-

Photo
- - - - -

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 of 115 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 03:51 PM

My favorite character from DA Ali G Show. Trailer is now online.
View Trailer

www.boratmovie.com

This is just going to be.....hilariously.....weird. Posted Image

#2 of 115 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 12:20 AM

I love the show, and I hope they are working on more episodes.

The trailer looked good, but the real reason why this stuff is funny is because Mr. Cohen talks to real people without scripting.

(Ali G line here) The real question is what happens now that we have found BLT's in Iraq Posted Image

#3 of 115 MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 10:38 AM

The new trailer

http://mp3content01.....eamID=27349728

It's being released as counter-programming this November (pretty bold move). It's directed by Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm's Larry Charles. The buzz is it's a Spinal Tap level comedy classic. Considering I've laughed harder during the Borat sequences of the 'Ali G show' - than anything in the last 10 years - I believe it.

#4 of 115 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,111 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 06 2006 - 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that half the audience I was with for "Ricky Bobby" nearly pissed themselves when the trailer came on today — myself included.

#5 of 115 MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 06:30 PM

Full screen

http://mp3content02.....eamID=27349734

Posted Image

Peter Sellers on acid......

That's how I'd describe the comedy of Sacha Baron Cohen. Posted Image

David Poland has seen the film and mentioned this:

Quote:
Borat. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a movie that could have been a true cultural phenomenon playing outside of the summer. Such is the fate of Borat, which will be a big success in the fall, but could have been this summer's Wedding Crashers. Sasha Baron Cohen will get his first wide exposure to American comedy fans in Talladega Nights this weekend, but Borat… a whole different animal. It's There's Something About Mary… but funnier… and darker. If the film does $90 million in November, everyone will be happy. But it could have threatened $150 million in the summer, maybe more.

#6 of 115 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:43 AM

I'll be seeing this in 3-4 weeks time at the Toronto Film Festival's Midnight Madness screening with Cohen present.

He's been threatening to make some sort of grand entrance at the premiere...possibly wearing that lovely green bikini...or maybe something involving live donkeys Posted Image

#7 of 115 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 02:17 AM

The new trailer is fantastic, I'm very happy the film isn't all scripted (hopefully only the beginning is).

I also hope they are working on more episodes, Ali-G and Bruno are great.

#8 of 115 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
I'll be seeing this in 3-4 weeks time at the Toronto Film Festival's Midnight Madness screening with Cohen present.

i just checked the festival site, and the movie wasn't listed?
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#9 of 115 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 08:02 AM

The complete film list isn't posted until Aug 22nd.

The Borat premiere was announced in an earlier press release which can be found here

#10 of 115 MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 08:10 PM

TIME's Richard Corliss loves it.

http://www.time.com/....534437,00.html

Quote:
"I doubt that Baron Cohen's performance will be cited on Oscar Night. But that wouldn't be a bad idea. Among this year's films I can't think of a ballsier or, within the boundaries it sets for itself, richer characterization."

Wow.

#11 of 115 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,477 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted September 14 2006 - 02:15 PM

Interesting.

http://www.dailymail....n_page_id=1770
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 115 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 02:46 PM

I finally watched the actual trailer for Borat today. It looks awesome. I am absolutely going to go see it. When is the release date does anybody know?

#13 of 115 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 05:01 AM

Nov. 3.

I've been a huge fan of the Borat character ever since seeing bootleg tapes of the U.K. Ali G show years ago (which was superior to the HBO show, I'm afraid. Borat works even better in England).

Looking forward to the movie.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#14 of 115 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,762 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 25 2006 - 04:42 AM

I caught a second trailer for this yesterday before Jackass 2. Nov 3 can't come fast enough!

#15 of 115 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 02:34 PM

http://news.yahoo.co..../life_borat_dc

White House turns away Borat when he tried to give an invitation to W. for a screening of his new film, also invited was Mel Gibson and OJ Simpson.

God I can't wait for this to come out.

#16 of 115 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D
http://news.yahoo.co..../life_borat_dc

White House turns away Borat when he tried to give an invitation to W. for a screening of his new film, also invited was Mel Gibson and OJ Simpson.

God I can't wait for this to come out.
No, Mel Gibsons was invited. Posted Image

#17 of 115 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 03:12 PM

His statement in full:
"Jagshemash, my name Borat Sagdiyev. I would like to comment on recent advertisments on television and in media about my nation of Kazakhstan, saying that women are treated equally, and that all religions are tolerated — these are disgusting fabrications. These claims are part of a propoganda campaign against our country by evil nitwits Uzbekistan — who as we all know are a very nosey people, with a bone in the middle of their brain.

"There is a man name Roman Vasilenko who is claiming to be Press Secretary of Kazakhstan. Please do not listen this man, he is Uzbek imposter, and is currently being hunted by our agents. I must further say on behalf of my government, that if Uzbekistan do not desist from funding these attacks, then we will not rule out the possibility of military intervention. ...

"Furthermore, all claims that our glorious leader is displeased with my film, 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazahkstan' is lie. Infacts main purpose of Premier Nazharbayev's visit to Washingtons is to promote this moviefilm. This why together with Ministry of Information he will be hosting a screening tomorrow evening, to which he have invitate Premier George Walter Bush and other American dignitaries — Donald Rumsfeld, Bill Gates, O.J. Simpson and Mel Gibsons. This screening will be followed by cocktail party and a discussion of closer ties between our countries at Hooters, on 825 7th Street.

"Thank you, I must now return to Embassy where my government need me.

"Chenquieh"

#18 of 115 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 03:47 PM

He must be eating up all of the free publicity caused by Kazakhstan. Posted Image

#19 of 115 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 07:59 AM

Have you guys been seeing this like commercial that Kazakstahn is apaprently running in America to try and like, help their image and tell Americans that they are, like, a good and stable strategic partner of ours or something? It was extremely funny in that unintentionally hilarious way. All these news stories are making me laugh my ass off.

And if possible I am not even MORE excited for Borat.

#20 of 115 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 06 2006 - 01:07 AM

I've seen all of 5 minutes of Ali G, but I came into possession of tickets to a free screening of Borat last night. Based on the wildly positive reviews, I went.

And it's a very funny movie. It's not the greatest comedy in a decade, but it's outrageous, insulting, demeaning, and hysterical all at once. The central conceit is simply, how far do you take the joke (culture clashing)?

The answer...pretty damn far.

It's very rare that you can guarantee someone significant laughs at a film. But I guarantee it at Borat.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

Forum Nav Content I Follow