-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Discovering more tv shows on dvd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 11:04 AM

This place has been a godsend to me when it comes to discovering new tv shows on dvd. Right now I am in the middle of the Gilmore Girls S2, but I would like more suggestions for shows that I could get into.

Here are a few other shows you fellow HTFers got me into:

Smallville
Roswell
Felicity
The 4400
Alias

I am really enjoying the family drama of Gilmore Girls right now. It's a nice change from the usual action packed sci-fi shows I watched. What other great family dramas are there that I could devour?

Thanks
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#2 of 16 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 11:09 AM

Only season 1 of Everwood is available on DVD. But another copy sold might help convince Warner Bros. to release more episodes. Posted Image

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 16 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted June 27 2006 - 11:15 AM

I got into Buffy the Vampire Slayer partly due to this place. If you haven't watched it, I recommend you do. All seasons are available.

The spin-off, Angel is also pretty good.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#4 of 16 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 27 2006 - 02:54 PM

Posts from fans of various TV shows on this forum have persuaded me to check out quite a few series that I initially had no interest in watching. In most cases, I started by renting them on Netflix but now own the complete DVD collections (or as much as has been released).

My list...
Firefly
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Scrubs
The Job

The 4400 and Rescue Me are on my list to check out next.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#5 of 16 Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 03:32 AM

If you're looking specifically for family dramas, I recommend checking out "Once and Again" with Sela Ward and Billy Campbell. Exceptionally well-written drama from Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick, who were the creative forces behind "thirtysomething" a few years earlier.

#6 of 16 Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 05:42 AM

Not a family drama, but a dark supernatural thriller that was terrific..ABC didn't stick with it and canned it.

Miracles (2003)

#7 of 16 Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 03:39 PM

Here are some shows I got into on DVD:

Lost
Firefly
Six Feet Under- technically a family drama Posted Image
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Wonderfalls
Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared

Someone recently suggested Farscape and La Femme Nikita to me.

#8 of 16 ethanTo

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:01 PM

Family dramas people!

I will second the vote for Once and Again, the only downside being that Season 3 (the final season) doesn't have so much as a release date, that I'm aware of...poor sales...but passionate fans, last I heard it was in a sort of limbo. A shame.

I will toss into the mix ROSEANNE, which just released its fourth season recently. Yes, I realize it is a sitcom and not a drama, but it covers a lot of dramatic territory over its run, and without a doubt, the relationships between the castmates are more tender and touching than those in most dramas. The leading actors (Roseanne, Jackie, and Dan) are simply amazing actors, and I believe were at least nominated about every year the show ran for awards. As far as family drama goes, this show was benchmark.

I will also add Sopranos, which I believe of currently running dramas, is truly THE family drama of the day. And though I've not seen it, I've heard that Six Feet Under is also amazing.

#9 of 16 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:40 AM

Well, for dysfunctional family comedy/drama (and dysfunctional workplace comedy/drama) try Rescue Me. The second season was just released on DVD. The adventures of a boozing, philandering, haunted New York firefighter, his family, friends and co-workers in the post 9/11 world. Brilliant stuff from Dennis Leary and Peter Tolan, goes from gut-busting comedy to wrenching tragedy (and sometimes back) in a hearbeat. The best show on TV that nobody's watching.

For pseudo-family drama (with the usual workplace surrogate family) and medical mysteries that are a lot more fun than E.R. there's always House, M.D.. (2nd season just out.) The still-hot Sela Ward even had a recurring role in this one. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#10 of 16 John Carr

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 04:22 AM

American Dreams Season #1 and Everwood Season #1 are both among the best family dramas I've ever seen. Unfortunately, there's no release dates on the following seasons, but don't let that stop you from enjoying both these great series!

Also, One Tree Hill is a great family drama/comedy with 2 seasons released so far. And don't miss Freaks & Geeks and it's follow-up Undeclared!

Dead Like Me Season #1 & #2 is among the best TV shows ever done! I call it my best blind buy.

#11 of 16 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 05:05 AM

If you want to go back a few years, give The Waltons a try. I will also cast a vote for Once and Again, Everwood, and American Dreams. Also Veronica Mars provides an interesting dynamic between father and daughter. Almost everyone who has watched this show loves it.

#12 of 16 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,358 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 02:01 AM

Try "Popular," for those of you who are sick of teen dramas like 90210, Dawsons' Creek and One Tree Hill, etc. Popular has to be seen to be believed. I won't even try to describe it here...

#13 of 16 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
Try "Popular," for those of you who are sick of teen dramas like 90210, Dawsons' Creek and One Tree Hill, etc. Popular has to be seen to be believed. I won't even try to describe it here...

Popular rules!!!! in a perfect world, Mary Cherry would've become as popular a TV character as The Fonz or Stewie. She could've been a hugely beloved character.

#14 of 16 Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 06:14 PM

I think Arrested Development and The West Wing (Aaron Sorkin's seasons 1-4, strictly) are the two best shows ever made. Arrested Development would fill your family funny quota. On The West Wing, the President's staff is like a created family. I'd say definitely check those two out. They've got amazingly strong pilots and the tone is completely set by episode three for each show, they only get better, funnier (Until Aaron Sorkin's departure of course).
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#15 of 16 Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:22 PM

I agree about Once and Again too, a great show. As is The Waltons, as Doug said.

As for myself, I discovered many TV shows on DVD - some of my very favourite shows I've never actually seen on TV and got into with a chance blind buy, such as Frasier, Scrubs, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, 24, The West Wing, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Cheers..

#16 of 16 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 03 2006 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
On The West Wing, the President's staff is like a created family.

That's true of most "workplace" shows, from NYPD Blue and the various Star Treks through M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore and Taxi. Another workplace pseudo-family, in the comedy/drama division, is Aaron Sorkin's other TV series, Sports Night, one of the best shows half of you have never heard of. (And for more dysfunctional stuff from Dennis Leary, this time playing a boozing, philandering cop, check out The Job. (Featuring Dianne Farr, Lenny Clarke and a number of other actors who would end up in the Rescue Me stock company, as well as Leary pals like Liz Hurley and Gina Gershon in rare TV guest-shots.)

Regards,

Joe

Forum Nav Content I Follow