-

Photo
- - - - -

Tales From the Darkside

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#21 of 142 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 03:10 PM

Wasn't there some sort of cross-ownership issue between Paramount, Tribune, and Freemantle keeping this in red tape?

#22 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 23 2007 - 11:23 PM

Well, any positive words on this classic show getting a release? Oh, I consider it a classic as well. Haven't seen it since I was a kid but it was one of those shows I'd channel surf to and be glad I was up late at night to catch it (and hopefully the scary as hell opening credit sequence Posted Image ).

I'd buy the whole show as soon as I had the money to do so if it could just get a release. I've bought a few things that resemble it, but that's not the same.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#23 of 142 Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 11:39 AM

This was a favorite of mine growing up. Caught a few episodes on Scifi yesterday. Missed most of them, didnt expect to ever see it on tv again lol
Would love to get em on DVD someday.

#24 of 142 Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 01:35 PM

Add me to those who'd like to see it on DVD. Actually, I'm shocked that it isn't. Most sci-fi shows have already received the DVD treatment.

#25 of 142 Daniel-C

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 04:03 AM

For those who have DirecTV, Tales from the Darkside can be seen on Chiller.

I wrote a letter to Paramount asking them to bring the series to DVD.

#26 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:02 AM

Good job Daniel. I hope your efforts are rewarded.

I really believe this would be a huge seller. Twilight Zone seems to be doing huge biz (I'm about to pick up that definitive set myself) and TftD is one of the best of the ones that followed it in its genre. I don't have a dish TV service, but there's a few complete episodes on youtube. I believe the show holds up well. Certainly it's below TZ (what isn't?) but it's still a worthly addition to any TZ fan's DVD collection. There's one about a Christmas monster starring E.G. Marshall. Man, that's a trip! I'm sure I saw it years ago and I know I had trouble sleeping that night.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#27 of 142 JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 06:26 AM

I was always a fan of this as well, and I'm definitely enjoying getting to see them again on Sci-Fi and Chiller, along with Monsters, which also pops up from time to time on Chiller. I would definitely buy both of these in a heartbeat. I agree with a poster above - I enjoy my Tales From The Crypt dvd's, but Darkside and Monsters usually had better storylines and an overall creepier atmosphere. Tales From The Crypt had a bigger budget. All great shows, though.

#28 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 12:46 AM

One side note, Tales from the Darkside The Movie with Blonde (Deborah Harry) isn't too good. The first story about the mummy is okay, but the rest suck. The one about the cat is totally nuts. Watch it with someone squeamish for a more entertaining experience than just the movie alone. I really disliked the final story with Rae Dawn Chong, an almost complete waste of time. Even Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders (wonderfully featured on MST3K) is better.

#29 of 142 JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, I would have to completely agree with Radioman (I usually do agree with fellow Pythoniacs). I so much wanted to like the movie cause I was such a big fan of the show when I was a kid. I tried so hard, but, like Radioman said, the mummy section was okay at best, and it went downhill from there. Just a completely different tone from the show.

On another note, one thing I always remember loving about the show (and has been cut out of Sci-Fi reruns, but re-included in the Chiller reruns) is the voiceover at the beginning and end, and the music that went with it. Maybe it's cause I was a kid, but that always kinda creeped me out. Come on, let's get this out on dvd!

#30 of 142 Daniel-C

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJason
Yeah, I would have to completely agree with Radioman (I usually do agree with fellow Pythoniacs). I so much wanted to like the movie cause I was such a big fan of the show when I was a kid. I tried so hard, but, like Radioman said, the mummy section was okay at best, and it went downhill from there. Just a completely different tone from the show.

On another note, one thing I always remember loving about the show (and has been cut out of Sci-Fi reruns, but re-included in the Chiller reruns) is the voiceover at the beginning and end, and the music that went with it. Maybe it's cause I was a kid, but that always kinda creeped me out. Come on, let's get this out on dvd!

Tales is still on Sci-Fi channel, but mostly through daytime rotation. Their next block will be on Monday.

#31 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I would have to completely agree with Radioman (I usually do agree with fellow Pythoniacs).
Agree with me? Look, I came in here and paid the £5 for an argument!! Posted Image

Quote:
You're not kidding! The opening credits with voiceover starts the scares even before the actual story begins. It should be there and intact.

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE OPENING CREDITS

#32 of 142 JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Agree with me? Look, I came in here and paid the £5 for an argument!! Posted Image

No you didn't.

#33 of 142 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
You're not kidding! The opening credits with voiceover starts the scares even before the actual story begins. It should be there and intact.

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE OPENING CREDITS
Only George Romero could make Lancaster County look so scary and alien. =)

#34 of 142 John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:05 PM

I recently started watching this show on Sci-Fi Channel. I have to agree with some previous posters; most episodes are either excellent or terrible. That said, I usually become engulfed in the marathons when they air, and was surprised when I found out the show wasn't on DVD. I'd buy it...

#35 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Only George Romero could make Lancaster County look so scary and alien. =)
Oh, is that where they filmed that? Im a sucker for quiet tranquil out-in-the-country places like that but youre right...it's very scary on there. The sudden, sort of negative, image they do...plus the voiceover really makes that creepy.

#36 of 142 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Oh, is that where they filmed that? Im a sucker for quiet tranquil out-in-the-country places like that but youre right...it's very scary on there. The sudden, sort of negative, image they do...plus the voiceover really makes that creepy.
It was even worse in the first two seasons when they had that logo that looked like it had been bloodletted or something.

#37 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
It was even worse in the first two seasons when they had that logo that looked like it had been bloodletted or something.
As if it needed that too. Posted Image

I watched one about a Christmas monster on youtube. I found it eery as an adult, but as a kid that probably scared the crap out of me.

#38 of 142 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,927 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted February 14 2008 - 09:24 AM

One of my personal favourites: A Case of the Stubborns, about a corpse who refuses to believe that he's dead. Played for laughs, and also features a pre-STNG Brent Spiner.

#39 of 142 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,723 posts

Posted February 15 2008 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney
One of my personal favourites: A Case of the Stubborns, about a corpse who refuses to believe that he's dead. Played for laughs, and also features a pre-STNG Brent Spiner.
I need to see that one! Sounds fantastic!

(spoiler alert) You reminded me of an episode that has this crazy inventor who comes up with this casket that captures the inventor's enemy, carries him out to the grave yard and buries him all automatically! I can't remember what show that was. Might be Tales of the Unexpected or Bradbry Theater. Not sure...but it's great fun.

#40 of 142 Daniel-C

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

Christian Slater was also in that episode. A few years later he would appear in Tales from the Darkside: The Movie.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow