-

Photo
- - - - -

Baywatch Announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#1 of 119 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 05:07 AM

Over at TVShowsonDVD they have announced BAYWATCH for release in October. Only a kind of odd release.

Seasons 2 and 3 will be released (the first two syndicated years). And each will contain episodes from the first season (the NBC season). So, in order to get all of season 1, you have to get all the other seasons.

I've been surprised by how long it has taken for this show to get a DVD release. At one point in the 90's, it was the biggest TV show on the planet, with more countries around the world watching it than any other show.

But, I always suspected that music rights were the main hold up. No word on if the music will be changed.

Can't say I was much of a fan, or watched it that often, but I did remember the pilot film very well. It played on NBC a few months before it became a series and was extremely well done. Especially in its use of music. I remember they had several Bruce Hornsby songs used very effectively in it. I'd buy one of the seasons if they had that on one of the sets. Haven't seen it since it first aired.

#2 of 119 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 05:26 AM

Guys, I'm so excited that these season sets are finally coming our way. While I have no feelings one way or another since I mostly watched the series in syndication because Foxx 66 in our area moved the series around so much and it was always on late at night that I don't care what format the episodes are in as long as it's on DVD.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5876

#3 of 119 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 05:55 AM

go figure season 1 gets the shaft, there are a lot of Billy Warlock and Erika Eleniak fans who don't want the latter episodes. I know these episodes weren't quite as popular as the latter ones, but I know I'm not the only one in considering those the best

#4 of 119 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 07:03 AM

Season 1 isn't getting the shaft. Fans are gettings one disk per set:

Collection 1 (Season 2) Season 1 Disk 1
Collection 2 (Season 3) Season 1 Disk 2
Collection 3 (Season 4) Season 1 Disk 3
Collection 4 (Season 5) Season 1 Disk 4
Collection 5 (Season 6) Season 1 Disk 5
Collection 6 (Season 7) Season 1 Disk 6
Collection 7 (Season 8) Season 1 Disk 7
Collection 8 (Season 9) Season 1 Disk 8

Along with a mail in rebate for the box holder for the Season 1 disks.

#5 of 119 Johnny S

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

True. But lets say someone only wanted to buy the 1st season, or first few seasons? It dosen't make that much sense to me...
Favourite Series: Friends, Angel, The Simpsons, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, The King Of Queens, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace and Brothers & Sisters.

#6 of 119 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 07:49 AM

Quote:

yes, but what if one doesn't want the post-CJ seasons?

#7 of 119 BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 08:15 AM

The artwork is confusing as well. Billy Warlock and Erika Eleniak were still the "major" supporting cast members along with Alexandra Paul in season 2. I don't see them anywhere on that box. How many people on that box were even in Season 2? Maybe I'm just not recalling correctly, but if the blond is Nicole Eggert, that would be the only one offhand that I'm sure was in the second season.

#8 of 119 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 08:31 AM

Isn't that Carmen Electra on the Collection 1-cover? She didn't show up until Season 7 or something

#9 of 119 Juan Books

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 08:52 AM

Quote:

If there ever was a stupid way of releasing a season...

I would have bought the series had it been released in a proper manner.

#10 of 119 RoryR

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 08:53 AM

Very interesting move.

I don't understand why they did it though. I could understand holding Season 1 off for a while or something, but to release it like that is very odd.

#11 of 119 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 09:01 AM

Season 1 of "Baywatch" was a much different show than what it evolved into as a syndicated series.

The opening theme was "Save Me" by Peter Cetera. In many respects, the show had higher production values on NBC than in syndication, but the show didn't achieve popularity until it was cancelled by NBC.

Personally, I think it is a "smart" move from a marketing standpoint.

Essentially, in order to get the first season that aired on NBC, you have to purchase all 9 of the syndicated seasons. That is a good way for the studio to "push" other seasons on consumers.

There have been a couple of threads recently about how shows drop in sales after the first season is released. By releasing the "lost" season of "Baywatch" as a bonus on each season, they give "collectionists" and incentive to buy.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the music rights.

If the shows remain largely intact, I'd be interested in purchasing.

We all know these sets will sell for a lot less than the $34.99 listed.

#12 of 119 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 09:46 AM

I dount that $34.99 price. Remember. Those images for Collection 1 and Collection 2 are probably just test images. I noticed that the photo on Collection 2 is the way Mitch looked later on during the series. My guess is that we'll see "Season" instead of "Collection" imprinted on the cover of each package. I don't like the collection bit that's printed on the package.

#13 of 119 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 09:49 AM

I wasn't fond of the sample cover art, either.

#14 of 119 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
go figure season 1 gets the shaft, there are a lot of Billy Warlock and Erika Eleniak fans who don't want the latter episodes. I know these episodes weren't quite as popular as the latter ones, but I know I'm not the only one in considering those the best

Yes. I watched it when it was on NBC, but not so much the later years. It was a bit more serious early on.

But, as mentioned, it does make sense since the show was not very popular in the NBC years. They cancelled it since it was doing so poorly. Season 1 would probably sell poorly, so it makes sense to include it as an extra of sorts.

As for Eleniak, I haven't seen her in a while, but read that she was going to be on the new season of Celebrity Fit Club on VH1. Probably as far as Baywatch as you can get.

#15 of 119 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
I know these episodes weren't quite as popular as the latter ones, but I know I'm not the only one in considering those the best

That first season was my favorite - it seemed to be more about the stories.
I recall that E! THS about this show and the producers said that season 1 was the weakest, while I found it the strongest and didn't bother with it much after that when I saw them in reruns...weird, no?

I'd say season 1 was a show I genuinely enjoyed, while the latter seasons weren't really worth changing the channel for unless there was nothing else on.

#16 of 119 Johnny S

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 01:16 PM

So I am assuming they are trying to cash in big-time by slapping Carmen on the Collection 1 cover? Well I geuss I can deal with that considering they seem to be commited to releasing the whole series in a relatively short period of time. I applaud them for that. It really is a breath of fresh air considering the recent controversies over series abandonment on DVD.
Favourite Series: Friends, Angel, The Simpsons, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, The King Of Queens, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace and Brothers & Sisters.

#17 of 119 BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
But, as mentioned, it does make sense since the show was not very popular in the NBC years. They cancelled it since it was doing so poorly. Season 1 would probably sell poorly, so it makes sense to include it as an extra of sorts.

But, with "Baywatch", success is totally relative. Calling it less popular during the NBC years may not be completely accurate. What one would consider a failure for a network prime-time tv show is not the same thing as what would be a failure for a syndicated show. Did season 2 of Baywatch actually pull in more viewers than season 1? Or was it just a success relative to other syndicated shows?

When Baywatch first became the number 1 syndicated show in the U.S., it had a 3.5 rating (at the time, roughly 3.5 million households). Picking a random airing on NBC (3/9/1990), the show finished 2nd to last in it's timeslot (it beat "The Bradys"!) with an 8.4 rating (at the time, roughly 7.7 million households). It's very possible that season one is the most watched season of the show... well, before reruns.

It's like if you stuck a huge WB (CW) "hit" on NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX. A hit for the WB might be getting 4-5 million viewers. A show that gets 5 million viewers on any of the big 4 networks would be cancelled in no time. Had Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiered on Fox, it wouldn't have made it past episode 4.

Part of the success of Baywatch was that it was sold all over the world while in syndication, while season 1 was stuck in the U.S. on Friday nights and held to a higher standard.

All of that being said, season 1 is easily my favorite. I liked Parker Stevenson's character and the dynamic between him and Hasselhoff. I'm cool with the Jim Jameson theme song, but the Peter Cetera one is my favorite.

I cannot wait to see how the music is handled.

#18 of 119 JonathanBB

JonathanBB

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 02:15 PM

What a stupid idea of putting out Season 1. Of stupid thing I have seen happen in the DVD TV world.
-Jonathan

Mama's Family: The Complete First Season is heading to DVD September 26th!

#19 of 119 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 03:55 PM

Well, I would have bought season 1 as that was the only one I thought wasn't total crap. It actually had stories and plots as opposed to being just one long jiggly music video, which is what the show became in syndication. So they lose me for a sale as I won't buy 10 seasons or whatever the syndication run was just to get the NBC episodes. I will either transfer my SVHS masters or Netflix them.

#20 of 119 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 07:17 PM

I don't know why everyone's complaining about the series and about the packaging for Season 1. It's a terrific marketing gimmick. We're finally getting the series on DVD and I love the theme song that they used for the syndicated episodes. That's the theme song that everyone associates with the series, not the Peter Cetera song.

By the way, burning the DVD's from Netflex is still AGAINST THE LAW.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow