Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warning..John Wayne/John Ford Canadian Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Jay_J

Jay_J

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 04:20 AM

Just a warning for all Canadians looking to buy this box set. It is missing the Stagecoach 2 disc edition. Must be a rights issue, as it has been removed from the packaging listing as well. I found this in two places today...Sunrise and HMV, both without Stagecoach. Seems the Dominion of Tax has been royally screwed again. First we wait two weeks, then this happens! Looks like I'll be picking this one up south of the border next week. Jay
JJ

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 05:05 AM

What could possibly be a rights issue about the content in the extras? Anyways, thanks for the warning... I think a drive to Burlington or NY State is in order in the next few weeks. I'm really getting tired of all these Canadian issues recently with packaging, content, features, etc.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 05:36 AM

It's not the extras - it's Castle Hill titles in Canada. TO BE OR NOT TO BE was missing from Classic Comedies Collection in Canada as well.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 05:47 AM

Wow... so Stagecoach is just not in the set altogether? I guess that's not really WB's fault, but frustrating none the least. At least I won't have to complain about bilingual packaging now...

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Jay_J

Jay_J

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 07:38 AM

I didn't realize To Be or Not To Be was left off the Classic Comedies. I bought that box in Atlanta last year while heading to our condo in Orlando. Of course, it had To Be or Not To Be included. I refuse to purchase any substandard Canadian edition of either music or dvd, I just add it to my list, and pick it up the next trip south. If everyone could do the same (which I know most can't) these companies would get their act together up here in a hurry. Jay
JJ

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   ChristianB

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 09:26 AM

Stagecoach was always N/A in Canada. It was treated as an import DVD. There's no French language track on the DVD anyway so it wouldn't have been an issue. Christian

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   PatW

PatW

Screenwriter

• 1,543 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 12:03 AM

It was included in the set I purchased from Amazon.ca I'll be picking up my John Wayne/John Ford set south of the border. Thank God I live right near the border.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:28 AM

Does anyone know anything about the John Ford set? I haven't seen that one on shelves here yet either... has anyone picked it up, and if so, is it a safe purchase on all accounts (full content, extras, packaging, etc)? Thanks!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,973 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted June 21 2006 - 03:31 AM

So presumably THE LONG VOYAGE HOME is also missing from the Canadian John Wayne/John Ford box set because that is also a Castle Hill title?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 21 2006 - 08:48 AM

I'm glad I had it pre-ordered out of the states. Funny thing is, with the exchange right now, you can buy the more complete US editions for less money than you can the Canadian editions that are missing content even factoring in the tax and shipping.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,451 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted June 21 2006 - 01:11 PM

^ Yeah, I was going to say, what's all this "having to drive to the States" thing? amazon.com is perfectly serviceable, save your gas and time. Just bunch your titles if necessary to help compensate for the initial shipping hit, the box set counts as 1 disc. The shipping cost is practically invisible considering you won't pay any tax, which would be 15% here..considering what the box set costs it would be a wash just on this one item alone. amazon.com packs MUCH MUCH better than amazon.ca does, at least when they ship to Canada they do. I'd call their packing impressive even, compared to everybody else...for those who worry about package damage.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 21 2006 - 02:14 PM

Another thing about this, and than I'm done as I've said before, I already ordered this out of the States w/ Amazon.com (worked out to about $50 cdn.) Why are Canadians finding out about these issues on the day of release? Warners must of known that this set was going to be missing Stagecoach, that Comedy Classics was going to be missing "To Be Or Not To Be" and that the "Wizard Of Oz Ultimate Set" was going to be missing the cartoon. To be frank, it's horse shit. And like Marco asked: Where's the John Ford set?

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 03:09 PM

Did Canada get the the second disc of A Streetcar Named Desire? Elia Kazan: a Director's Journey is a Castle Hill property. Foreign Correspondent, A Night in Casablanca, and A Face in the Crowd are Castle Hill properties too. Did they show up in their respective boxes? Just curious.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,451 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted June 21 2006 - 03:55 PM

Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock) and A Night in Casablanca (Marx) sure did. But we got the old NxNW packaging in Canada (STILL haven't seen the new here...an old wound).

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted June 21 2006 - 10:09 PM

Yes, I have the NxNW packaging from the Warner Hitchcock set, as well as second disc of Streetcar. But I agree that it's ridiculous that we need to find this information out on these forums, after the sets have already been released. This should be made public to us beforehand.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Jay_J

Jay_J

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 02:48 AM

I picked up the John Ford set at Sunrise on Tuesday morning. As far as I can tell, nothing is missing from that set. Jay
JJ

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Jay, is it a greenlight on the packaging too, or do we have bilingual text on this one?

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 10:08 AM

No bilingual covers/packaging for the John Ford Film Collection. Posted Image
Master Trader at HOME THEATER FORUM
Gold Trader at DVD TALK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users