What's new

Terminator 2 Blu-ray Disc (a real review) (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If and when I get into bluray, I will wait for a dual layer redux hopefully with pcm5.1 sound. Still glad to see the video is improving in the new titles.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see this one has decent picture quality. As it's one of my favorite movies, I think I'll order it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great presentation, I just got through watching it. In this case, I prefer the cut of the film that I watched in the theaters back in 1991.

Crawdaddy

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the mini-review.
Did you get any more out of the sound than "equal" to any previous release?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, this is the fourth release of this film on a dvd format that I have in my collection, but I haven't done any comparisons to those previous releases. However, this afternoon, I was impressed by the audio presentation of the audio track I listen to. The disc has two audio options besides the commentary track. The one I watched the disc with was the 5.1 DD surround, but there is a DTS track too that I briefly sampled.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ten posts, totally irrelevant to the reviews, removed.
Don't side-track this thread again, please!

Thanks.

Cees

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think the reviewer must be visually impaired...? I have the disc and I've had 2 Samsung players this week and neither of 'em will play the disc correctly. For me, it's been stuttering judder, lost frames. The disc almost looks good but then somebody walking accross the screen appears to hop ahead.... It's subtle but must have happened 200 times during the film. BTW, I'm having the same issue with all the Lionsgate titles.

Discounting the judder, the disc stille doesn't look quite as good as the D-Theater tape. It looks very similar and very likely came from the same print. However, the tape has slightly more vivid colour.

I advise that nobody buy T2 till it's shown there is a player that will play it correctly. Neither of the Samsungs I've had can render it properly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, I never had those problems as I watched the dvd from beginning to end and then sampled it as I made some equipment calibration adjustments.

Maybe, I'm visually impaired?

Crawdaddy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Maybe half the discs are bad? Maybe half the players are bad? Somethin' not quite kosher is going on with Lionsgate titles and the Samsung player. Reports of judder with Lionsgate tiles are widespread.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I watched about 90 minutes of the T2 BD last night, and was mostly impressed. Quite a few scenes, including the canal motorcycle jump, look terrific. I did see the picture break up into motion artifacts for a very few seconds during Sarah's escape from the mental institution, but it has a pretty nice transfer overall.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It now appears that T2's judder problem may only manifest itself when one chooses DTS sound. After somebody on AVS figured this out, a quick little test seemed to back it up. I'm gonna watch it again, with Dolby.

Pete T C

Second Unit

I know this doesn't make sense if Blu-Ray's "54mbps peak" is actually true, but it sounds to me like the DTS + video is going over the allowable peak bitrate resulting in stuttering (a la Devil's Advocate 1st DVD pressing on Pioneer players). Could Blu-Ray actually have a lower peak bitrate than originally claimed?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Guys, I watched T2 with Dolby last night and the judder was gone. It stille doesn't look quite as good as the D-Theater tape. It's close though. D-Theater has a considerably higher bit-rate using the same mpeg2. I, again, put the tape in too and compared some scenes.

I watched all the Lionsgate titles employing DTS for audio the first time around. I'll call Samsung again and supply them with this info....

To me, despite the audio problem, T2 showed me some hope for Blu-way. I was plenty bummed out over the Sony titles from the first week....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks