Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Terminator 2 Blu-ray Disc (a real review)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 11:02 PM

High-Def Digest:

More: http://bluray.highde...erminator2.html

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 09:26 AM

If and when I get into bluray, I will wait for a dual layer redux hopefully with pcm5.1 sound. Still glad to see the video is improving in the new titles.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 09:58 AM

Glad to see this one has decent picture quality. As it's one of my favorite movies, I think I'll order it.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,625 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2006 - 10:39 AM

A great presentation, I just got through watching it. In this case, I prefer the cut of the film that I watched in the theaters back in 1991. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the mini-review. Did you get any more out of the sound than "equal" to any previous release?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,625 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2006 - 11:03 AM

Well, this is the fourth release of this film on a dvd format that I have in my collection, but I haven't done any comparisons to those previous releases. However, this afternoon, I was impressed by the audio presentation of the audio track I listen to. The disc has two audio options besides the commentary track. The one I watched the disc with was the 5.1 DD surround, but there is a DTS track too that I briefly sampled. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,717 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 11:18 PM

Ten posts, totally irrelevant to the reviews, removed.
Don't side-track this thread again, please!

Thanks.

Cees

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 02:47 AM

I think the reviewer must be visually impaired...? I have the disc and I've had 2 Samsung players this week and neither of 'em will play the disc correctly. For me, it's been stuttering judder, lost frames. The disc almost looks good but then somebody walking accross the screen appears to hop ahead.... It's subtle but must have happened 200 times during the film. BTW, I'm having the same issue with all the Lionsgate titles. Discounting the judder, the disc stille doesn't look quite as good as the D-Theater tape. It looks very similar and very likely came from the same print. However, the tape has slightly more vivid colour. I advise that nobody buy T2 till it's shown there is a player that will play it correctly. Neither of the Samsungs I've had can render it properly.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,625 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2006 - 02:53 AM

Wow, I never had those problems as I watched the dvd from beginning to end and then sampled it as I made some equipment calibration adjustments. Maybe, I'm visually impaired? Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:00 AM

Maybe half the discs are bad? Maybe half the players are bad? Somethin' not quite kosher is going on with Lionsgate titles and the Samsung player. Reports of judder with Lionsgate tiles are widespread.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 01:34 PM

Sorry Cees!

Posted Image

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 01:52 PM

any chance those deleted posts will make it to the extended cut of this thread?

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 02:18 PM

I bet they're savin' 'em up for the Boys Gone Wild special edition!

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:21 PM

Anyone know the bitrate of the DD version?

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 01:40 PM

I watched about 90 minutes of the T2 BD last night, and was mostly impressed. Quite a few scenes, including the canal motorcycle jump, look terrific. I did see the picture break up into motion artifacts for a very few seconds during Sarah's escape from the mental institution, but it has a pretty nice transfer overall.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 02:30 PM

It now appears that T2's judder problem may only manifest itself when one chooses DTS sound. After somebody on AVS figured this out, a quick little test seemed to back it up. I'm gonna watch it again, with Dolby.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 05:27 PM

peter jackson is working on it, but we don't know if it'll fit on a 25 gb bluray disc.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 06:32 PM

That's just wierd!!! An audio selection screws up the video?!?!?! If that's true... Blu Blu it.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 03:31 AM

I know this doesn't make sense if Blu-Ray's "54mbps peak" is actually true, but it sounds to me like the DTS + video is going over the allowable peak bitrate resulting in stuttering (a la Devil's Advocate 1st DVD pressing on Pioneer players). Could Blu-Ray actually have a lower peak bitrate than originally claimed?
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 04:36 AM

Guys, I watched T2 with Dolby last night and the judder was gone. It stille doesn't look quite as good as the D-Theater tape. It's close though. D-Theater has a considerably higher bit-rate using the same mpeg2. I, again, put the tape in too and compared some scenes. I watched all the Lionsgate titles employing DTS for audio the first time around. I'll call Samsung again and supply them with this info.... To me, despite the audio problem, T2 showed me some hope for Blu-way. I was plenty bummed out over the Sony titles from the first week....