Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Advent 34" Wide Screen CRT Flat Tube HDTV (HT3461A) - thoughts???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   kuliddar

kuliddar

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 05:06 AM

Hi all,

I came across this CRT widescreen model at best buy and would like to get some of your thoughts. I`ve never heard of this manufacturer before and how it performs. Since it`s nearly impossible to get 34inch widescreen CRTs these days I`m hoping it`s a decent product. Any info would help.

Thx

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 29 2006 - 10:51 AM

Advent is Best Buy's "private label" TV brand. Like Sears Kenmore or your local supermarket's "store brand" soup, it is made by an established manufacturer, branded under another name and sold exclusively through one retailer. This arrangement allows Best Buy to pay less and thus charge less. I have no idea who actually makes the sets, and the Advent brand hasn't been around long enough to generate much of a track record, but I can only assume that, as with Sears and the supermarket, it is in Best Buy's best interest to make sure that its "store brand" products provide good value for the money. Maybe not all the bells and whistles or quite the quality of the name brands, but solid construction and "good enough" quality at a given price point. Basically Best Buy introduced the brand to capture sales that were otherwise walking out the door and going to Wal-Mart, Costco or Sam's club because the brand names were too pricey and because they don't carry the real no-name brands. (Wal-Mart has similarly launched a "captive" line of electronics if memory serves.)

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 02:40 PM

Advent was not a Best Buy brand, although a portion of the current Insignia tv's (the Best Buy brand) are made by the same Chinese factory that make the Advents.

Advent was/is a company founded by Henry Kloss. They even have a website.

http://www.adventtv.com/company.html
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 29 2006 - 02:56 PM

Thank you Jerermy. I have no idea how I managed to mix-up Advent and Insignia, not to mention suffering total amnesia about Advent's long history in the AV world. (I owned Advent speakers for years, for pete's sake. Posted Image)

Kuliddar please disregard everything I said Posted Image

Joe

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 06:26 AM

I think it is a cryin shame what has happened to Advent in the last 5-10 years.

Like Joe DeMartino, I owned several pair of Advent speakers over the years and they were some of the very best of their time. Full range 40 pound bookshelf with genuine walnut cabinets for about $125 each.

Henry Kloss was so far ahead of most everybody else. He designed and sold a front projection TV system about 25 years ago!

Alas, he was not a good business man and Advent is pretty much of a joke now.

Henry Kloss was way ahead of his time.