Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Making your own Ring tones etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 17 2006 - 04:35 PM

Just getting into this whole technical side of Cell phones. I've gone from never wanting one at all, to using one every day, to now wanting to get rid of the soooo annoying stock tones. But I will be damned if I will pay Verizon $3 for 15 seconds of a song when the phone I have (LG vx8100) was designed by the OEM to play any music/MP3s I want to drop on an SD card. Its criminal IMO that they make it so hard to do so.

Been intending to get the cable to hook my phone up to my PC for a while and never did it, finally got the cable off Ebay for $4 today and bought a whole gig of storage for it off buy.com for $31. Gonna use BitPim to put free ringtones and wallpapers on, based on the other forums Ive read sounds like that is the way to go.

Speaking of which, the cell phone forums seem radically hit or miss with info, what are a few of your favorite sites for phone info?

This is probably the most info I've seen for my own phone:

http://www.howardfor...ad.php?t=688705

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or if I'm the only geek doing so. I suppose I cant be when the cables are selling 5 per minute on ebay...

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 01:05 AM

I use Audacity to splice, cut or edit any MP3 then upload it to my cell. Right now I have the HALO theme on my cell. Not everyone knows of it but my phone rang once inside an EBgames store and everybody in there knew what it was.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 03:16 AM

You know, with all the complaints about iTunes music protection and other restrictions on devices, I'm amazed that there isn't more outrage on the total "stranglehold" they have with Cell Phones.

They charge you up the butt for ringtones and games, and not only do they SUCK, but you can't transfer them when you buy a new phone.

Posted Image

I looked into creating my own ringtones. I figured "How difficult could it be"? Ugh, they make it too damn hard. I hate the fact that I don't have any freedom with my cell phone.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 18 2006 - 08:10 AM

I have a Moto V551 that plays mp3 ringtones. I got Motorola Phone Tools and a cable to connect to the pc. The MPT application comes with a tool that takes an mp3, lets the user decide how much of it to use, and then loads it on to the phone.

I like the concept, but I find MPT to be a bit buggy. Still it works.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend