What's new

The latest news from the Warner DVD Decision 2006 front... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I've been visiting Amazon's DVD Decision 2006 page every so often to read the latest profiles and check the standings.

The latest info is here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...411204-3431269

I bring it up because on that page, there's a 2-part interview with your friend and mine, George "The Man" Feltenstein. The first part is a audio interviews and the second is a text interview. There are some great veiled jabs at Universal and Sony in the audio portion, and good news about a variety of Warner titles from Judy Garland movies to "Crossing Delancey".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And all signs point to a DVD release of (believe it or not) "Gymkata".

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Really great to hear about David Copperfiedl and Tale of Two Cities coming this fall.
I'm also happy to finally read something concrete about the Garland/Rooney set.
But the best news are the plans for some Ginger Roger's flicks from her RKO year, specially the tiles mentioned: Vivacious Lady, Bachelor Mother and Once Upon a Honeymoon.
Mr. Feltenstein really knows how to please us classic movie fans. He's beyond compare.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I hope if LOOKER makes it, Warner goes into the vaults and includes the footage from the TV version -- one scene of which reportedly EXPLAINED the movie's bizarre plot!

Otherwise, GYMKATA...is a reality! lol

Corey

Screenwriter
glad to see lily mars and madame curie are front runners. disappointed that thoroughbreds don't cry and words & music won't be in the garland/rooney set. on the contrary, glad to hear that the clock is finally coming out next year.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Gymkata??? Are you kidding? There are much better pictures that need some mention. My special wish is for Francis Ford Coppola's You're A Big Boy Now, one of the best coming-of-age comedies I've ever seen, a 1960s precursor to Risky Business. And what a cast: Peter Kastner as young Bernard Chanticleer with real-life couple Geraldine Page and Rip Torn as his parents, Julie Harris as his neurotic landlady, Tony Bill as the 'too cool' co-worker, Karen Black (in her debut!) as a former schoolmate who has a crush on Bernard, and the unforgettable Elizabeth Hartman as the aloof go-go dancing object of Bernard's affection. Oh, and let's not forget the music soundtrack by The Lovin' Spoonful featuring "Darling Be Home Soon". Simply delicious, and a cult classic well worth a DVD release, so vote for it, PLEASE!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks OP! I'm glad to see Astaire/Rogers 2 will be released this year - I was beginning to wonder. And more Astaire in '07...bring it on, WHV. I can't wait!

Regarding the vote, though, while I'm glad these films are being considered, none of them really stuck out as must-haves for me either. I wonder when or if TCM's voting is going to be taken into consideration...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
And all signs point to a DVD release of (believe it or not) "Gymkata".

Wow! Who would of thought. I'll probably get this if it comes out just to taunt a friend of mine who studies martial arts. I've been threatening to learn the deadly art of "gymkata" so as to kick his ass since I met him 10 years ago.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Another plus is the terrific location shooting on the streets of NYC in the mid-60s (which brings back many fond memories for me). Elizabeth Hartman's life story is a tragic one, and this role helped define her career (along with A Patch of Blue). So it definitely deserves some attention.

For more info about her: IMDb bio

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My only guess with the selection of these particular films in Decision 2006 is that all of the more desirable older films must already be in the pipeline tied into one special release or boxed set already.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Seymour- another thing about this film: Geraldine Page died only three days after Miss Hartman (who committed suicide on my 22nd birthday!).

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
I'm kinda ticked off... MADE IN HEAVEN is on the initial list, but NOT on the page where you can vote!!!! I e-mailed Amazon and hopefully they should fix it... how is that fair if people want to vote for that film?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
There's one on the list I'd dearly love to see releaased, the 1951 version of Angels in the Outfield. If you like classic baseball films, give this one some thought.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
And, she was the youngest nominee ever for a Best Actress Oscar in 1966, when she was nominated for A Patch of Blue -- at the age of 22. Hmm....

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Is it wrong for me to be kind of excited that Gymkata is one of the leaders? Granted, a campy film like Gymkata did not belong among the films it was competing against. There should be a special label for the likes of Gymkata: Warner Cult "Classics", maybe.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Warners must be listening to the HTF membership again. :) Bachelor Mother is being mentioned for possible release. The last chat didn't offer too much hope for this title.

Steve

PS - thanks to John K for making us aware of the article.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Unfortunatley none that I voted for are currently in the top five, hopefully the ones I voted for are currently 6 - 10. :)

Corey

Screenwriter

only one for me is madame curie. hopefully best foot forward is 6-10. george feltenstein wants that too

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks