What's new

Dylan and O&A are biggest draw on XM radio (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob Dylan draws about 1.7 million listeners on XM

Rock legend Bob Dylan draws about 1.7 million listeners on XM Satellite Radio, making his weekly show one of the most popular that the subscription service offers, said XM President and Chief Executive Officer Hugh Panero.
Washington-based XM has more than 6 million subscribers. Mr. Panero would not tell us which programs draw the biggest audience on a daily basis, but he did say that "The Opie & Anthony Show," along with XM's comedy and news channels, tend to be the most popular.
O&A now can be heard on WJFK-FM (106.7) and other CBS Radio stations across the country that air a censored version of the show while paying XM a syndication fee and allowing the duo to promote their satellite home.
"It was an opportunity to put two people emblematic of the XM brand in front of an enormous audience," Mr. Panero told us last week after delivering a luncheon speech at a digital press conference in McLean.

Whether O&A's partial transition back to terrestrial radio will become a model for other XM content will be determined on a case-by-case basis, he said, adding that dozens of public radio stations nationwide -- including WETA-FM (90.9) -- pay to air "Bob Edwards Weekend," highlights from the former National Public Radio host's XM show.

http://washingtontimes.com/business/...3905-1607r.htm

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But I thought O&A were failing on XM. Afterall that was the reason that they had to go back to terrestrial.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
....yeah, with all that scepticism, I don't understand it either ;)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Um... I asked about XM being able to monitor channel usage, so they could turnaround and delete unused channels and convert to higher rated themes, but was told that XM receivers only worked 1-way. If that's true, how do they know how many listeners are listening to Dylan and O&A?

I still contend that "Big Brother" is watching. (They can "watch" me listen to Da' Boneyard all day, I don't care.)

Doug

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most of these types of ratings are done by internet or mail survey, sort of like impromtu Neilsen ratings. Sirius does the same. I assure you, an XM receiver does not transmit any information.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Arbitron does ratings for XM. I know because I filled one out back in Feb.

Jason

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
how much of a delay is the cbs radio version of O&A? Even though i am in baltimore, i can't really get WJFK that well, or else i'd compare.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It airs the same time as the XM broadcast, except the last hours (after 9am) are exclusive to XM. There is a delay for bleeps, but aside from that, it is broadcast simultaneously. XM does old bits or XM sponsor commercials during the time CBS commercials are airing (~20 minutes an hour).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Can anyone steer me to a site that would have Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" shows listed by subject and date of broadcast?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Ron,
Thanks, I've seen that also.
Thing is it's neither chronological nor correct. I got gifted with 22 episodes on individual CDs recently, I don't know the provenance of these discs but they came complete with track listings and CDText.
At the end of each show the announcer mentions what the next show's subject will be, so I know what order they should be in. Problem is, I don't have a complete collection, and neither does the listing on the XM site.
So, I was assuming that since it's Bobby and all that some fan boy, somewhere, had the info online.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I like Bob's show mostly for his song introductions. After his introduction, even a bad song sounds good. His phrasing during his song introductions are incredible, just like his own song presentation. The biggest problem for me is that most of the time, I forget to listen. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks