Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SDTV/EDTV - 480p capability but not a HDTV suggestions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 06 2001 - 02:01 PM

Right now I'm in a situation where true HD sources are questionable, at best. Satellite? My apartment in D.C. has no southern exposure, let alone a balcony. Antenna? I played around with analog signals, and while some come in, I don't know if I'm willing to risk dealing with interference issues. Cable? BWAHAHA... yes, it's a joke. At any rate, the best signal I can provide to a television right now is 480p from a DVD. My question is, are there any affordable SDTV/EDTV alternatives to a HDTV that can tide me over for some years until I can get high def? Aaron Thomas GOOD: Making sure your first post is polite. BAD: Asking how I can get by on mid-grade technology. UGLY (joke): Guess it will go well with my Sony DB receiver!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   CarlS

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted November 06 2001 - 02:15 PM

Samsung has a 1080i/480P 27" set for less than $1k. I haven't seen this set with DVD or a digital signal, but the analog image looked ok.
http://www.bestbuy.c....t=24&scat=1470

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted November 06 2001 - 02:45 PM

Aaron: 2 questions: * Smallest acceptable screen size? * Top $ you wanna spend? Rich B.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 06 2001 - 03:06 PM

I'm so sorry - THIS is what I meant. Do reasonably priced SDTVs (or EDTV's) EXIST? I know that I can get, for example, 43" of Toshiba HDTV at BB for $1800 or so - but since I won't be using 720p or 1080i for a couple of years, are there any sets that only have 480i/480p capability for less than the price of a HDTV of similar size? Aaron Thomas Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Taka

Taka

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 06 2001 - 04:28 PM

Well, If you don't mind not having a flat screen, the Hitachi UDX-10S has 480p/1080i capability. Looks awesome when playing anamorphic DVDs, comes in a 32 and 36" size. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that's what I purchased- $1199 before tax and delivery. Circuit City carries them, I got mine from a local A/V shop that I like better than the big chains. Taka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users