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But, my son loves watching the shuttle/plane scene. And it occured to me. That scene were Supes rescues the plane would have been an awesome way to introduce Superman if this was an origin movie. And yes, I know in the retconned Superman origin in the comics. Supes saves Lois from a crashing shuttle. But, watch the scene again and try to think of it as if this was the first time everyone from the pilot of the fighter plane, Lois, all the way to the baseball stadium crowd sees Supes. It would have been awesome.

And on a nitpick to the movie. For a non-origin movie. Its terrible that we don't see Superman until 35 minutes into the movie.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow