Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else excited by the prospect of the Smashing Pumpkins reuniting?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 03:08 PM

I've been reading a bunch about Billy Corgan reforming the Smashing Pumpkins (sans D'arcy) over at VH1.com. It all started with Corgan taking out a full page ad in the Chicago newspaper a while back saying that he wants his band back. Well recently, he enlisted drummer Jimmy Chamberlain (no stretch as they worked together in the post-Pumpkins band "Zwan" and Corgan provided guest vocals on "Lokicat" on the recent Jimmy Chamberlain Complex CD) and they have hired a management company enlisting as the Smashing Pumpkins. There are some bumps in the road as guitarist James Iha and Corgan apparently had a pretty good falling out, but I read that Chamberlain is working to get Iha back in the fold. It seems that D'arcy is a foregone conclusion as Corgan and her had a huge falling out with Corgan going so far as to label her a "mean spirited drug addict" on his blog.

I have been a big fan of the Pumpkins for some time and personally hope that they return to their hard rocking roots a la "Gish" "Mellon Collie" and "Siamese Dream" which I feel is one of the best rock albums of all time.

Check out more here:

http://en.wikipedia.....ns#The_Reunion

http://www.vh1.com/n....21/story.jhtml
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 03:55 PM

I was a big Pumpkins fan thru Siamese Dream (I agree it's a classic) but was a bit turned off by Mellon Collie. I thought it was good, but pretentious at times. Having said that, I'd like to see them get back together.

...But not as much as I'd like to see a Soundgarden reunion.
Carl

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 12:09 AM

They're already starting to work on new songs for a new album.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 29 2006 - 05:39 AM

I loved Mellon Collie and Pisces, and really not much after that, though I think they did peak at Siamese. It is a tough call for me - I like Gish and Siamese about equally.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:41 AM

I don't know if I'm excited about it, but I'm interested. That Corgan solo album was a real snoozer! Actually, it's not bad as a background listen, but live it was terrible - that was a really dull show...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:43 AM

While I do like it, I really think that Mellon Collie would have worked a lot better if they scaled it back to a one-disc set. It would have been so much more impressive instead of sprinkling in mediocre or average songs amongst the gems.

Hmm, Gish vs. Siamese? I'll take Siamese every time for the quality of the songs and the MONSTROUS guitar tones! Posted Image To me, Gish's guitars sound a bit thin and dated. From what I've read, Corgan feels the same way.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 29 2006 - 09:29 AM

It IS dated, as was his hair at the time...but I still like the raw simplicity of it. It is what first got me to like them, and I still enjoy it (though I listen to Siamese more often) Rhinoceros seemed almost like it belonged on Siamese. Suffer is a great track too.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garcia
It IS dated, as was his hair at the time...

Too funny! For some reason, I think that Siamese just holds up better. perhaps I should have said due to the variety of monstrous guitar tones. Posted Image

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
post-Pumpkins band "Swan"
it was Zwan...and they sucked.
/pedant

I'll pass if the new stuff is anything like FutureEmbrace, Zwan, Machina, or Adore. Blech.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyiu
/pedant

I'll pass if the new stuff is anything like FutureEmbrace, Zwan, Machina, or Adore. Blech.

absolutely agreed. i dont own anything past melon collie, and everything i've heard since then, i didnt like.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyiu

My bad...typo.

I agree...after Mellon Collie, they went right down the crapper. I mean, it's so funny for someone that was raised on AOR like Boston and the such would just completely abandon that styling and go the complete opposite way into that electronic crap (IMO) that had no soul whatsoever.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 12:23 PM

Interested, but not excited. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 09:23 PM

Can Billy and James' creative differences coexist? Stay tuned...

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 03:55 AM

Oh very very very Interested.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like Billy finally realized that his solo stuff really blows and he NEEDS the Pumpkins.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sounds like Billy finally realized that his solo stuff really blows and he NEEDS the Pumpkins.

I HOPE this is the case. I want fat, chunky guitar playing, not synthesizers and keyboards. I remember right after Corgan's solo album came out he said if Pumpkins came back, it wouldnt be the Pumpkins we knew before. From a nostalgia standpoint, this might disappoint me a bit. Sometimes I think Corgan's a bit too pretentous for his own good. However, I'll check out whatever they try.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 06 2006 - 06:05 AM

With Iha working with A Perfect Circle now as well as solo, who knows what will happen. I love the work he's done with APC and would kind of prefer that he stays there...

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 06 2006 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson
I want fat, chunky guitar playing, not synthesizers and keyboards.

Me too, Josh, me too!

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 06 2006 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Me too, Josh, me too!

Personally, I just want to hear Jimmy absolutely ATTACK the drums! I went to see Zwan here in Atlanta just to hear Jimmy, and I was not disappointed. Best rock drummer alive.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 01:42 PM

yeah... whatever happened to *REAL* ROCK & ROLL w/guitars, attitude and the whole bit?

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow