What's new

HOLY FLIRKING SCHMIDT! New Lord of the Rings releases! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Third dip for each of these, but the doc sounds cool.....guess they're going for "quality over quantity" on the bonus features.

The theatrical AND extended editions via seamless branching on one disc? I thought ROTK theatrical had basically pushed the DVD-9 format to the absolute limit. Unless, of course, disc 1 will be a flipper, which would seem the only logical possibility to me. I wonder if these will be all new transfers? PJ mentioned that he'd like to revisit them for better picture quality.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I can't imagine triple dipping on these films when we have such high quality EE's now. I'll have to hear a lot more before I even consider getting these again.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_ID=9277

I find this both interesting and odd.

The Extended Editions run roughly 3:30, 3:45, and 4:10.

How do they get this and the theatrical version on one disc even using seamless branching?

That's the other thing. It's not like the extended editions are just the theatricals with "deleted scenes" dropped in. Many scenes use similar but alternate takes and are re-scored.

But even if they were just the EE's, how do you get any of them on one disc?

It will be interesting to hear more about what they are really doing with these.

I wonder if PJ has been able to change the CGI gollum in the prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring. He had said he wanted to change it for a "future hi def release" so that it matched the look used in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

Seeing as how the current EE's are great and I'm happy to wait for the HD DVD release of The Lord of the Rings, I doubt I'll be getting these. But I'm really curious about them.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Will definitely get these if only for the documentary.

Now if they'd just annouce a simultaneous release on one of the new HD formats I may be tempted to invest in one :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You know, I kinda wonder (hope) if re-issuing these on DVD now is a indication that they want to do that once more before they get a High Definition version out there.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I'm thinking disc 1 will most likely be a DVD-18. Given all the replication problems with those lately, that's cause for concern. But New Line has always done a great job with their flagship trilogy, and I doubt they'd give us a sub-par release.

This would almost HAVE to be a brand-new transfer if they're doing seamless branching, since you can't really take a master of the EE's only and "cut it down" to the theatricals - as someone mentioned, there's too much different footage and such. It will indeed be interesting to see if PJ has done any Lucas-style tampering to bring some shots "closer to his original vision".

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I'm kindof pissed, to tell the truth. I thought that the previous 18 discs they released probably covered it all and were safe to buy.

However, I never picked up the theatrical cuts for Two Towers and Return of the King, and I prefer the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and King over the extended ones...

...plus the possibility of a new transfer...

...plus CG tinkerings...

...plus new documentaries...

...final result: I'm going to complain about it for about two seconds and then pre-order them, then stand on my doorstep for two months waiting for the package to arrive!

EDIT: Plus those new boxes are so damned sexy!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I already own *both* the theatrical 2-disc sets and the EE 4-disc sets for all three movies. Unless these new documentaries are exceedingly *compelling* and *absolutely riveting* I just can't see myself purchasing these movies again at this point.

(But, then again, if they *are* compelling and riveting ... well ... :) )

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
That's Schmitt with two T's and no D, by the way.

But I am Holy. And flirking. Well, I was flirking yesterday, a little after lunch.

Kami

Screenwriter
Costa Botes documentaries will be worth the price of admission alone. Sign me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks