Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about... Lethal Weapon -- in High Definition

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,600 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 02:46 PM

Shane Black's script for Lethal Weapon was at the top of the industry news in 1987.

The news almost two decades later is that Warner's new High Definition release of Lethal Weapon is yet another perfect transfer and release in the new format. If there is a 1080i problem here, I'm not seeing it.

The image, which is screen-filling at 1.78:1 has the stability, color definition and overall resolution of a film print when viewed from a nominal distance. I take that back. It has better image stability than a film print.
Grain structure is perfect, as can be measured by the high contrast main title sequence running over high speed negative footage shot over L.A. at night. The difference between the foreground lettering and background film element tell the entire story. Everything is at it should be.

What a pleasure to be able to view this crowd pleaser in full HD resolution.

I couldn't be happier with this release, which comes Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the review Robert. I'm picking this gem up on Tuesday!

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 25 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hopefully my preorder will be early enough at Amazon to get it soon. I'm still waiting on Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

- Steve

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 03:26 PM

I heard the transfer is not the "Director's Cut." True? And if so, how much am I missing? Posted Image
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the VHR, Robert!

Anyone, which cut of the film is this?
DTS?
Thanks.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,605 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 06:12 PM

theater version, no DTS

all-banner.jpg

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 01:48 AM

Is this another a 1080i master 'faked' to 1080p? Just asking since it's a catalog title.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2006 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Is this another a 1080i master 'faked' to 1080p? Just asking since it's a catalog title.
I thought Warner pulled those from future releases like this week's release of Lethal Weapon?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 03:15 AM

My opinion (full review at http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=8746 ) is that this is one of the worst HD-DVDs released yet from a video standpoint. The grain is very sparkly and poorly compressed in the night sequences, and there's almost zero shadow detail. Things are very murky indeed, and such material is usually HD-DVD's long suit. Day sequences and brightly lit ones look very nice, and for once Murtaugh's suit isn't a mess of shimmer and moire. It's a step above the 1997 DVD but not a very big one.

I don't have any firm information as to whether it's a 1997 HD transfer, but considering the way it looks I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   MichaelPR

MichaelPR

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 03:39 AM

I will be picking this bad boy up!
Format Neutral

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2006 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
My opinion (full review at http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=8746 ) is that this is one of the worst HD-DVDs released yet from a video standpoint. The grain is very sparkly and poorly compressed in the night sequences, and there's almost zero shadow detail. Things are very murky indeed, and such material is usually HD-DVD's long suit. Day sequences and brightly lit ones look very nice, and for once Murtaugh's suit isn't a mess of shimmer and moire. It's a step above the 1997 DVD but not a very big one.

I don't have any firm information as to whether it's a 1997 HD transfer, but considering the way it looks I wouldn't be in the least surprised.
It sounds like there is a definite difference in opinion especially if you're saying this release is not much better than the 1997 dvd release. I might have to get this disc, even though I prefer the DC of the film.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 04:46 AM

I will be getting this one, for sure.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I thought Warner pulled those from future releases like this week's release of Lethal Weapon?

Crawdaddy

Robert, as far as I understand, there has been no statement from Warner (or any studio) about not using these kind of masters. I do know, however, the issue has been brought to their attention.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2006 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Robert, as far as I understand, there has been no statement from Warner (or any studio) about not using these kind of masters. I do know, however, the issue has been brought to their attention.
Well, you usually wouldn't get such a statement anyway, these type of issues are handled internally by the studios most of the time. You would probably be surprised how similar PQ stuff was resolved without any of us knowing about them.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 05:49 AM

Here's another viewpoint on this transfer from Peter M. Bracke at the "High-Def Digest" site:

http://hddvd.highdef...thalweapon.html

He seems to think it's "not a home run", but *is* a "good-looking presentation of a film almost two decades old." In particular, he stated that
"Blacks are rock solid, and contrast quite good. The image does pop quite often, especially some of the night scenes, which can look nearly three-dimensional. Sharpness is also not too shabby, though a bit soft most of the time. I was almost impressed with the lack of any pixelization -- for a transfer minted from a print that's somewhat inconsistent, I noticed no blocking or other motion artifacts, even on the grainiest scenes or those with a lot of fast action. "
Joseph
---------------

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Hopefully my preorder will be early enough at Amazon to get it soon. I'm still waiting on Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

I finally gave up on Amazon and last week's WB titles. If they have Lethal Weapon at BB tomorrow, I'm just gonna pick it up there. If you pre-order Lethal Weapon today, the estimated ship date doesn't even stick the street date as it usually does with pre-orders. It puts it out in July (like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Syriana). Since they still have yet to ship last week's titles, I'd be surprised if this week's makes it out anytime soon.. But, I'm just theorizing. They weren't doing too bad up 'til last week.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2006 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF
I finally gave up on Amazon and last week's WB titles. If they have Lethal Weapon at BB tomorrow, I'm just gonna pick it up there. If you pre-order Lethal Weapon today, the estimated ship date doesn't even stick the street date as it usually does with pre-orders. It puts it out in July (like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Syriana). Since they still have yet to ship last week's titles, I'd be surprised if this week's makes it out anytime soon.. But, I'm just theorizing. They weren't doing too bad up 'til last week.
I can wait if the difference in price is too much. I can buy Lethal Weapon from amazon for 17.99 with free 2 day shipping, what's the price BB is charging?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I can wait if the difference in price is too much. I can buy Lethal Weapon from amazon for 17.99 with free 2 day shipping, what's the price BB is charging?

Crawdaddy

It will end up being $24.99 plus tax at BB.

Buy.com seems to be doing better (based on last week) than Amazon. I have heard reports of last week's titles shipping from there. Prices are comparable and they have a $5 off $50 promo that automatically gets applied to the cart... at least, it did when I checked it out this morning. Free shipping would probably result in about the same wait, though.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 26 2006 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF
It will end up being $24.99 plus tax at BB.

Buy.com seems to be doing better (based on last week) than Amazon. I have heard reports of last week's titles shipping from there. Prices are comparable and they have a $5 off $50 promo that automatically gets applied to the cart... at least, it did when I checked it out this morning. Free shipping would probably result in about the same wait, though.
Amazon still offers the best deal so far for me. I might not have Lethal Weapon this week, but I can buy it from Amazon for $8.50 cheaper than BB.

As for Buy.com, I haven't try them since the early days of dvd.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,600 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 09:41 AM

My views on Lethal Weapon in HD, are not based upon the film looking like an HD demo disc, but rather, looking very much as the film did in 35mm.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow