What's new

Superman - Braniac Attacks DTV (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I watched the direct to video DVD release of "Superman: Braniac Attacks" yesterday, and it was not pretty. Maybe I was spoiled by the various Bruce Timm-produced animated programs set in the DC Universe that were appealing to adults as well as kids, but there is just nothing in this program for anyone over the age of ten to enjoy. They used the designs from "Superman: The Animated Series" and some of the voice cast (including Tim Daly and Dana Delany), but the characterizations are inconsistent.

The Luthor character, in particular, bears no resemblance to the character from the "Superman:TAS" or "Justice League" shows other than being drawn off of the same model sheet. He comes across as a neurotic buffoon in this presentation.

The plot concerns Lex Luthor teaming up with Braniac to bring down Superman, with a romantic subplot revolving around the archetypal Superman/Lois/Clark love triangle that isn't really a triangle. The latter is more interesting than the former, but not by much.

Two key character voices were re-cast, with Powers Boothe playing Lex Luthor and Lance Henriksen playing Braniac. Both are fine voice actors, as were their predecessors, but the writing is just so incredibly bad, that they don't really get a chance to make their own mark. The dialog is beyond banal.

On the technical side, the quality of the animation is up to and maybe even a little beyond the level of its predecessors, and the DVD presentation is solid. The 4:3 image looked rock solid and artifact-free even blown up to fill the middle of a 100" 16:9 screen. The DD5.1 soundtrack is a step-up from the pro-logic tracks on previous DC animated releases, but not at the level of a theatrical production in terms of creating an enveloping experience. Since the film largely consists of Superman and Braniac interminably pounding the H-E-double hockey sticks out of each other, the subwoofer does get a modest work-out.

The failure of this release should be laid squarely at the feet of writer Duane Capizzi ("The Batman" "Jackie Chan Adventures") who fails to do justice to what has come before. I would advise the folks at Warner/DC to involve some of the writing talent from their previously successful series such as Timm, Paul Dini, or Dwayne McDuffie if they revisit this universe again.

Regards,

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I happen to catch it on Saturday via Cartoon Network, and I must say I was disappointed. I almost got the sense that this was clearly before JL and JLU. But the character changes especially with Brainiac and Lex really did the movie in. Brainiac was more human than machine and Lex, well..., just a bafoon. Eventhough I was turned off by this movie, I'll will be purchasing this one for my 5 year old son.

This will at least give me some enjoyment.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
BTW, I was unsure in which forum to post this. It's a DTV release, but it did air on television a few days before it was available on DVD. If a moderator thinks this is more appropriate for the HT Software - TV Shows and TV Movies Forum, I have no problem seeing it moved.

Regards,

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did pick this up yesterday. My feeling was that I could watch the movie, grab the SR movie cash inside and then pawn it off somewhere if it was as bad as everyone was saying.

I may get to it tonight. At only 75 minutes, it can't be that hard to get through.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I thought too...but found myself looking at the timer a whole helluva lot.

I wish I hadn't wasted my time or money on this one.

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
By far this is the MOST disappointing thing Ive ever watched from any of the DC animated shows or movies. clearly weak cash-in release to flood the shelves with in the pre "returns" market.

John*D

Second Unit
I caught this on CN a few days ago. It really is bad. The changes to the voices for Luthor/Brainiac were really jarring. I knew Daly was coming back to voice Clark/Supe, which I was looking forward to, but was totally thrown off by what was done with the adversaries...

What was up with Brainiac constantly saying, "SON OF KRYPTON"...Whatever happened to good old classic, "Kal-El"...Then there is the pinball machine noise from the Tri-symbol on his head that kept playing whenever he reprogrammed something or was thinking, OMG that was so irritating! BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!!!!!

Overall it was pretty poor and I won't end up picking it up, even for the movie cash. If you are a S: TAS fan, just view it on CN.

It's a shame Timm wasn't involved.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I have to agree with everything said about this DTV release. I picked this up the other day and was really excited about it being a huge fan of the animated series. I assumed this would follow the same line of quality as the animated series or JLU, but my how that assumption was wrong. The writers of this movie had no respect for the original story arcs whatsoever and clearly didn't even do their research as there are several plot holes and inconsistencies with the cartoon in comparison to the original series. My biggest gripe (aside from the basic child-like dialogue) is that they didn't even bother to acknowledge that Brianiac was from Krypton! The scene where he is downloading in the fortress stating "all the secrets of the lost planet Krypton" is useless since a) he's from Krypton and wouldn't refer to it that way and b)he already downloaded everything from Krypton as shown in the animated series! Also, Luthor would want nothing to do with Brianiac after their last encounter... the list goes on...

The characterization of Luthor was cringe worthy, making him silly, and not the least threatening. As much as I like Powers Boothe, Clancy Brown owns that role...and it just sounded off. As nice as it was to have Tim Daley voice Superman again, it is clear that this film bears no resemblance to the animated series other than visually. Learning that this comes from the same writer as "The Batman" comes as no surprise, but a disappointment. I wish the original creators could have written a script, or at least someone who at least watched the animated series. This is clearly aimed at children and should be avoided by anyone who loves the original series.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yikes. I'm a huge fan of the series, and held this title in my hands just an hour ago at Target... but put it back. Glad I did. I don't think I'll even bother Netflixing it.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

Any fan of the series should avoid this release like a plague, you are better off for not having seen it. I hope this isn't the last hazzah for Superman Animated...it would make for a really sour bookend.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I ended up watching this last night. After hearing how horrible it was on here, my expectations were pretty low. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it seem like the movie covered basis we've already been over.

Plus, I couldn't get over how much of a two bit villain Lex turns out to be. Entirely too many smartass lines, a plan that hasn't been thought through...blah!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Thanks for the warning, folks. Mine's still in shrinkwrap, so it's going back. It's obviously superfluous to my Timm/Dini DC animated collection.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I was really disappointed in this one. The only recognizable name in the whole production crew was Curt Geda. Corey Burton and Clancy Brown were not involved. The story was ok, but I think it would have been much better if the original voices that I know and love were there.
It could have been better if they put more effort into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks