What's new

Sony vs Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Players (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been waiting like many of us here for HD Blu-ray to come out. And now we have to wait again for Blu-ray players for some stupid reason. I know Samsungs model is now available but I am not interested in a Samsung. And to my knowledge it does not do 1080p so there is another reason not to go Samsung.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the major differences is between the Sony and Pioneer Elite players are? Besides the Pioneer costing an extra $500 more than the Sony. If the Pioneer is going to be a better HD player than the Sony I will not have a problem paying the extra cost. If it is basically the same player as the Sony I would rather save the $500 and buy the Sony. :confused:

This new postponement of the Blu-ray release is getting old and is trying my patients. :angry::angry::angry:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What do you mean it doesn't do 1080P? To answer your other questions, since the Pioneer got pushed back to September and the Sony to the middle of August, who really knows what the specs. are going to be until they allow them to be published for the general public.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Robert, I can't speak for Dave, but you might want to read this thread over at AVS. Look at post #11 and some that follow.

Edit: Fixed link (sorry)

- Walter

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Robert,

Was refering to the Samsung not doing 1080p. That is my understanding that it only outputs 1080i. If that is wrong please correct me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure what's posted in that thread is correct?

From what the manual is saying, the player outputs 1080P.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
True, but I believe that there is an intermediate 1080i step inside the player that renders the Samsung player equivalent to connecting a 1080i output player to an external deinterlacer. This is what I thought Dave might be referring to, but you know what they say about asumptions. :) Nevermind.

- Walter.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Robert,

I don't own that machine so I am going on hearsay only. I would love to know if the Samsung displays a true 1080p or if it doesn't ? I am waiting for other blu-ray players to be available. I just cant get myself to want to buy a Samsung even though its a blu-ray. I guess the disc's are now available so I look foward to a review from you Robert.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So far it does look like it uses the Broadcomm decoder chip that cannot do 1080p. There is a de-interlacer (don't know how good it is) that handles the 1080i signal off the decoder.

Keith from Sigma Designs had said one of the first Blu-Ray players would not handle pure 1080p off the discs and this seems to be the one.

The Pioneer, for sure, uses the new Sigma Designs decoder which allows native 1080p/24, 1080i, 720p, etc. to be output from whatever is contained on the disc. The Sony may also use this chip too.

However, it may be that the Panasonic and later the PS3 that will also have HDMI 1.3 outputs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm kind of leery about taking comments from people as being totally correct when they might have a vested interest in a format like Blu-ray.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Sony has now pushed the release date of their BD player to October on Sony Style... ouch

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ouch!

All I can say is the Sony rollout for there own player better happen before the end of the year. If there is no Sony Blu-ray player by that time I will be buying a HD-DVD player and the movies to go with it. HD-DVD has a very good picture and good sound so I have no problem switching to HD-DVD. I still feel that Blu-ray offers more and brings more to the table. But I feel that waiting to the end of the year is giving Sony plenty of chances to get there act together.

I really did want a Blu-ray player, Sony needs to get there act together.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks