What's new

Are SVS subs THAT good? (1 Viewer)

brentSkieb

Grip
Everything I read about SVS speakers is that everybody that has them loves them. Are they really that much better than most of the other subs out there?
I planned on spending about $600 on a new sub and, from everything I’ve read, the SVS PB12-NSD sounds great . However,I’ve never had a chance to compare them to any of the other speakers I’ve “tested” (and I’ve tested quite a few)so I really have nothing to go by other than their popularity and the praise I read from all those that have them.
Is it that easy a choice to make? Are they that good of a sub for my $600 price range that I should just go ahead and order one from their web-site?(I’ve called but unfortunately, I haven’t heard back from them. Maby too busy filling orders)
Are they really that much better than everything else out there for the money that they’re hands down, no question about it?
Thanks for any comments,suggestions.
Brentski

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They deserve every bit of their great reputation :) Easily better than anything you will find on the mass market.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's not difficult to find subjective, fervent, anonymous raves for just about any brand around...that's part's easy. Go by objective performance and you'll see what rises to the top. Hint: Yes.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
SVS makes great subs and provides great customer service. Should they be your only consideration? Probably not. Hsu certainly has a large fan base and they also make great subs. In your price range, however, I don't think there are any "brick-and-mortar" subs that can compete . . . internet-direct is the way to go in this price range.

When you get into a higher price range there are competitors, such as the Velodyne DD series, but SVS and Hsu are still very competitive.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how SVS does it, but they do.

I have a PB12-Ultra/2 where I've plotted it down to 11 Hz in my room. I had a Vandersteen V2W before that. A very good sub. I got to 21 Hz for that one. Before that, I had a Velodyne HGS-12. That could do to 20 Hz, but it couldn't play as loud as the Vandersteen. And the Vandersteen couldn't play anywhere close to as loud as the SVS. (There obviously are differences in cost and total driver area between all those though too.) But out of the 3 submakers that I've had personal experience with, and with cost in mind too, SVS offers a significantly better value. (Bang for the buck.)

Look around for Ed's reviews and measurements. SVS really does offer better performance for less money than most other companies. And they have top notch customer service too.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
so rr y a l l t h e b a s s f r om m y PB10-ISD m e ssi n g up m y t y p i n g

:D

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I've had the PCi 20-39 for a couple of months and yes, it's that good. I'm just astonished what it can do...for $600.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have the PB12-NSD/2, and let me say.

OH MY GOD!

The first time I put in the live version of Metallica's "One" from the Binge & Purge box set the explosives were incredible. And then Lars kicked in. It was all over. I was waiting for a structural collapse.

And Primus with Les Claypool on his 6-string bass!!!! You can not describe the intensity.

I have a 2.5 year old boy and a 35 week pregnant wife, so I don't get to really turn it up often. And its probably better that I don't.

When it was delivered I had to have a neighbor help me carry it in, unpack it, and get it out of the box. He looked at me and said "your kidding me, right?" I told him to prepare for a weekend of disturbance and to bear with me and not call the cops. He laughed and has been a good sport.

The house next to me is for sale and I am considering using it as a weapon if I don't like the looks of someone looking at the house.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
You get alot for your money and yes,HSU should be checked out also.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure they are that good. Don't discount other brands though. And don't get suckered into "extension above all else". Many who have listened and compared would trade losing a few Hz of extension for more output or tighter output where it is audible and counts.

I happen to be a happy owner of a HSU VTF-3 Mk2 ($700), which has variable tuning -- 25Hz or 20Hz - both +/-2dB flat, but 25Hz tune has 4dB more headroom. That being said, using the 25Hz tune and both ports open, I still get strong output to 19-20Hz. The 20Hz tune gets me to about 15-16Hz strong (-3dB or so), but with one port plugged in that mode, I get more air turbulence through the single port, and less bass since my room is rather large. I have opted for the 25Hz tune (which still gets me to 20Hz "flat" in-room). So basically it's like the STF-3, which is tuned to 25Hz (and is 300wRMS rather than 350wRMS for the VTF-3), which is $600. On the VTF-3 (and my Ascend 340SEs) music is tight and musical, from drums to bass guitars, and movies sound phenomenal.

I'm sure you'd be happy with an offering from either company, and could only tell a difference with side-by-side testing, if at all.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
SVS is the biggest no-brainer in this hobby, IMO. While I have a short list of speakers that I consider great performers and/or great values, I'd never suggest that someone just blindly purchase any of them. With SVS, though, I have absolutely no qualms about suggesting that whatsoever. SVS is a great American audio company!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One other thing I will mention, since Hsu has been mentioned. SVS assembles their subs in the good ole USA. Some of the components are from elsewhere, but final manufacturing is here. Hsu subs are made in China.

There are a lot of reasons why any one person chooses a particular component. Place of manufacture is one of my personal considerations.

This is exactly why I suggest looking up Ed Mullen's reviews. He looks at all 3: low freq extension, output, and distortion.

brentSkieb

Grip
OK,I got the message.They are THAT good. I went ahead and ordered the PB12-NSD without the slightest reservation.Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Now,everything I've read points to having the SPL meter to set it up properly(but do I really need the Avia disc or can I just use the receivers white noise sound to tune the sub. in properly?)

Thanks again for all the help,
Brentski

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Sweet,i cant wait to hear first comments after you set it up and use it. Yes to the disc,it will get your xover dialed in and yes to the meter,you'll use it more then you think.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brent,

Thank you very much for the order. Please don't hesitate to email me ( [email protected] ) if you have ANY setup or calibration questions once the PB12nsd arrives. We (Ron and myself) don't have a lot of free time to spend on the forums anymore...we still answer all techsupport emails within 24 hours(usually within an hour or two) seven days a week!

Thanks to all for the kind comments about SVS too...very much appreciated!

Tom V.
SVS

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

I feel the same way. That also factors in to my love for both Magnepan (Minnesota, USA) and DeVore Fidelity (Brooklyn, USA).

I just wish our damn soccer team could reach the same level of performance as my SVS :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks