-

Photo
- - - - -

Lions Gate Press Release: WEEDS: Season One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,697 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:34 PM

“The most talked-about comedy in ages.” – Newsweek.com

“Weeds may indeed be the best-written new show of the year so far, but the performances are superb as well,
beginning with Parker and Perkins” – The San Francisco Chronicle

WEEDS: SEASON ONE

Street Date: 7/11/06
Order Date: 6/14/06
DVD SRP: $39.98

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Showtime’s award-winning TV series, “Weeds,” is now being made available for the first time on DVD. With an all-star cast including Golden Globe winner Mary-Louise Parker, Elizabeth Perkins and Kevin Nealon, Weeds: Season One examines family life in the suburban neighborhood of Agrestic, California, where recently widowed Nancy Botwin (Parker) is finding it hard to make ends meet while raising her two sons. Left with more family debt than expected, Nancy embarks on a new career as a pot dealer to pay the bills. As her business continues to grow, she has to hide her new career from her family and her best friend, PTA president Celia Hodes (Perkins). In the neighborhood of Agrestic, nothing is what it seems. Weeds: Season One includes all ten episodes of the groundbreaking first season. The DVD set is loaded with special features including “Smoke & Mirrors,” an original marijuana mockumentary, Agrestic “herbal” recipes, audio commentaries from the cast and show creator plus much more. Subversive, satirical and hilarious, the Weeds: Season One DVD is guaranteed to spark laughter!

With three Golden Globe nominations in 2006, one leading to a win for Parker for Best Performance by An Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy, “Weeds” has found great success during its first season, which originally aired in the summer/fall of 2005. The second season of this groundbreaking TV series begins airing in August 2006.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
•“Smoke & Mirrors” - original marijuana mockumentary narrated by Romany Malco
•Agrestic “herbal” recipes
• Smokey Snippits – humorous “extras” from cast interviews
•“Suburban Shakedown” featurette
• Six individual episode audio commentaries with show writer/creator Jenji Kohan, actors Kevin Nealon, Romany
Malco, Tonye Patano and Craig X.
•Showtime Original Series Shorts 1& 2 – individual Q & A’s with the cast
•Showtime Original “Weeds” Special
•“More than a Friend” by All Too Much music video

CAST
Mary-Louise Parker HBO’s Angels in America, Saved!, TV’s “The West Wing”
Elizabeth Perkins Big, Must Love Dogs, The Ring Two, Finding Nemo
Tonye PatanoLittle Manhattan, The Thing About My Folks
Romany MalcoThe 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Chateau
Justin KirkAsk the Dust, HBO’s Angels in America, Love! Valour! Compassion!
Hunter Parrishupcoming RV, Sleepover
Alexander GouldFinding Nemo, Bambi II, Curious George, upcoming How to Eat Fried Worms
Kevin Nealon TV’s “Saturday Night Live,” Anger Management, Daddy Day Care

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 2005
Title Copyright: © MMV Lions Gate Television Inc.
Type: TV on DVD
Rating: Not Rated
Genre: Comedy/Drama
Closed Captioned: English
Subtitles: Spanish, English
Format: Fullscreen
Feature Running Time: Approximately 280 minutes
DVD Audio Status: 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby Digital

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 37 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:39 AM

Boo, pan and scan, boo....

#3 of 37 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 07:03 AM

This series was originally filmed 4:3. It's not Pan&Scan. Fullscreen is the Original Aspect Ratio (think Curb Your Enthusiasm).

#4 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 07:11 AM

Are you sure about that Robert? Are they cropping for HD?

#5 of 37 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 09:22 AM

Someone already reported--maybe the TVoDVD guys--that Lionsgate is doing a fullscreen instead of 16:9 because more people have 4:3 sets. I think that's in the other thread....

#6 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 11:37 AM

The question remains - was this shot 16x9, meaning a FF release is cropping the sides, or is it shot 4:3 and matted for HD, cutting off the top and bottom?

#7 of 37 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 04:14 AM

Hm, that's curious. I've seen the first season on ONDEMAND and those were 4:3. That makes me very angry... and it looks like I won't be picking up this set when it's released. I have other DVDs that are much more worthy of my money... and I really really wanted Weeds: Season 1...

#8 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 05:25 AM

I think before anyone gets too upset we need to find out what the truth behind the aspect ratio is. If this is indeed "reformatted to fit your screen" (which it doesn't) then we can be upset.

#9 of 37 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 06:40 AM

From Gord Lacey in the other thread (http://www.hometheat....hlight=weeds):

"...Weeds was also broadcast on their HD channel in widescreen. Lionsgate said that they decided to go with Full Frame "because that's how most people saw it." I then emailed them a list of the shows that have been broadcast in both Full Frame and Widescreen, but released in Widescreen, including two of their releases; The Dead Zone and Wildfire."

#10 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 07:17 AM

That still doesn't answer the question. Just because it was widescreen on HD does not mean that a fullframe version is cropping the image. That doesn't make it right or preferable, but it does make a difference to what is actually seen if the fullframe version is only opening up the top and bottom, as opposed to cropping the sides. In the case of removing the mattes, viewers with widescreen sets could rematte the program for the widescreen composition by using the "theatrewide" or similar option. If the sides are missing, that is not possible.

#11 of 37 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 05:58 PM

EXAMPLE

Wonderfalls (2004) was broadcast HD by FOX and the later DVD release was in widescreen. The creators of the show said that apart from 2 episodes in the 13 episode DVD set being composed for 16:9 they found 4:3 to be the ratio they were framing for. The DVD sets being 16:9 was the decision FOX made.

Jeff is right. This might be a situation where Weeds is framed for 4:3 and filmed that way, and later cropped for HD broadcast. The best answer would be to figure it out from someone involved with the show. As it stands I'll wait until a firm answer is in before purchasing...

#12 of 37 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer
That still doesn't answer the question. Just because it was widescreen on HD does not mean that a fullframe version is cropping the image. That doesn't make it right or preferable, but it does make a difference to what is actually seen if the fullframe version is only opening up the top and bottom, as opposed to cropping the sides. In the case of removing the mattes, viewers with widescreen sets could rematte the program for the widescreen composition by using the "theatrewide" or similar option. If the sides are missing, that is not possible.

Right... but it means if I don't have a widescreen TV I can see the intended version. And shall we discuss the logic in companies releasing 4:3 content when everything is going 16:9?

I do remember, Showtime showed "Huff" letterboxed, so maybe "Weeds" was supposed to be seen 4:3. But I never saw it 4:3, only 16:9.

#13 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 23 2006 - 04:20 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'd prefer 16:9 and question the logic of doing 4:3, especially if that amounts to P&S. From the trailers I've seen, I suspect that is the case as the framing looks pretty tight, but I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone can.

#14 of 37 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 11:06 AM

I've done some digging and it looks like the 16:9 version DOES indeed show more. I've compared a copy my friend has on HD with the same clip shown on lionsgate's website for WEEDS. The website shows the scene 4:3, and all the information that is missing is on the sides. It looks cramped. Posted Image *SIGH*

#15 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 11:21 AM

Well that sucks. Posted Image

#16 of 37 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 10:09 PM

Whether a TV show is in widescreen or full-frame in this case shouldn't be such an issue. I'd complain about something more substantial: The Price: $40 retail for a 12 episode season is a ripoff!

By the way, does Mary-Louise have any nude scenes?

#17 of 37 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 11:35 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find it for $40 at most retail stores (apart from barnes & noble or even Best Buy after the first few weeks)

It's actually 10 episodes, not 12.

NOPE, as far as MLP nudity.

#18 of 37 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 02:38 PM

I haven't seen it any stores yet, and I went to Best Buy yesterday and Fry's today. Might be in the market for this one, but not anytime soon.

#19 of 37 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
I haven't seen it any stores yet, and I went to Best Buy yesterday and Fry's today. Might be in the market for this one, but not anytime soon.
You won't see it in stores for a couple weeks - it's not out until 7/11.

#20 of 37 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 07:35 PM

I've been looking forward to getting this one, but now I don't know what to do. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow