Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Expensive Alarm Clocks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 03:59 AM

This month's Men's Health mag says it's better to wake up slowly to something soothing, rather than to spring up from a blaring alarm. Being the health lemming that I am, I started researching what else was out there. The options are actually pretty cool:

Now & Zen - Stylish hippy clocks that wake you up by playing a sinlge chime in slowly decreasing time intervals in a span of 10min

Hammacher Schlemmer - Probably the coolest (also the cheapest!). Uses light, aromas, nature sounds, and finally a buzzer at the end. All happens in 30min.

LED Clock - Wake up to LEDs

Soleil Sunrise - Mimmicks a sunrise.

Guess I'm looking for any suggestions or possible reviews in this matter. I'd hate to buy the Hammacher and find out it's a cheap piece. Thanks.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted June 21 2006 - 04:22 AM

I already have a soleil alarm clock, it's my bedroom window. When the sun comes up, it lights up my room. Posted Image

I'm a light sleeper who is 90% of the time awake long before my alarm goes off at 5:46am..

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 05:54 AM

I love my Sharper Image alarm clock, with CD player, gradual alarm (to radio or clock tower bell), thermometer, talking clock, sound soother, etc.

Although as cool as it is, there was another alarm clock thread where someone posted a link to a similar clock that had auto shutoff on weekends. I like that because I always forget to turn off the alarm and end up waking up too early on Sat.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 06:06 AM

My cats normally wake me up by purring and rubbing up against me. I’m not at all sure that they would be satisfied with a 30 minute lag however.
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 07:08 AM

I've been looking for something to help me get awake more naturally.

My problem is I set the clock from when I want to get up, 6 am, so I have to workout, make breakfast and lunch, etc. But many days I snooze it until 8 am, then I have no time to do anything.

I simply cannot make myself get up after the first time my buzzer goes off. It's too abrupt and I feel like my rest is being stolen from me.

I'm not sure the sunlight simulators will help since I am generally still snoozing the clock when it's already light in the bedroom. Maybe I need a gradual sound based alarm.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 07:13 AM

I just remembered, about 2 years ago, I dated this woman who had one of those sunrise devices. I HATED it! I found that it (obviously) wouldn't wake me right away...when it finally woke me up, it was kind of bright and it felt more like someone opening up the curtains in the room. It was hardly what I'd call a 'gradual' wake up.

The light was annoying and pissed me off because I had to squint. It was no more effective than a buzzer in your ear.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,208 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 21 2006 - 08:42 AM

I've got a 15 (soon to be 16)-year-old who could sleep until 2pm everyday if allowed.

I'm thinking about getting him an alarm clock to get him into the habit of waking up without parental assistance.

I thought maybe if he had one of those alarms which utilized his iPod it might be something he could get enthusiastic about. (fat chance in all probability Posted Image ).

Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the iPod alarm clock devices? Do they work well?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 08:50 AM

Two years ago, grieving after my alarm clock loss, I started this Alarm Clock Thread. Though I still occasionally recall my old friend, I have moved on.

I am pretty happy with my new morning assistant ... shown below.
http://us.st11.yimg....hop_1893_500731

The best part is that this one has the 5-2-7 feature, which lets you set it for weekdays only and it will stay quiet on the weekend. I also find it's pretty easy to change the time and the digital tuning radio is a MUST!
The above newest version adds nature sounds (all together now .... ahhhhhhh, nature sounds) for a soothing sanctuary effect day or night.

Cant go wrong for $36. Personally, I'd avoid the pricey alarm clocks, save it for your hifi.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
My cats normally wake me up by purring and rubbing up against me.

Do your cats have a snooze button?

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 10:33 AM

Yes—if I let them outside, they want to come back in about 15 minutes. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the iPod alarm clock devices? Do they work well?

Mike,

I got this unit http://www.amazon.co..._encoding=UTF8
for Father's Day.

I love it, but a few minor quibbles:
The volume and tuning dials are not particularly easy to turn.
I'd like a function that allows me to wake up to a random tune from my ipod.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with it.

Jon

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 10:51 AM

So Scott D, what model Timex is that?

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
I've got a 15 (soon to be 16)-year-old who could sleep until 2pm everyday if allowed.

I'm thinking about getting him an alarm clock to get him into the habit of waking up without parental assistance.

No clue abou the iPod, but here's what works for my 16 year old son who will also sleep till 1pm or 2pm if we let him:

One simple rule:

"Weekly allowances will be available for pay out in halves to all teenagers in this house who come to the kitchen showered and dressed no later than 10 am on Saturday, and 11 am on Sunday. All unclaimed allowances will be deemed unwanted, and forfeited."

Works like a charm. No fuss, no hassle, no problem.
Carl

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:42 PM

click here for details on the above Timex ... model # 309-T

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 03:03 PM

Only thing I do not like about that timex, and the current timex alarm clock we have is the 'dayglo' backlight LCD. I would much rather have the actual numbers be lit, not the background. So if anyone comes across the features of that timex without the backlit LCD, please post!

**edit**

guess this would be the closest thing, not quite as nice looking as the other posted.

http://alarm-clock-s....dualprtu1.html

Might have to give it a try though

#16 of 22 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted June 21 2006 - 04:50 PM

I have a 20 year old digital clock radio (analog tuning on radio) GE brand, beeps for the alarm or turns the radio on, you can set to volume

I also have a furry Cat alarm that usually goes off before the alarm clock, only way to set the snooze feature on that one is to get up and feed her, then she will let me go back to sleep (only do that on my off days)

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bunk
I'm not sure the sunlight simulators will help since I am generally still snoozing the clock when it's already light in the bedroom. Maybe I need a gradual sound based alarm.

I've found the secret to getting up in the morning is to go to bed early at night. Amazing how easy it is to get up at 7:00AM when you go to bed at 10:00PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dautel
click here for details on the above Timex ... model # 309-T

Had that Timex. Great clock, loved the 2-5-7 feature. I now use a Cambridge Soundworks radio and Sirius, but I miss the features of that little Timex.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie
I've found the secret to getting up in the morning is to go to bed early at night. Amazing how easy it is to get up at 7:00AM when you go to bed at 10:00PM.

Unfortunately, that plan interferes with my secrets for having great late night sex. So hitting the snooze bar it is...

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted June 22 2006 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
I've found the secret to getting up in the morning is to go to bed early at night. Amazing how easy it is to get up at 7:00AM when you go to bed at 10:00PM

Being a mountaineer/hiker, I'm used to the Alpine starts, but it never seems to work that going to bed earlier makes it easier to wake up in the morning.. Like if I knew I had to wake up at 2am to get on the road or whatever, for me to go to bed at say 8pm, would just mean 3 hours of tossing and turning. I normally go to bed around 10:30 so I think my body is conditioned to sleep then and doesn't like being messed with!

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
Men's Health mag says it's better to wake up slowly to something soothing, rather than to spring up from a blaring alarm.

If you prefer to be woken up quickly but hate blaring alarms, as I do, I recommend an alarm clock with a separate vibration unit you can place under the pillow or mattress.

My Shake Awake has a strong bass shaker type of low-frequency rumble that immediately wakes me up, but I don't consider it nearly as annoying as alarm sounds or music. I also hate bright light in the morning, therefore the vibrating clock is the only option... although my cat, too, sometimes wakes me up before the alarm!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow