Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best 50" Plasma available today or soon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike JM

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'm looking for a 50" plasma soon. I know that Panasonic came out with a new one, LG, and I think HP a couple months back. Does anyone know which has the best picture? The worst thing about plasma that I've noticed is the shading problems with some blacks. It doesn't make the picture look natural. It's graduated I think is the term?

Please help. I'm looking for something that recently came out or will soon...cause I might as well. and 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio sounds nice.

Thanks.
-Mickael--

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike JM

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 11:46 PM

hmmm. I'm gonna assume that there isn't a model worthy of mentioning yet?
-Mickael--

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 02:14 AM

Panasonic has the best 50 inch plasma right now. There is a TH50PX60U and a TH50PX600U. Either one will give you an excellent picture, the 600 just has more features and costs $500 more. Roughly $3500 for first one mentioned, $4,000 for the one with more features.

That's it in a nutshell.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike JM

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 01:19 AM

Why does it have the best picture? I was watching it at best buy and circuit city. I don't see the difference. Cnet gave it a 7.8. that's a little depressing. I don't think they gave any plasma higher than an 8.1? Tough to spend 4 grand on a 7.something review.
-Mickael--

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike JM

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 24 2006 - 09:31 PM

And now there's these new Pioneers. the 5071HD I think. What's the contrast ratio on that one? can't find it. It's really really expensive though!
-Mickael--

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   BruZZi

BruZZi

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted June 25 2006 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike JM
And now there's these new Pioneers. the 5071HD I think. What's the contrast ratio on that one? can't find it. It's really really expensive though!

4,000:1

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 07:58 AM

What is contrast ratio and is it better for a higher number?

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 07:58 AM

What is contrast ratio and is it better for a higher number?

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   BruZZi

BruZZi

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alvarez
What is contrast ratio...

Contrast Ratio is the difference between the blackest black and whitest white.

Quote:
and is it better for a higher number?

Even though sometimes CR numbers can be tricky, in most cases the higher the CR the better.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 01:10 PM

Unfortunately, contrast ratio specs mean very little. The mfrs can use several different methods for calculating the numbers, and there are no real standards. Some of the methods have very little to do with real-life usage. Wildly overstating the numbers is also very common - I'm sure most of the mfrs *could* produce the test methods they used to get their number, but since they aren't required to do so - they don't.

Personally, I would ignore the spec CR and try to see the blacks and whites using your own eyes. Have the sales rep take the display out of torch mode, and then put on something like Sin City or Underworld: Evolution. Look for the blacks *and* how much definition & detail you see in the shadows. IMHO, a display that gets you very black at the expense of the shadow detail (everything in shadow is just black) isn't a good trade-off. Also look for scenes with bright whites and do the same thing - are the whites a dirty gray? Do you see appropriate detail in the white dress, or is it just a blown-out white spot? I want an all-around good display, not just one that can render one end or the other.

I also want realistic flesh tones and smooth colors - not super over-saturated and over-sharpened like you see when the displays are in torch mode at the stores (especially the Samsungs).

Spending this kind of money is hard, and the mfrs AND stores don't make it any easier! Posted Image

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted July 01 2006 - 05:59 PM

I am by no means an expert, but at the local Best Buy the Pioneers have the most impressive picture amongst the Plasma sets, but theyre also the most expensive.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 04:57 AM

Any more opinions? I'm in the same boat as Mike JM and would love to hear some more comments. What are some of the better models out there now to look at?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   MattJensen

MattJensen

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 06:11 AM

I myself have been looking for a 50" plasma. I think that after reading a bunch of reviews that I am going to go with the Toshiba 50HP66. You might want to check it out and see what you think.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 10:41 AM

I've been reading good things about Panasonic's TH50PX60U and a TH50PX600U as well, need to check them out at BB.

We've had a Vizio 50" for a few months now, awesome picture but the build quality is bad and the menus and settings leave much to be desired. Good extreme value plasma but it is definitely no frills.

I'll look into that Tosh as well, thanks.

Forum Nav Content I Follow