-

Photo
- - - - -

Lost season 3 discussion....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3037 replies to this topic

#1 of 3038 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,877 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 06:47 AM

Well, I have started the first two seasons discussions. So I figured I would start this off with a little humor and rememberence of our good friend Artz.

I had written to him about 6 months ago. And got the following picture back..

Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 3038 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 09:55 AM

maybe Artz taught Walt for while. he said he taught high school (?) but maybe that was only recently. anythings possible in the Lost universe Posted Image
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#3 of 3038 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 24 2006 - 12:28 PM

It may be about three months early for the S3 thread but it's worth it for that great pic.

My prediction for Season Three is that they explain everything on the island and all get rescued. Maybe not. Posted Image

#4 of 3038 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts

Posted July 18 2006 - 01:50 PM

ABC said that Season Three starts on October 4. As rumored, they will run six episodes (until November 8) in the fall, a new show will fill its timeslot for thirteen weeks, and then Lost will return on February 14 with new episodes until the end of the season.

Also according to the link below, J.J. Abrams is actually going to write and direct some episodes this year.

http://www.tv.com/st....dlines;title;2

#5 of 3038 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 18 2006 - 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
Well, I have started the first two seasons discussions. So I figured I would start this off with a little humor and rememberence of our good friend Artz.

I had written to him about 6 months ago. And got the following picture back..

Posted Image

Cool pic. Where did you write to him?

I want to know how anyone is going to be able to hear after that Loud humming sound on the finale.

#6 of 3038 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,795 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 12:13 AM

Any word on the new cast members for the third season? I recall reading that the producers were looking for two new female lead characters. Has filiming started yet? I imagine it would have.

#7 of 3038 RodC

RodC

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 12:39 AM

Be warned, as implied by the URL, potential spoilers:

http://www.spoilerfix.com/lost.php

#8 of 3038 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 01:05 AM

I just read that we will be getting 6 episodes in the fall, then we have to wait 13 weeks for the rest of the season to start.

Sux, but I guess it's better that all the reruns.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#9 of 3038 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,567 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
ABC said that Season Three starts on October 4. As rumored, they will run six episodes (until November 8) in the fall, a new show will fill its timeslot for thirteen weeks, and then Lost will return on February 14 with new episodes until the end of the season.

Personally, I think that is a pretty lousy way to break it up. Really lame.

Run it in one block. Run it in two or three relatively equal blocks. But breaking it up so disproportionately is a bad call.

Six episodes go by very quickly. So after the long summer hiatus of about 4 months, viewers get six episodes, just start getting back into the show, and then another 3 MONTH hiatus!?!? Excuse me? They think this is a good idea? Why the hell not just wait until January then and play the whole thing uninterrupted?!?!

This is really lame. It would be MUCH better to just wait until January and play the whole thing as one block. That would work best for this show. The way they are breaking it up seems, well, retarded.

If they want to break it into blocks, I'd prefer three blocks. Start the season a little later, like late October then run it until right before Christmas (getting in two full months/8 episodes of show). Then go off for January and come back in February for another two full months/8 eps. Then off for two weeks in April, and back mid April through May for the final six. So, once the show starts in late October, we only have about seven weeks of no show or reruns (one week in December, all of January, and two weeks in April). Or some other simialr break down. But you get the idea. Three significant blocks with two relatively short hiatuses inbetween them.

Based on what they have apparently decided to do instead, I may actually just record these "straggler six episodes" and start watching them in January before the rest of the show starts.

Phooey!
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#10 of 3038 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan
Personally, I think that is a pretty lousy way to break it up. Really lame.

Run it in one block. Run it in two or three relatively equal blocks. But breaking it up so disproportionately is a bad call.

Six episodes go by very quickly. So after the long summer hiatus of about 4 months, viewers get six episodes, just start getting back into the show, and then another 3 MONTH hiatus!?!? Excuse me? They think this is a good idea? Why the hell not just wait until January then and play the whole thing uninterrupted?!?!
Because ABC is a business and they want the boost for the November sweeps. I'd much rather get six episodes in the fall than nothing. And since they know their schedule, they'll be able to make sure that the 'cliffhanger' of episode 6 will be sweet.

#11 of 3038 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 04:33 AM

I am with Sean on this. One block, or at least proportionate blocks. As it is, it's like foreplay today, intercourse tomorrow, and blue balls in between...

--
H

#12 of 3038 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,567 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
Because ABC is a business and they want the boost for the November sweeps. I'd much rather get six episodes in the fall than nothing. And since they know their schedule, they'll be able to make sure that the 'cliffhanger' of episode 6 will be sweet.

Yes, and the three block suggestion of mine gives them new episodes through ALL of November, February, and May. Their schedule doesn't even give them all of February (starting back Feb 14) or all of November (stopping on the 8th).

If I've waited 4 months through the summer, I'm already out of the need to see the show each week. As much as I love the show, going four months without watching it puts in on the back burner for "needing" the story to continue. At that point, I can wait another 3 months. (This is assuming I haven't watched season 2 on DVD in September). But once it's back I'd prefer it to be back. The way they are doing it, they'll get me back to wanting/needing to follow the story again and then kick me in the nuts with another 3 month hiatus.

I'll see how I feel this Fall, but I'm so tempted to record these six and watch them with the rest of the show. But I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

Plenty of people here at HTF kinda of did that with season 2 already (recording and watching in blocks). I don't know if I have the will power, but I'll have to see.

Maybe I'll wait until Thanksgiving to get season 2 on DVD. Then I can watch it through Nov and Dec, and in January I can watch the first six of Season 3. Then it will be "live" new show all through May.

#13 of 3038 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,482 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
I am with Sean on this. One block, or at least proportionate blocks. As it is, it's like foreplay today, intercourse tomorrow, and blue balls in between...

--
H

Story of my life!Posted Image
Oh. Wait a minute.Posted Image
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#14 of 3038 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan
Yes, and the three block suggestion of mine gives them new episodes through ALL of November, February, and May. Their schedule doesn't even give them all of February (starting back Feb 14) or all of November (stopping on the 8th).
They're putting the other show's (whatever it's called Posted Image) premiere and season finale in those sweeps weeks though.

#15 of 3038 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 12:28 PM

pretty good interview with the exec producer:
http://community.tvg....umID=700000049
(minor spoilers)
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#16 of 3038 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW
pretty good interview with the exec producer:
http://community.tvg....umID=700000049
(minor spoilers)
The permalink to that article is here.

Given the disappointment expressed here about the six-episode starting stretch, his comment is quite interesting:
Quote:
What can you tell me about the show's first six episodes?
Carlton Cuse:
Damon and I are designing the show as a sort of miniseason. We almost view the first six as a miniseries. And it's going to answer what we left hanging at the end of the finale. Obviously, we're going to explain what happened to Locke and Desmond and Eko, and sort of deal with the fact that Sawyer and Kate and Jack are in captivity. We really love the idea of having this little six-episode [arc], and we have a whole story design with a conclusion and a cliff-hanger that will hopefully keep the audience curious and hanging and excited about coming back in January for the longer run of episodes.

Would you have liked to have gotten more than six episodes up front?
Cuse:
The problem, ultimately, is that we physically cannot produce more than 22, 23 or 24 hours. We did 24 hours of the show last year, and it nearly killed us. We were simultaneously producing episodes 22, 23 and 24 at the end of the season with three different crews. It's such a hard show to make, and yet there are 35 weeks in the prime-time season. We wish we could make 35 episodes of Lost; we just can't. There are always going to be compromises in scheduling the show. And [ABC president] Steve McPherson decided, I think very smartly, that it would be way too long to wait until January to have the show back on again. That was the other choice: to come back on in January and run straight through to May. But I think it's better and more satisfying for the fans to have a pod in the fall. To not have to wait from May until January for the show to be back on. But we like it. We see those six episodes as a little miniseries, and it's going to be intense and hyped and high-octane.

Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#17 of 3038 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,567 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 01:50 AM

Yeah, if these first six are designed to follow a six-part arc, more or less, then it is much more acceptable.

Still, getting back into the "LOST spirit" and then having to go without for another three months doesn't sit very well. But after hearing this, I'm probably more likely to cave and watch them when aired.

#18 of 3038 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 01:55 AM

Is the second run going to be uninterrupted?

--
H

#19 of 3038 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 02:12 AM

Yep. They'll have 16 episodes to run in 15 weeks.

#20 of 3038 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 03:16 AM

That's better. Although for my own selfish purposes, I do wish they would return in January, that, along with 24, would make that most horrid of months a bit more bearable.

--
H

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow