Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Dylan and O&A are biggest draw on XM radio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 08:16 PM

Bob Dylan draws about 1.7 million listeners on XM

Rock legend Bob Dylan draws about 1.7 million listeners on XM Satellite Radio, making his weekly show one of the most popular that the subscription service offers, said XM President and Chief Executive Officer Hugh Panero.
Washington-based XM has more than 6 million subscribers. Mr. Panero would not tell us which programs draw the biggest audience on a daily basis, but he did say that "The Opie & Anthony Show," along with XM's comedy and news channels, tend to be the most popular.
O&A now can be heard on WJFK-FM (106.7) and other CBS Radio stations across the country that air a censored version of the show while paying XM a syndication fee and allowing the duo to promote their satellite home.
"It was an opportunity to put two people emblematic of the XM brand in front of an enormous audience," Mr. Panero told us last week after delivering a luncheon speech at a digital press conference in McLean.

Whether O&A's partial transition back to terrestrial radio will become a model for other XM content will be determined on a case-by-case basis, he said, adding that dozens of public radio stations nationwide -- including WETA-FM (90.9) -- pay to air "Bob Edwards Weekend," highlights from the former National Public Radio host's XM show.

http://washingtontim....3905-1607r.htm

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 01:15 AM

But I thought O&A were failing on XM. Afterall that was the reason that they had to go back to terrestrial.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 01:30 AM

....yeah, with all that scepticism, I don't understand it either Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:32 AM

Um... I asked about XM being able to monitor channel usage, so they could turnaround and delete unused channels and convert to higher rated themes, but was told that XM receivers only worked 1-way. If that's true, how do they know how many listeners are listening to Dylan and O&A?

I still contend that "Big Brother" is watching. (They can "watch" me listen to Da' Boneyard all day, I don't care.)

Doug

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miller
Um... I asked about XM being able to monitor channel usage, so they could turnaround and delete unused channels and convert to higher rated themes, but was told that XM receivers only worked 1-way. If that's true, how do they know how many listeners are listening to Dylan and O&A?

I still contend that "Big Brother" is watching. (They can "watch" me listen to Da' Boneyard all day, I don't care.)

Doug

Most of these types of ratings are done by internet or mail survey, sort of like impromtu Neilsen ratings. Sirius does the same. I assure you, an XM receiver does not transmit any information.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 05:07 PM

Arbitron does ratings for XM. I know because I filled one out back in Feb.

Jason

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 07:54 AM

how much of a delay is the cbs radio version of O&A? Even though i am in baltimore, i can't really get WJFK that well, or else i'd compare.
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L. Bisasky
how much of a delay is the cbs radio version of O&A? Even though i am in baltimore, i can't really get WJFK that well, or else i'd compare.

It airs the same time as the XM broadcast, except the last hours (after 9am) are exclusive to XM. There is a delay for bleeps, but aside from that, it is broadcast simultaneously. XM does old bits or XM sponsor commercials during the time CBS commercials are airing (~20 minutes an hour).

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 02:33 PM

Can anyone steer me to a site that would have Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" shows listed by subject and date of broadcast?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 09:38 PM

Henry,

A quick search brought me here

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 03:54 AM

Ron,
Thanks, I've seen that also.
Thing is it's neither chronological nor correct. I got gifted with 22 episodes on individual CDs recently, I don't know the provenance of these discs but they came complete with track listings and CDText.
At the end of each show the announcer mentions what the next show's subject will be, so I know what order they should be in. Problem is, I don't have a complete collection, and neither does the listing on the XM site.
So, I was assuming that since it's Bobby and all that some fan boy, somewhere, had the info online.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   MichaelBA

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 06:16 AM

Dylan still drawing big? I heard his show for the first time this week -- it was good!
He's got the bit between his teeth... all right!

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 01:33 AM

I like Bob's show mostly for his song introductions. After his introduction, even a bad song sounds good. His phrasing during his song introductions are incredible, just like his own song presentation. The biggest problem for me is that most of the time, I forget to listen. LOL

Forum Nav Content I Follow