Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Quartermass Films Region 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,239 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 11:16 AM

Any word on reissues of the Quatermass films such as Quatermass and the Pit? I though either Warner or Anchor Bay were going to release or re-release them for Region 1?

Eric

#2 of 12 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 12:34 PM

Was there ever anything concrete to backup the notion that Anchor Bay was going to revisit its Hammer titles? I remember something vague from like a con or something, but nothing that said, "Yeah, this is definitely going to happen".

Combine that with the very confusing situation of rights between Blue Underground and Anchor Bay, and I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 12 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 03:28 PM

There was talk of a new 16:9 revistation on some of them, (especailly the Hammer catalog) but I recall whomever owns/is buying the materials later backpedaling with-"Hmmm.....maybe not-they look good enough as they are" or something like that; I was really hoping for a remastered, anamorphic disc for QUATERMASS IN THE PIT/5 MILLION MILES TO EARTH
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#4 of 12 Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:02 PM

And hopefully OAR transfers on the first two, as well. Fox now has EXPERIMENT (via MGM/UA) and QII and AND THE PIT I imagine are still with Anchor Bay (unless something has changed).

It'd be nice for the BBC to put out some nice R1 authorized editions of the existing TV serials if they haven't already, too, but one thing at a time Posted Image

Speaking of which, does the Nigel Kneale serial, THE TROLLENBERG TERROR, on which THE CRAWLING EYE was based, exists?
-J. Theakston

#5 of 12 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,579 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston

Speaking of which, does the Nigel Kneale serial, THE TROLLENBERG TERROR, on which THE CRAWLING EYE was based, exists?

I don't think Kneale wrote Trollenberg Terror.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#6 of 12 Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:53 AM

Oops! My mistake... I was confusing it with the similarly cast "Abominable Snowman of the Himilayas".

There is no Yeti...
-J. Theakston

#7 of 12 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:59 AM

And so far as I know there's still never been a R1 QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (which is a pretty darn good picture).

#8 of 12 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 06:29 AM

hummmmmmmm.....been a long time since anyone mumbled the words "Quatermass Xperiment".....so i thought i would do so...that SOMEONE would know there still IS intrest in the title....even a DVD-R??  (don't hit me!!!)

#9 of 12 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'll take a domestic release the restored BBC serial set (which STILL hasn't happened four years later), over the Hammer movies anyday.

#10 of 12 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 04:53 PM

Having just gotten into (well, back into) the Hammer flicks, I'd love to see any of the Quatermass flicks. Seriously, how it is I've never seen the spiritual ancestor of Doctor Who is beyond me.

#11 of 12 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 12:44 AM

My understanding is that Blue Underground has the old R1 Anchor Bay Hammer rights.  The last statement I saw on the subject was that the current rights holder felt the market for Hammer was already saturated with discs so there was no point going back to the well.

#12 of 12 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted February 03 2010 - 02:13 AM

perhaps....but some wells hold a great deal of water.   /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif