-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Sony vs Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Players


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,200 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have been waiting like many of us here for HD Blu-ray to come out. And now we have to wait again for Blu-ray players for some stupid reason. I know Samsungs model is now available but I am not interested in a Samsung. And to my knowledge it does not do 1080p so there is another reason not to go Samsung.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the major differences is between the Sony and Pioneer Elite players are? Besides the Pioneer costing an extra $500 more than the Sony. If the Pioneer is going to be a better HD player than the Sony I will not have a problem paying the extra cost. If it is basically the same player as the Sony I would rather save the $500 and buy the Sony. Posted Image

This new postponement of the Blu-ray release is getting old and is trying my patients. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,643 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
I have been waiting like many of us here for HD Blu-ray to come out. And now we have to wait again for Blu-ray players for some stupid reason. I know Samsungs model is now available but I am not interested in a Samsung. And to my knowledge it does not do 1080p so there is another reason not to go Samsung.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the major differences is between the Sony and Pioneer Elite players are? Besides the Pioneer costing an extra $500 more than the Sony. If the Pioneer is going to be a better HD player than the Sony I will not have a problem paying the extra cost. If it is basically the same player as the Sony I would rather save the $500 and buy the Sony. Posted Image

This new postponement of the Blu-ray release is getting old and is trying my patients. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
What do you mean it doesn't do 1080P? To answer your other questions, since the Pioneer got pushed back to September and the Sony to the middle of August, who really knows what the specs. are going to be until they allow them to be published for the general public.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

    Producer

  • 4,739 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 28 1998

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
What do you mean it doesn't do 1080P?

Robert, I can't speak for Dave, but you might want to read this thread over at AVS. Look at post #11 and some that follow.

Edit: Fixed link (sorry)

- Walter
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,643 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
Robert, I can't speak for Dave, but you might want to read this thread over at AVS. Look at post #11 and some that follow.

- Walter.
Walter,
Your link doesn't work for me.





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,200 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hello Robert,

Was refering to the Samsung not doing 1080p. That is my understanding that it only outputs 1080i. If that is wrong please correct me.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,643 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
Robert, I can't speak for Dave, but you might want to read this thread over at AVS. Look at post #11 and some that follow.

Edit: Fixed link (sorry)

- Walter
I'm not sure what's posted in that thread is correct?

From what the manual is saying, the player outputs 1080P.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

    Producer

  • 4,739 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 28 1998

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:30 AM

True, but I believe that there is an intermediate 1080i step inside the player that renders the Samsung player equivalent to connecting a 1080i output player to an external deinterlacer. This is what I thought Dave might be referring to, but you know what they say about asumptions. Posted Image Nevermind.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,200 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted June 20 2006 - 01:17 PM

Hey Robert,

I don't own that machine so I am going on hearsay only. I would love to know if the Samsung displays a true 1080p or if it doesn't ? I am waiting for other blu-ray players to be available. I just cant get myself to want to buy a Samsung even though its a blu-ray. I guess the disc's are now available so I look foward to a review from you Robert.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,200 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted June 20 2006 - 01:29 PM

Well according to the Samsung owners manual it does both 1080p and 1080i so I guess I was incorrect to belive that it was 1080i.

Was taking my information from this thread:
Home Theater Forum > Hi-Definition Area > HT Hardware - High Definition

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 


#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

    Screenwriter

  • 2,714 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 11 1999

Posted June 20 2006 - 02:59 PM

So far it does look like it uses the Broadcomm decoder chip that cannot do 1080p. There is a de-interlacer (don't know how good it is) that handles the 1080i signal off the decoder.

Keith from Sigma Designs had said one of the first Blu-Ray players would not handle pure 1080p off the discs and this seems to be the one.

The Pioneer, for sure, uses the new Sigma Designs decoder which allows native 1080p/24, 1080i, 720p, etc. to be output from whatever is contained on the disc. The Sony may also use this chip too.

However, it may be that the Panasonic and later the PS3 that will also have HDMI 1.3 outputs.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,643 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2006 - 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
So far it does look like it uses the Broadcomm decoder chip that cannot do 1080p. There is a de-interlacer (don't know how good it is) that handles the 1080i signal off the decoder.

Keith from Sigma Designs had said one of the first Blu-Ray players would not handle pure 1080p off the discs and this seems to be the one.

The Pioneer, for sure, uses the new Sigma Designs decoder which allows native 1080p/24, 1080i, 720p, etc. to be output from whatever is contained on the disc. The Sony may also use this chip too.

However, it may be that the Panasonic and later the PS3 that will also have HDMI 1.3 outputs.
I'm kind of leery about taking comments from people as being totally correct when they might have a vested interest in a format like Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 213 posts
  • Join Date: May 09 2006

Posted June 21 2006 - 04:40 PM

Sony has now pushed the release date of their BD player to October on Sony Style... ouch

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

    Producer

  • 3,200 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 07 2001

Posted June 22 2006 - 03:20 AM

Ouch!

All I can say is the Sony rollout for there own player better happen before the end of the year. If there is no Sony Blu-ray player by that time I will be buying a HD-DVD player and the movies to go with it. HD-DVD has a very good picture and good sound so I have no problem switching to HD-DVD. I still feel that Blu-ray offers more and brings more to the table. But I feel that waiting to the end of the year is giving Sony plenty of chances to get there act together.

I really did want a Blu-ray player, Sony needs to get there act together.Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
 

 



Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices



Forum Nav Content I Follow