Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The latest news from the Warner DVD Decision 2006 front...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:30 PM

I've been visiting Amazon's DVD Decision 2006 page every so often to read the latest profiles and check the standings.

The latest info is here: http://www.amazon.co....411204-3431269

I bring it up because on that page, there's a 2-part interview with your friend and mine, George "The Man" Feltenstein. The first part is a audio interviews and the second is a text interview. There are some great veiled jabs at Universal and Sony in the audio portion, and good news about a variety of Warner titles from Judy Garland movies to "Crossing Delancey".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And all signs point to a DVD release of (believe it or not) "Gymkata".
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:42 PM

Really great to hear about David Copperfiedl and Tale of Two Cities coming this fall.
I'm also happy to finally read something concrete about the Garland/Rooney set.
But the best news are the plans for some Ginger Roger's flicks from her RKO year, specially the tiles mentioned: Vivacious Lady, Bachelor Mother and Once Upon a Honeymoon.
Mr. Feltenstein really knows how to please us classic movie fans. He's beyond compare.

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:47 PM

I hope if LOOKER makes it, Warner goes into the vaults and includes the footage from the TV version -- one scene of which reportedly EXPLAINED the movie's bizarre plot!

Otherwise, GYMKATA...is a reality! lol

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 02:18 PM

glad to see lily mars and madame curie are front runners. disappointed that thoroughbreds don't cry and words & music won't be in the garland/rooney set. on the contrary, glad to hear that the clock is finally coming out next year.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 01:55 AM

Gymkata??? Are you kidding? There are much better pictures that need some mention. My special wish is for Francis Ford Coppola's You're A Big Boy Now, one of the best coming-of-age comedies I've ever seen, a 1960s precursor to Risky Business. And what a cast: Peter Kastner as young Bernard Chanticleer with real-life couple Geraldine Page and Rip Torn as his parents, Julie Harris as his neurotic landlady, Tony Bill as the 'too cool' co-worker, Karen Black (in her debut!) as a former schoolmate who has a crush on Bernard, and the unforgettable Elizabeth Hartman as the aloof go-go dancing object of Bernard's affection. Oh, and let's not forget the music soundtrack by The Lovin' Spoonful featuring "Darling Be Home Soon". Simply delicious, and a cult classic well worth a DVD release, so vote for it, PLEASE!!!!!

http://www.amazon.co....s=dvd&v=glance
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 03:14 AM

Oh, really? Have you actually seen any of these films?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Sammy-G

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 04:53 AM

Thanks OP! I'm glad to see Astaire/Rogers 2 will be released this year - I was beginning to wonder. And more Astaire in '07...bring it on, WHV. I can't wait!

Regarding the vote, though, while I'm glad these films are being considered, none of them really stuck out as must-haves for me either. I wonder when or if TCM's voting is going to be taken into consideration...
Most-wanted R1s: The Patsy (1927); Personal Property (1937); Ever Since Eve (1937); Hold Back the Dawn (1941); Two-Faced Woman (1941); Kitty (1945); Yolanda and the Thief (1945); Black Magic (1949); Rapture (1965)

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 22 2006 - 05:11 AM

And all signs point to a DVD release of (believe it or not) "Gymkata".

Wow! Who would of thought. I'll probably get this if it comes out just to taunt a friend of mine who studies martial arts. I've been threatening to learn the deadly art of "gymkata" so as to kick his ass since I met him 10 years ago.

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
My special wish is for Francis Ford Coppola's You're A Big Boy Now, one of the best coming-of-age comedies I've ever seen, a 1960s precursor to Risky Business. And what a cast: Peter Kastner as young Bernard Chanticleer with real-life couple Geraldine Page and Rip Torn as his parents, Julie Harris as his neurotic landlady, Tony Bill as the 'too cool' co-worker, Karen Black (in her debut!) as a former schoolmate who has a crush on Bernard, and the unforgettable Elizabeth Hartman as the aloof go-go dancing object of Bernard's affection. Oh, and let's not forget the music soundtrack by The Lovin' Spoonful featuring "Darling Be Home Soon". Simply delicious, and a cult classic well worth a DVD release, so vote for it, PLEASE!!!!![/url]
Another plus is the terrific location shooting on the streets of NYC in the mid-60s (which brings back many fond memories for me). Elizabeth Hartman's life story is a tragic one, and this role helped define her career (along with A Patch of Blue). So it definitely deserves some attention.

For more info about her: IMDb bio

#10 of 47 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,585 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 22 2006 - 09:05 AM

My only guess with the selection of these particular films in Decision 2006 is that all of the more desirable older films must already be in the pipeline tied into one special release or boxed set already.

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 09:44 AM

Seymour- another thing about this film: Geraldine Page died only three days after Miss Hartman (who committed suicide on my 22nd birthday!).

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 22 2006 - 12:23 PM

I put my vote in for THE EDDIE CANTOR STORY.
Sadly it's not in that top list as yet. :-(

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'm kinda ticked off... MADE IN HEAVEN is on the initial list, but NOT on the page where you can vote!!!! I e-mailed Amazon and hopefully they should fix it... how is that fair if people want to vote for that film?
-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 01:39 PM

There's one on the list I'd dearly love to see releaased, the 1951 version of Angels in the Outfield. If you like classic baseball films, give this one some thought.
Brian

#15 of 47 OFFLINE   Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Seymour- another thing about this film: Geraldine Page died only three days after Miss Hartman (who committed suicide on my 22nd birthday!).
And, she was the youngest nominee ever for a Best Actress Oscar in 1966, when she was nominated for A Patch of Blue -- at the age of 22. Hmm....

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 04:06 AM

Is it wrong for me to be kind of excited that Gymkata is one of the leaders? Granted, a campy film like Gymkata did not belong among the films it was competing against. There should be a special label for the likes of Gymkata: Warner Cult "Classics", maybe.

#17 of 47 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 07:48 AM

Warners must be listening to the HTF membership again. Posted Image Bachelor Mother is being mentioned for possible release. The last chat didn't offer too much hope for this title.

Steve

PS - thanks to John K for making us aware of the article.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted June 24 2006 - 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Warners must be listening to the HTF membership again. Posted Image Bachelor Mother is being mentioned for possible release. The last chat didn't offer too much hope for this title.

Let's hope so! Somehow I'd never seen it till last time it turned up on TCM. A really delightful film that I'd grab on DVD in an eyeblink Posted Image

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 04:51 PM

Unfortunatley none that I voted for are currently in the top five, hopefully the ones I voted for are currently 6 - 10. Posted Image

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Unfortunatley none that I voted for are currently in the top five, hopefully the ones I voted for are currently 6 - 10. Posted Image

only one for me is madame curie. hopefully best foot forward is 6-10. george feltenstein wants that too
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow