Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A NEW HOPE for unification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 12:59 AM

Just saw this today:
http://today.reuters....BA.xml&src=rss

http://www.gizmodo.c....yer-183618.php

#2 of 73 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, you beat me to it. Posted Image

Maybe there is some hope in the universe after all...

Dated June 26, 2006

http://news.com.com/....3-6088269.html

Quote:
"TOKYO--Toshiba said Tuesday it would still like to develop a unified format for advanced optical DVD discs, but two competing--and incompatible--products are likely to hit the market at first.

Toshiba is a leading proponent of next-generation HD DVD optical disc technology, which competes with the Blu-ray standard promoted by Sony and Matsushita, a maker of Panasonic brand electronics.

"We have not given up on a unified format. We would like to seek ways for unifying the standards if opportunities arise," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told an annual shareholders' meeting.

The failure of the two groups to settle on a unified format has resulted in a costly battle similar to the VHS-Betamax war that caused widespread consumer confusion in the late 1970s and mid-1980s.

Toshiba, Japan's second-largest electronics conglomerate behind Hitachi, in March started rolling out the world's first HD DVD players in Japan.

Story Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. "

My response to this:

THEN DO IT!

Why are we even in this format war now, if this is really how they've felt about it? Or did something change?

If they really felt this way, why did they walk away from the negotiating table months ago?

What "oppurtunities" are they looking for? You either make it happen or you don't.

I've said all along: I would have rather not seen SQUAT in the year 2005 or 2006 if it meant a solid, awesome, unfied HD format with 100 percent support that everyone could count on, no questions asked. It would be worth the wait to get it done right, imo.

Even I would (would have) early adopt under that flag at the drop of a hat. And I'm someone who's never early adopted in over 30 years of this game.

THAT is the kind of potential customer this silly format war has turned off and turned away. I KNOW I'm not the only one, by far, that feels this way.

I still would if I see this format war put down and put to bed. If I can get high quality hardware from an A grade CE company with full studio support? No question about it. My money's on the table.

I won't get my hopes up, but damn it all if it doesn't feel kind of good to have some real hope...ANY kind of hope...

#3 of 73 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 02:54 AM

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! STAR WARS IS COMING OUT TO HD!!!!!!?

#4 of 73 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 03:39 AM

What a joke. If Toshiba wanted to do this, they could have last summer.

#5 of 73 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi

LOL, I wish. That would certainly finish it right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron

Indeed.

If I recall correctly, weren't they the ones that basically walked away from the negotiating table, saying "no", and assuring us all of the cycle of frustration and futility we're all in now?

To be fair: There's plenty of blame to go all the way around...

#6 of 73 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron

Maybe the Sales of the players is not what they (Toshiba) expected.
With Unification they both have a chance to stay afloat for awhile until some new format comes along.

#7 of 73 OFFLINE   James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
That was my first thought as well. LOL Then I saw how many replies there were, so I knew that couldn't be it.

...I clicked the link anyway.

#8 of 73 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 04:37 AM

It's the only way I could get people to click the links Posted Image

#9 of 73 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Maybe the Sales of the players is not what they (Toshiba) expected.
With Unification they both have a chance to stay afloat for awhile until some new format comes along.

I would guess that Tosh is having a very difficult time manufacturing Players and is finding them extremely costly.

We all know supply is tight, so tight that some Best Buys have sold their display models. We also know that visibility of HD-DVD is dropping now that BR is out, despite HD-DVD having better quality. Several members have reported that the HD-DVD displays at stores have been replaced with BR displays.

Plus, Intel's shifting production to Core processors leaving fewer P4's in the channels, making it harder for Tosh to aquire components if they intended to stay with the Laptop approach.

Tosh's hybrid discs are so expensive that no one will buy them over regular DVD's, they're usefull only to those who've adopted. They're also bumping their heads against the 30 gigabyte limit, and they haven't even done HD extras or one of the 3 hour+ movies yet.

Tosh might be feeling the pinch of trying to fight a format war alone. Components and Visibility could be getting tight, hybrids aren't what they were meant to be, and the space limitations may have studios concerned. They could be deciding it's time to cut losses and convert as gracefully as possible.

#10 of 73 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 07:40 AM

Toshiba wants to get 600,000 players into homes this year. At a $200 loss per unit sold that comes toa loss of $120,000,000. Unless they are getting serious support from other HD-DVD members, I'm sure they can't keep that up forever.

#11 of 73 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 08:39 AM

" Tosh's hybrid discs are so expensive that no one will buy them over regular DVD's, they're usefull only to those who've adopted. They're also bumping their heads against the 30 gigabyte limit, and they haven't even done HD extras or one of the 3 hour+ movies yet.

Tosh might be feeling the pinch of trying to fight a format war alone. Components and Visibility could be getting tight, hybrids aren't what they were meant to be, and the space limitations may have studios concerned. They could be deciding it's time to cut losses and convert as gracefully as possible "

There are an awful lot of ifs,buts and maybes in there Posted Image I mean I dont think Bluray have done HD extras or a 3hour+ movie yet either , have they ? Maybe Sony's ™ rootkit sin has come back to haunt them ? Or the PS3 really is just crap at playing everything else apart from games Posted Image

Sorry, Im not into either format yet , I think Im suffering from 'speculation hypernausea syndrome' caused by the fact that there really is another treasure chest of gold there for all concerned if they'd just wise-up to a single format ! Hardware manufacturers can plan ahead and focus design energy, studios can make us buy Men in Black and the bloody White Album again, and we consumers can all say 'YES' , We're all in (eventually ) !! Money changes hands, nobody's unhappy !

Rant over ,
~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#12 of 73 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:36 AM

...and I just ordered a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

Somehow I think I just made a HUGE mistake!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 73 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much Ron. Worrying takes the fun out of being the first on your block to have one.

#14 of 73 OFFLINE   Cavan.B

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:57 AM

There's always a risk as an early adopter. Sometimes big, sometimes not. We'll have to wait and see what happens here, so don't freak yet Ron, just enjoy.
"...the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes." -- Sen. Ted Stevens (AK)

"Who do you wanna nuke, Barack? Who are you afraid of?" -- Fmr. Sen. Mike Gravel

Those round, shiny things...

#15 of 73 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 11:39 AM

Congrats Ron!!! you wont be dissappointed...

#16 of 73 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 12:10 PM

Ron,

The Toshiba is a very solid standard DVD player. Even if HD DVD fails, you can still use it for solid 480p component performance on your display......and if you do upgrade your display, it upscales commerical SD DVD very well.

Think of it this way.

#17 of 73 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 12:55 PM

I don't think Toshiba is waving a red flag here, they're simply stating that they would like to unify if the "situation arises". The best we could hope for at this point would be a dual format player.

#18 of 73 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 01:12 PM

Ron, all. Don't be upset! Look at the internals of the Toshibas!
http://www.highdeffo...ead.php?t=25018
The later players will NEVER again be of this kind of build quality!

#19 of 73 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 08:18 PM

Toshiba says still wants unified DVD format
HD-DVD, Blu-ray rivalry similar to 80’s VHS, Betamax battle

Reuters
Updated: 7:38 a.m. CT June 27, 2006

Quote:
"TOKYO - Toshiba Corp. said on Tuesday it would still like to develop a unified format for advanced optical DVD discs, but two competing — and incompatible — products are likely to hit the market at first."

Yes, I'd have to say that is likely. Posted Image

Quote:
"We have not given up on a unified format. We would like to seek ways for unifying the standards if opportunities arise," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told an annual shareholders' meeting."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13570777/

#20 of 73 ONLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 10:45 PM

Jeff,

Why are you repeating the first post? We all can read.

Cees

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow