Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#41 of 259 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,395 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 06:15 AM

There are rumors that LOTG will be available for sale on DVD beginning "Late January or February" of 2007 according to tvondvd.com (The Parent site to this board). We'll just have to sit back and be Patient.

(Just to put my Two Cents worth in, DO NOT BUY BOOTLEG DVDS! Posted Image Just like the sale of Illegal Drugs, many "Bootleggers" have connections to Terrorist Groups. The next time you hear of a Terrorist Attack somewhere, if you bought a Pirated TV Show or Movie, Congratulations! You HELPED FINANCE that crime! Posted Image )

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#42 of 259 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 05:36 AM

I've been waiting a long time for this set. Only two seasons but I would guess Fox will break it up into four sets. Loved this show as a kid

#43 of 259 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 01:51 AM

I'm confident the show will arrive in the near future. I'm patiently waiting.

#44 of 259 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,775 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 05:12 AM

Ditto on both!
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#45 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 08:33 AM

Fox to release the entire series in one set sometime in 2007. If only they had done that in the first place with VTTBOTS and especially with "Time Tunnel"! Hopefully this will result in more series getting released this way.

http://tvshowsondvd....cfm?NewsID=6728

#46 of 259 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 08:46 AM

Michael, I'm laughing as I read the article . . . this is one series where I want the early episodes, but not the whole series. I'd have to say that I'm in the minority on this one . . . season 1, volume 1 would have been fine for me (or even the complete season 1, for that matter). But, I'm guessing from feedback that they've received from fans, Amazon reviews, etc. that Fox probably knows that most Irwin Allen fans want these series in complete form. It'll be interesting to see what Fox does with the remainder of VTTBOTS after the release of season 2, volume 2.

#47 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 09:05 AM

Bob, I very nearly wrote that in my post. All I intended to get was the first 12 episodes in order to have the pilot ("The Crash"). I was willing to round out S1 sometime down the road watching for a future price drop. Oh well...let's just hope "The Fugitive" and others go the same route.

#48 of 259 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 09:59 AM

Soo.....wait.....no one wants the entire series of "Land of the Giants"? Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#49 of 259 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 10:17 AM

I do ! But then I collect entire series of most everything from the 60s.

#50 of 259 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,282 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 10:40 AM

I'd rather have the whole series than just a piece of it.

#51 of 259 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 14 2006 - 11:06 AM

Well, I suspect there are a number of people who know that Irwin's pilots were always entertaining and exciting, and after that, the quality tended to tail off. Slower in some cases, faster in others. LAND OF THE GIANTS is one I'd easily have bought the first bunch of for sure, and maybe waited for a deal on the balance of the episodes. Maybe FOX sensed this - several here have expressed just the same idea - and are working around it. "You want the first bunch - take 'em all!" Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#52 of 259 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 12:22 PM

Wow, you guys are tough! I hope this complete series experiment is successful and continues. I was thinking of other, two season Fox shows and all I could think of was the western series, LANCER which, like GiIANTS, had 51 episodes and was on for the same two seasons, 1968-1970. But, I guess. LANCER is a real longshot for DVD release. Why did Betty have to get preggers??

#53 of 259 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,343 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 14 2006 - 04:02 PM

I never saw it but I will blind buy it as it sounds terribly interesting from a plot point and this kind of thinking deserves a reward.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#54 of 259 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 07:27 PM

I do. And since it's the entire series, I'll buy it no matter what the cost. Now if it was just split season sets, I would have passed.

#55 of 259 OFFLINE   Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 12:05 AM

It's strange; Fox have swung from one extreme - releasing half-season sets even though this means only a dozen or so episodes - because they obviously thought that sets for shows with big numbers of episodes would mean large sets with a big price that might put people off, to the other - a whopping great 51 episode box! I can't help but wonder if Fox had some concerns that some customers might not buy every half-season of LOTG and have gone for a policy of getting those who only want a selection of episodes buy the lot in an "all or nothing" policy.. It's certainly a strange turn of events. Time Tunnel would have been a better candidate, with only 32 episodes, and one season - one set would have made sense...but we got two!

#56 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 12:07 AM

Just to clarify my position--I'm very happy for LOTG fans that the entire series is coming out and hope that this leads to future complete classic tv sets. It's ironic to me that of the 4 Irwin Allen shows, the one I least favor is the one to get the complete series release. And now it looks as though LOTG will be finished with long before I have my 8 "paperback sized" sets for VTTBOTS. Bob and me just think it ironic that after lamenting the fact that with so many of our favorites being released piecemeal, the one show we were willing to own a "sampler" of gets accorded a full series release.
If that is their philosophy, it would then probably make better marketing sense to release S3 and S4 of VTTBOTS as one set as well.

#57 of 259 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,308 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 01:06 AM

well that's nice about Land of the Giants but I simple may not be purchasing another Fox Iwin Allen Series because of those Damn Flippers, I discovered another skipping disk issue on Disk 2 of Season 2 VTTBOTS, now too late to get an exchange I have to eat it. I simply refuse to buy anymore TV Product from Fox on flippers, all my flippers show excess wear and scratches even thou I take care of the disks. My other sets on DVD9 are pristine. Even Universal has gone back to DVD 9's. I'll simply have to Netflix the disks where the Fox Product is on DVD9.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#58 of 259 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 15 2006 - 01:19 AM

I'll get this set but I would have probably bought S1 only. Ironic, indeed Posted Image Mike & Bob, I had the same thoughts when Gord announced this one. I see Gord's point, as he's got studio contacts. When reading this thread, it might be somewhat confusing to get the pulse of the vintage TV/DVD collector crowd. Sounds like another "vote" thread brewing. "Would you buy complete set releases or continue buying single-season sets?" For me, it would depend on the series, as I'd guess would be the case for almost everyone else here.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#59 of 259 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted December 15 2006 - 01:21 AM

Amen brother! I am tired of it too. And when you get a disc with 3 episodes on one side and 2 on the other thats not exactly taxing for them to use a DVD 9 in the first place! (it seems it my job to always post after Jeff Willis!)

#60 of 259 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 15 2006 - 01:33 AM

Hey, guys, could you help me out here with the "flipper" thing? Is that where there are 2 discs mounted in the same slot of a set, where you have to remove one disc to remove the disc beneath it? Or is that referring to a DVD9 that's 2-sided? Just curious. I'd guess that it's 2-sided DVD9's .

"There may be worse things than posting after that guy, Jeff Willis. But watch out...he's a fanatic vintage TV/DVD collector Posted Image"

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users