Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
258 replies to this topic

#21 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
Hopefully some Land Of The Giants DVD release news will be heading our way soon.

Not confirmed, but S1 vol.1 may get released sometime early in 2007:

http://tvshowsondvd....cfm?NewsID=6476

#22 of 259 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 04 2006 - 04:11 AM

Didn't take long for someone to beat me to the post Posted Image Thanks, Mike for getting the word to HTF fast. Sounds like it'll happen, we'll just wait for Gord/Dave's confirm at TSoD.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#23 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 04:24 AM

Sorry about that, Jeff...I'll try and restrain myself 10 minutes longer following the announcement for "Voyage" S2, vol. 2!

This is one case where I might appreciate the split season arrangement--time will tell. It's not my favorite IA series, in fact my order of preference for the 'big four' he developed falls exactly in line with the order in which they were produced. There's no denying though that the pilot episode was filmed with a great deal of lavish care--I believe it took eleven days to shoot it.

#24 of 259 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 04 2006 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ks
Sorry about that, Jeff...I'll try and restrain myself 10 minutes longer following the announcement for "Voyage" S2, vol. 2!

This is one case where I might appreciate the split season arrangement--time will tell. It's not my favorite IA series, in fact my order of preference for the 'big four' he developed falls exactly in line with the order in which they were produced. There's no denying that the pilot episode was filmed with a great deal of lavish care--I believe it too eleven days to shoot it.

10 minutes will be acceptable to the HTF Board Posted Image

I agree on your IA series ranking. LOTJ wasn't my favorite one either but I will get V1 of this one and see how it's stood the test of time for me. Since I haven't seen this one in syndication in many years. it'll be a fresh view for me as well. I do remember some of it; that giant-sized paperclip to climb up the desks, etc.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#25 of 259 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
LOTJ wasn't my favorite one either but I will get V1 of this one and see how it's stood the test of time for me. Since I haven't seen this one in syndication in many years. it'll be a fresh view for me as well.

I watched this faithfully about a dozen years ago when the Sci-Fi channel broadcast it in the mornings (I had a six week recuperation from a broken ankle). I thought the pilot was great . . . imaginative visuals and special effects within the context of a late 1960s TV series . . . and I enjoyed the early episodes so I'll at least get Volume 1. But for me, the show progressed into silliness (much like "Lost in Space") and the final straw was when Jonathan "Dr. Smith" Harris appeared as a giant "Pied Piper" type character.

#26 of 259 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
...and the final straw was when Jonathan "Dr. Smith" Harris appeared as a giant "Pied Piper" type character.

Yes, that episode ("Pay the Piper") is in essence, LOTG's "Great Vegetable Rebellion". The series is remarkably even in S1 at least, just a bit repetitive in that the crewmates spend much of their time evading detection, which begins to wear thin by season 2.

Still, with the first volume (presumbably eps. 1-13) there is the sadistic girl who teases the crew in a 'toy town' (I still see her giggling and flicking matches), the hobo framed for murder and the giant who makes off with the Spindrift spaceship only to become a hapless victim of quicksand. And of course the aforementioned pilot ("The Crash") which has a mini-movie feel and a superb John(ny) Williams score. Some solid fun here as only Mr. Allen could deliver it.

#27 of 259 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 08:02 AM

Great news! Finally my 2nd favorite Irwin Allen show after VTTBOTS on DVD. Given the current Voyage schedule Season 2. Vol. 2 should be coming in February 2007 so I am guessing LOTG Season 1 Vol. 1 should be out in January 07 if this rumor turns out to be true which I think it will.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#28 of 259 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 09:47 AM

Hey everybody, thanks for sharing this great news about my favorite Irwin Allen TV show LAND OF THE GIANTS. Finally LOTG is coming to DVD, man I am excited, can't wait.

#29 of 259 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 01:34 PM

>>I was so angered at Columbia House over this issue that I'm actually happy they're out of business.
--

Since when? I still recieve emails from them...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#30 of 259 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 06 2006 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_TS
>>I was so angered at Columbia House over this issue that I'm actually happy they're out of business.
--

Since when? I still recieve emails from them...

The Columbia House TV Greats section went belly up. A friend of mine got LotG on DVD before they went under. They didnt advertise it much. I tried to get it but they acted like they didnt have it. But they did. I got Airwolf and some Perry Mason from that part of Columbia House myself.

#31 of 259 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 03:12 AM

Maybe when the first volume of the 2nd season of "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" is released on DVD in a few weeks, the studio will officially announce the DVD release of LAND OF THE GIANTS (Would be great if they even included the upcoming LOTG DVD cover art in a flyer inside the VTTBOTS DVD case). This would be great news for us GIANTS fans.

#32 of 259 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly
Now that the entire LOST IN SPACE series has been released on DVD, as well as the initial seasons of THE TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, when will we see my favorite of all Irwin Allen TV series on DVD - LAND OF THE GIANTS? During the 60's when my buddies were fighting over Mary Ann and Ginger, I spent my boyhood fantasies dreaming about Deanna Lund, who played Valerie in the series.

JOE

On Itunes now for $1.99 each
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#33 of 259 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
On Itunes now for $1.99 each

Ouch!! That will be quite a bit more then the sets coming out and thats not even figuring the quality loss.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#34 of 259 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
Ouch!! That will be quite a bit more then the sets coming out and thats not even figuring the quality loss.

$38.99 for season 1 on Itunes for 25 episodes at 640x480 H264 encoded vds
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#35 of 259 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly
Maybe when the first volume of the 2nd season of "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" is released on DVD in a few weeks, the studio will officially announce the DVD release of LAND OF THE GIANTS (Would be great if they even included the upcoming LOTG DVD cover art in a flyer inside the VTTBOTS DVD case). This would be great news for us GIANTS fans.

Sorry but there is no such leaflet.

#36 of 259 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 02:18 PM

I suppose it's appropriate to view this series on a tiny iPod screen, but I'm ready to see it again on a real TV. Bring it on!

#37 of 259 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 02:46 AM

Unbox Video Downloads of the first 25 episodes of LOTG are now available at Amazon at $1.99 per episode. Link:

http://www.amazon.co....=digital-video

#38 of 259 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 11:29 PM

Hey, I don't get it. Regarding the above post, are these legit authentic LOTG episodes? And if they are not, why are they allowed to be sold on Amazon? No matter either way, I'll wait for the official LOTG season sets release, partial or otherwise. HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

#39 of 259 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 11:19 AM

Fox announced today the DVD release of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea Season 2 Volume 2 on February 20, 2007. Was hoping we would have heard some official LAND OF THE GIANTS DVD release news by now. Has anybody heard anything?
Thanks, Joe Kelly

#40 of 259 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 12:27 AM

Just checking, has anyone heard any more news about the LAND OF THE GIANTS DVD release in 2007? HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow