What's new

HD-A1 - Severe Buyer's Remorse (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I'm taking this thing back. Combination of factors which tell me that now is not the time to buy into HD-DVD:

1) The thing just plain doesn't work properly. Even with the 1.2 firmware, the thing has bugs all over the place.

2) Blu-Ray is getting serious marketing push via Best Buy while HD-DVD has been relegated to gathering dust on the back shelf (I don't like it, just stating facts).

3) Some reports that Best Buy is REFUSING to sell HD-DVD units to customers, stating they are sending them back to Toshiba.

4) CEO of Toshiba making public statement about being open to a unified format. IMO, this is proof positive that Toshiba is getting desperate.

5) Title delays with no explanation and no new release date. Makes me wonder if studios are getting cold feet.

Hate to be all doom and gloom, but that's just the way I see it right now. The picture and sound quality are fantastic (when it works), but I have a gut feeling that if I keep buying into this I'm going to get burned. I think alot of other folks feel the same way.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

That is a pretty big assumption. I certainly do not. The point being that your opinion and my opinion are single data points and neither is necessarily indicative of the larger scope of the situation.

- Walter.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

We can choose to buy into the FUD ... or not. We also seem to pick and choose what we want to believe or not ...

Regards

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Hey, I want HD-DVD to succeed because if the bugs are ironed out it would make a great format. But you can't deny that there are some serious obstacles. Some folks are willing to take the gamble, not me. If Sony spends more maketing $$ and Best Buy favors their product, it's game over IMO. I'm waiting until at least this Christmas to buy in.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Welcome to the world of the early adopter. :) If you get shaky knees ... then this is not the game for you. Sit back and watch ...

$450 just isn't enough to break me. If it was ... then I have other financial problems far greater than this.

Regards

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
What Michael said.

With the pleasure of enjoying spectacular HD images comes the risk of purchasing a format that may fail or remain a niche for years to come. Life is too short to worry about it, IMHO. For me the benefits merit the risks. Not trying to disuade you; if you are uncomfortable with the current dynamics then you should return the player.

Cheers,
Walter.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Loving my A1 every dang time I use it! And that also includes CDs and SD DVD. And I can only anticipate some spectacular releases coming this Christmas shopping season.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Love mine and I am contributing by keeping my player and buying hd dvd's. If no one buys anything neither format will win.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Exactly, I spent $500 the day the A1 streeted and have zero regrets. A small price to pay for such excellent PQ and upscaling.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Nice veiled insult at my (perceived) financial situation.

Anyway, my main beef is the thing not working correctly. It's got the 1.2 firmware already and I didn't want to have to send it in to Toshiba and wait weeks for it to be repaired (I don't think my local Best Buy has one to exchange, either). But, I just got off the phone w/ a Toshiba rep and they are sending me another firmware upgrade, 1.4, which I didn't even know was out. So - I'm going to give this thing another try because I don't think I can live without HD movies another 6 months.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it is pretty addicting. :)

Sorry you are having problems with your HD-A1. I'm still running the original firmware with no problems yet ( knock on wood. ) I keep wondering if I should upgrade the firmware but have held off so far. Good luck with 1.4

One question: Are you using the Toshiba remote? If yes, seriously consider replacing it with a learning remote as there is much speculation that a lot of the issues with the player stem from the remote. (I programmed my MX-500 the first night and have never used the Toshiba remote since.)

- Walter.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The remote could definitely be better, but I don't think that's where my problems lie. I'm having mostly audio problems viewing special features...sounds like skipping or warbleing...sort of an under-water sound hard to describe. Most present when listening through coaxial digital out through receiver, also present though less pronounced through HDMI to TV. I started hearing it in the audio of the main feature last night as well (Phantom of the Opera).

Tosh guy said that 1.4 addresses certain audio and HDMI problems, so we'll see

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

These two are wrong. Just got back from my local BB and while BD had the front display on an isle cap the A1 was set up in the Magnolia area on a 70" plus tv. And yes, they were forsale.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Scott. I had zero problems with my A1 but did the FW upgrade anyway. Try an exchange and give it another go.

Also, No one is insulting you. Were just stating that for a brand new format, brand new players it's very inexpensive for this hobby of ours, which can be very expensive.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There is no insult intended. It's just that home theater is not a cheap hobby and never was.

It's actually more like a big black hole that just keeps sucking our money down into it. :)

In many ways ... being a first adopter is like playing the stock market. If you can't afford to lose ... then you should not play. If you still play ... then there is some desparation or addiction going on. Gotta win on the ponies ... this time my ship will come in.

Regards

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

That has not been my experience with 2 Best Buys in the area, or many others' experiences from reading AVS.

Also, a few days ago the Best Buy website had the A1 available for order. Now they have removed the "order now" button. Curious.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just called and was told it's not available for online purchases but, if you click on "Store Locator" mine came up with 4 stores I can go to and pick one up at.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

I have an A1 on order. In fact, since it hasn't shipped (TV AUTHORITY
has it on backorder) I can easily cancel the order based on your post.

I'm willing to hang in there despite the recent announcements
from the Toshiba camp that are rather discouraging.

PLEASE let us know if the new firmware upgrade fixes all the issues
you have been having problems with. It is very important that
people like who own a player, help others still in the decision camp.

Meanwhile, thanks for the feedback in this thread. We all
greatly hope that ugradingt he firmware solves your problems.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

what would those have been?
Ron, I have to say the impression I'm getting from just a few of your last posts is that you're biting your nails down to the roots over this purchase. If anything, I think you are setting yourself up for a pleasant surprise- at least I hope that will be the case.

fwiw, I'm still loving mine as well (only one irritating issue which i will post about in the proper thread) and it is still on the original firmware.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the recent anouncements from Toshiba are discouraging. I doubt there is going to be some new unified format. It's about universal player support.

I think Toshiba wants dual-players because many of the studios will then pick HD as the disk of choice because it is cheaper to manufacture. It would be a matter of economics.

Looking at things now, as compared to say the beginning of the year, I think Sony has reason to worry with all the delays of their own player and MPEG-4. HD-DVD will have a jump on them at least 6 months.

I personally hope for dual players, but I guess it won't be a big deal to buy 2 players.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ron,

I had the occasional glitch on my HD-A1 purchased in mid-April. Froze up on Van Helsing and Jarhead. I upgraded to the 1.2 software and the thing's been absolutely flawless ever since. I will get the 1.4 disc when Toshiba makes it available as I want better HDMI compatibility if and when I ever get a set that has HDMI inputs to replace my current component-only set.

I've had no audio problems yet, either via optical digital cable to receiver or 5.1 analog connection.

It is possible that Scott just got a defective player, there are a few that aren't helped by updates but they are pretty rare. Most owners of 1st generation software players report problems solved with the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks