Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HOLY FLIRKING SCHMIDT! New Lord of the Rings releases!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
164 replies to this topic

#1 of 165 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 327 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:13 AM

Third dip for each of these, but the doc sounds cool.....guess they're going for "quality over quantity" on the bonus features.

The theatrical AND extended editions via seamless branching on one disc? I thought ROTK theatrical had basically pushed the DVD-9 format to the absolute limit. Unless, of course, disc 1 will be a flipper, which would seem the only logical possibility to me. I wonder if these will be all new transfers? PJ mentioned that he'd like to revisit them for better picture quality.
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#2 of 165 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like a killer app if it will be HD-DVD...

#3 of 165 James Ryfun

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:23 AM

I can't imagine triple dipping on these films when we have such high quality EE's now. I'll have to hear a lot more before I even consider getting these again.

#4 of 165 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:24 AM

Where did you get the news??
I've got my own Toto

#5 of 165 CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:38 AM

Um Link?

#6 of 165 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:39 AM

that's what I thought as well
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 165 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,486 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:01 AM

http://www.homemedia....rticle_ID=9277

I find this both interesting and odd.

The Extended Editions run roughly 3:30, 3:45, and 4:10.

How do they get this and the theatrical version on one disc even using seamless branching?

That's the other thing. It's not like the extended editions are just the theatricals with "deleted scenes" dropped in. Many scenes use similar but alternate takes and are re-scored.

But even if they were just the EE's, how do you get any of them on one disc?

It will be interesting to hear more about what they are really doing with these.

I wonder if PJ has been able to change the CGI gollum in the prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring. He had said he wanted to change it for a "future hi def release" so that it matched the look used in The Two Towers and The Return of the King.

Seeing as how the current EE's are great and I'm happy to wait for the HD DVD release of The Lord of the Rings, I doubt I'll be getting these. But I'm really curious about them.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#8 of 165 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:06 AM

Will definitely get these if only for the documentary.

Now if they'd just annouce a simultaneous release on one of the new HD formats I may be tempted to invest in one Posted Image

#9 of 165 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,486 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:14 AM

You know, I kinda wonder (hope) if re-issuing these on DVD now is a indication that they want to do that once more before they get a High Definition version out there.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#10 of 165 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:14 AM

Posted Image

Quote:
The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King will each be presented in two-disc “Limited Edition” sets with an exclusive behind-the scenes documentary. The DVDs street Aug. 29 at $28.98 each.

For each film, disc one presents both the theatrical version of the film and its extended edition through seamless branching, while disc two features an intimate, never-before-seen documentary created by Costa Botes. The feature-length documentaries, with more than 300 minutes of never-before-available footage, focus on a number of complexities and circumstances and affected the making of the movies.

#11 of 165 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 327 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:17 AM

I'm thinking disc 1 will most likely be a DVD-18. Given all the replication problems with those lately, that's cause for concern. But New Line has always done a great job with their flagship trilogy, and I doubt they'd give us a sub-par release.

This would almost HAVE to be a brand-new transfer if they're doing seamless branching, since you can't really take a master of the EE's only and "cut it down" to the theatricals - as someone mentioned, there's too much different footage and such. It will indeed be interesting to see if PJ has done any Lucas-style tampering to bring some shots "closer to his original vision".
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#12 of 165 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:21 AM

This would explain the price drop on the EEs.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 165 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
while disc two features an intimate, never-before-seen documentary created by Costa Botes. The feature-length documentaries, with more than 300 minutes of never-before-available footage, focus on a number of complexities and circumstances and affected the making of the movie

Sold
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 165 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:43 AM

I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off my ROTK EE.

#15 of 165 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 20 2006 - 10:50 AM

I always felt that the LOTR movies were lacking in features, I'm glad New Line is correcting that. Posted Image

#16 of 165 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:02 AM

I'm kindof pissed, to tell the truth. I thought that the previous 18 discs they released probably covered it all and were safe to buy.

However, I never picked up the theatrical cuts for Two Towers and Return of the King, and I prefer the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and King over the extended ones...

...plus the possibility of a new transfer...

...plus CG tinkerings...

...plus new documentaries...

...final result: I'm going to complain about it for about two seconds and then pre-order them, then stand on my doorstep for two months waiting for the package to arrive!

EDIT: Plus those new boxes are so damned sexy!

#17 of 165 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:03 AM

I already own *both* the theatrical 2-disc sets and the EE 4-disc sets for all three movies. Unless these new documentaries are exceedingly *compelling* and *absolutely riveting* I just can't see myself purchasing these movies again at this point.

(But, then again, if they *are* compelling and riveting ... well ... Posted Image )
Joseph
---------------

#18 of 165 Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:20 AM

That's Schmitt with two T's and no D, by the way.

But I am Holy. And flirking. Well, I was flirking yesterday, a little after lunch.
Beth is Dawg's bitch!

#19 of 165 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:27 AM

Makes me sad. Posted Image

#20 of 165 Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 11:41 AM

Costa Botes documentaries will be worth the price of admission alone. Sign me up.

Forum Nav Content I Follow