Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Article: The 15 People You Meet Listening to DVD Audio Commentaries

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:36 AM

The Onion AV Club has a new article lampooning DVD commentaries. Pretty interesting read:

http://www.avclub.co...tent/node/49455

This one got a laugh from me:

Quote:
1. The Irritating Academic

A longtime staple of Criterion Collection DVDs, Irritating Academics typically introduce themselves, then read whole passages from their books on the semiotics of slapstick (or whatever), while only occasionally noting what's happening onscreen. And even when they do sync up with the action, their observations tend to overscrutinize every element of the scene, as in this tidbit from The Lady Eve commentator Marian Keane: "A silent, random person cuts through the frame, carrying a large object. These quick moments of near-surrealism are Preston Sturges' acknowledgements that just outside this frame, there's a movie set." Um… they are?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 07:20 AM

Nice article.

I also feel that The Narrator (#3) and the The Nitpicker (#4) are pretty bad (I mean, I love a good commentary, but these types do more harm than good). But nobody can touch the The Irritating Academic (#1) for pure obnoxiousness. Just try to get through a certain commentary track on Basic Instinct (you know which one) without falling asleep.

I actually like most of the rest of the list.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 16 2006 - 07:22 AM

That article is hysterical -- because it's so true!

I loves my commentaries, but Narrators and Strong Silent Types really irritate me.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,202 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 10:10 AM

Can't believe that, within fifteen choices, not one mentions the most irritating trait (to me) in commentaries: THE MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY, in which director/producer and/or cast are c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y saying things like, "She was just great in this," or "he did a marvelous job," etc. And possibly the most overused and egotistical director comment: "Oh, this is my favorite scene..." (usually repeated a half-dozen times during a given movie).

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 339 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted June 16 2006 - 10:33 AM

My pet peeve is the "You Had To Be There" type of commentary. It usually involves two or more members of the production, with comments like:

"Oh! Remember the day we shot that scene?"

"Oh, yeah! That was funny/crazy/sad/etc.!"

But with no further explanation for the listener as to precisely why it was funny/crazy/sad/etc.

Mark

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:01 AM

No mention of the Confused Commentator who thinks they cannot talk about anything that happens later in the movie so that they do not spoil it.

Because...clearly, no one who listens to commentaries has actually watched the movie. I mean...that saves so much time for me personally! I get the movie and I get the commentary! It's a little different for TV shows I grant, but movies?
- Mark Kalzer

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
I loves my commentaries, but Narrators and Strong Silent Types really irritate me.

Yup - those are probably the biggest complaints I have when I listen to commentaries, along with too much praise for all involved.

BTW, for a perfect example of The Indifferent Cast Member, look no further than Beyond the Valley of the Dolls where John La Zar whines much of the time. Actually, he's not indifferent - he seems actively bitter and angry. He doesn't understand why he's there and gripes about money. He also picks on other cast members in attendance - the guy seems like a capital J JERK!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

Forum Nav Content I Follow