Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

For something different: Commercials you actually like!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#21 of 409 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 04:02 PM

Liked the ‘pass it on’ good deed commercial too.
The created for superbowl “Clydesdales” range.
Last yr. there was a car commercial? (Didn’t do them service on brand recognition Posted Image ) which had a musical ditty I was nuts for as the car parts flew in slow mo...hitting the ground...A few times I even turned on my surround sound just to hear the audio tune on that one.

I was hooked on the Internet only “evil twin” commercials, had not laughed so hard all year and dragged every one in I knew to show those promo’s to.. .. The pigeon getting the boot by the bonnet! (or was it the boot by the boot?!) ..the sunroof was over the top. Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#22 of 409 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran
I normally mute or turn off commercials, but I will say I do enjoy this one particular ad for an insurance company ( can't think of which)...

Guy bends down to pick up a stuffed animal that a young child sitting in a stroller drops. Next we see the women who was pushing the stroller move a coffee cup away from the edge of the table for some guy. Someone from the coffee shop notices and then does another random act of kindness in turn. This whole commercial is one continueous RAOK until at the end they show the guy from the original RAOK pushing his young child in a stroller and another passerby bends down to pick up a toy the child drops.

It's just a nice commercial.

Awwwwww. i don't think I've ever seen that commercial but that sounds so cute that I kind of wish I had! (Man I find the methodology of commercials fascinating. I guess I am a prime viewer? Posted Image)

My big, I guess, criteria for commercials is that they have to be innovative in some way - whether it's because it's a particularly memorable ad or because it makes me look at a product in a way I didn't before. That's a good commercial to me. (Like that LR3 commercial I linked before - that one is excellent because it's different - because normally you see 4x4 commercials involving a lot of shots of the car like rocking through snow and mud and stuff - and it makes the LR look extra cutting edge by playing up how advanced its technology is instead of how "rugged" it is or whatever.)

I saw one of those Citibank ads last night - the one where a tiny old woman sounds like a large black man. Seriously, those ads are *brilliant*.

#23 of 409 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:37 AM

From a few years back....Nissan Z car commercial featuring Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me"
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#24 of 409 OFFLINE   Janna S

Janna S

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:43 AM

I love the AFLAC commercials, the GEICO caveman commercials, and the puppy at camp who is singing the "Hello Muddah"' song.

And I have always hoped to see a commercial a friend told me about. I think it was for a BBQ grill. It showed a grill with a hamburger or some kind of meat cooking on it, while a voice described its features . . . and in the corner of the picture a dark blob starts to appear, growing slowly larger and taking up more of the screen, until eventually you can see it's a dog's nose getting closer and closer to the food on the grill.

#25 of 409 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_B
I saw one of those Citibank ads last night - the one where a tiny old woman sounds like a large black man. Seriously, those ads are *brilliant*.
Thelma & Norma is my favorite (old ladies with redneck voices talking about motorcycles ). Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#26 of 409 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:52 AM

OK, I know this is highly unlikely, but it's definitely funny:

Oh, and don't forget the ever popular "Smart Beep" Posted Image

#27 of 409 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted June 28 2006 - 10:35 AM

Terry Tate - Office Linebacker (Reebok IIRC)

#28 of 409 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 12:39 PM

I like the Orbitz lady. Posted Image

#29 of 409 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 04:24 AM

I actually like the current Geico commercials. Don't know who's doing the voice, but I just find it really pleasant to listen to.

There have been so many Australian/British "hosts" doing those crappy infommercials the past few years, and their accents are very annoying. I don't know what the point is, maybe Mr. & Mrs. Joe Six Pack think the accent lends some sort of credibility to whatever is being sold.

Not that Geico is successful at selling me anything. I checked a few months ago and they wanted more than double what I'm paying for full coverage from Farmers Insurance, but their commercials are actually kind of enjoyable.
Stan

#30 of 409 OFFLINE   James Pfann

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 07:47 AM

One of my current favorites is the Miller lite Man rules spots.

"You poke it, you own it."

#31 of 409 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,228 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 30 2006 - 09:32 AM

There hasn't been a good commercial on TV since THIS ONE! Posted Image

Watch for cameos by John Amos and (I think) David Huddleston. A Manilow jingle. It's magic!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#32 of 409 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 30 2006 - 08:22 PM

Quote:
It's magic!

Come, come, come into my arms
Let me know the wonder of all of you
Could it be magic?

I guess right after viewing that ad would be a really bad time to admit a certain affinity for the Bar.

#33 of 409 OFFLINE   Marc L

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 02:55 AM

Have any of you seen this amazing Honda commercial? What you see is all real, after 606 attempts and 6 million dollors, they finally got it in one take.

The Messin' with Sasquatch commercials are hillarious!

http://www.messinwithsasquatch.com/

click on the video camera.

#34 of 409 OFFLINE   Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R
Terry Tate - Office Linebacker (Reebok IIRC)

Definitely Terry Tate! I also thought this one was cool...

http://www.theembass...om/citroen.html

#35 of 409 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 12:50 PM

I happen to like those animated Esurance commercials. That Erin Esurance is pretty hot (for a toon). Posted Image

http://www.esurance..../ErinsWorld.asp

#36 of 409 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,336 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 03 2006 - 04:18 PM

I miss the Nissan ads from the mid-90s: Dog's Love Trucks!

And the 80s Joe Isuzu ads (He's lying).

I feel we're in an ad lull right now; no classics running nor anything to really excite me.

#37 of 409 OFFLINE   Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 260 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted July 05 2006 - 04:45 AM

The new VW rabbit commercial is clever.

#38 of 409 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 05 2006 - 08:21 AM

I like the new DQ Blizzard commercial with the guy trying to stow his luggage in the overhead compartment while the guy in the next seat keeps eating his Blizzard. Luggage guy then proceeds to drop his suitcase on a woman's head...repeatedly...as he tries to stop the other guy from eating his ice cream. Posted Image

#39 of 409 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 05 2006 - 08:34 AM

LOL - Yeah, that DQ commercial is great. The look on the guys face (eating the ice cream) is what makes it so funny. Posted Image

Here's something funny - a bit low quality, but still worth watching:
http://www.comicalhost.com/Test.php

#40 of 409 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 05 2006 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
LOL - Yeah, that DQ commercial is great. The look on the guy's face (eating the ice cream) is what makes it so funny. Posted Image
Yeah, he's not just taking a taste, he's trying to scarf down the whole thing in a few seconds (I can't believe he doesn't get a brain freeze). Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow