What's new

Auto racing themed films? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In preparation to watch the new Grand Prix, I tried to think of other movies that focused on professional auto racing. Here's what came to mind right away:

Days of Thunder
Cars

Clearly I'm forgetting many a flick - what else has been out there?

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
Driven (F1 racing with Stallone)
the upcoming Talledega Nights (Nascar with Will Farrell)
the Herbie movies

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
ChampCar, not F1 (Sorry, but F1 fans will probably blow a gasket if they see someone referring to ChampCar as F1).

Other films:
Le Mans (the real 24-hour race was this past weekend, too).
Winning

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say Driven isn't worth mentioning because it is one of the worst movies ever made....

One of my favorite DVDs of all time is the IMAX Superspeedway disc - just cannot be beat for the "you are there" feeling.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
True. I left off the part about the F1 fans blowing even more gaskets for thinking a POS like Driven was an F1 film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Heart Like a Wheel with Bonnie Bedelia.

The Cannonball Run

The Fast and the Furious

I'm all over Talledega Nights! For a NASCAR fan like me, this looks hilarious, even the name of Will Farrel's character is funny...'Ricky Bobby' lol. You have to be a fan to know why that name is funny. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Huh? There were almost no real cars in the whole movie, it was almost entirely CG, and not even good CG at that...and the cinematography was not exactly top rate. There were a few cool scenes, but otherwise the movie was crap with dialogue that seemed like it was written by a 10yr old.

Cannonball Run...goofy, fun, I loved it :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They're talking about the TRANSFER, not the cinematography....not to mention we're talking about the MOVIE. I don't think I'm the one who needs to look again. The best cinematography on earth can't make a crappy movie better...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The CGI cars in Driven are not relavent here anyway, this thread is about racing themed films, and Driven is certaintly one of them.

It's a bad film, but it IS a film about auto racing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll second that "Superspeedway" recommendation. Excellent film about racing. I found it to be very interesting and I am not a racing fan by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I generally find auto racing boring......at least until someone crashes :) .....but "Superspeedway" succeeded in giving one the feel of sitting in a racing car.

Edited to add:

Fast and the Furious 1, 2 and 3 both involve auto racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks