Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Toslink jack repair

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Wiens

Tim Wiens

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 10:58 AM

Recently purchased a Sony receiver on ebay that has 3 Toslink inputs. The unit is checking out perfectly (thank goodness!) except that the "door" on one of the Toslink jacks is missing. The jack still works, but the cable is not tight in the jack and falls out pretty easily because of the missing door. Has anyone made this repair? What is involved? Can a new door simply be snapped in? That kind of looks like the case, but I'm not sure. Where would I get another one? In addition to the 3 Toslink inputs, there is also a Toslink output which I don't need. Would it be possible to remove the door from the input jack and use it to replace the missing one?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 961 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 01:47 PM

You might be able to swap lids but it is more likely to break. You can't swap the jacks themselves since the emitter or receiver is part of the jack assembly.

The jack is probably available as a repair part if you just wanted to replace it.
With a model number I could look up the part number and check price and availability.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Wiens

Tim Wiens

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 01:50 PM

The model number of the receiver? It's a Sony STR-DE685.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 961 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 03:22 PM

By pure chance, I have a copy of the service manual at home. The part number is 6-600-014-01 and retails for slightly over $10. Almost any legitimate service company should be able to order one if you can't find one at an online parts supplier.

The advantage of buying from a local servicer (if he will sell "Over the Counter") is that you won't have to worry about minimum orders and shipping costs can be shared with other parts that he might need.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Wiens

Tim Wiens

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 03:28 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much for looking that up for me.

Now the next question... How difficult will this be to replace for someone who is fairly handy and mechanically inclined? Will it just be a matter of unplugging the old jack and plugging in the new? Do they solder in?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 961 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 06:58 AM

They are soldered in (to the digital board) but are a relatively large component. Solder wick or good technique might suffice, but it's difficult to judge someone's ability long distance.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 12:51 PM

so your problem is that the toslink jack door/gate that helps to keep the cable in place is missing? i would just cut a few strip of 3x5 index card to fit and shim them in place to tighten up the connection. not nearly as elegant as just replacing the jack, but probably much easier.

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 961 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 01:43 PM

You might want to try several cables, also. I have some that fit very loose even with good jacks, and some that fit securly. I'd agree with KevinT that replacing the jack would be overkill if there is an easy workaround.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   wassup

wassup

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 30 2012 - 04:40 AM

so simple....i had the same prob....if it is a jack that is not going to be removed frequently....stick it in there and secure it with a small spot of hot glue...hold great and peels right off if you need to remove it...been working for over a year fro me...