-

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-Ray 5th Element -> Possible Bad Transfer.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#1 of 89 OFFLINE   Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 12:03 AM

Folks, I don't own one yet but reports are popping up all over that the 5th Element for BR used a non-clean master. Apparently dirt, dust and scratches show up. Also, sharpness is not "all that eye popping".

I read this over at AVS and a link at http://bluray.highde...thelement3.html

"However, make no mistake, this is a good-looking picture if you're not too critical. I bet the average consumer who saw this disc up and running at their local Best Buy would probably think it was darn swell. However, I felt there were some deficiencies inherent in the source material itself that keep this one from hitting a homer, or even a solid triple. Though not as noticeable perhaps on the standard DVD releases (even the Superbit), 'The Fifth Element' looks oddly soft in HD, with a lack of detail and three-dimensionality that ranks it as not-quite-demo material in the high-def sweepstakes."

#2 of 89 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 12:15 AM

There have been nothing but bad things said about the 5th element transfer on multiple boards/review sites. Very sad indeed.

#3 of 89 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 12:54 AM

That's ridiculous.

So what's the point of spending $1,000 on a player for quality like this?

#4 of 89 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted June 16 2006 - 01:12 AM

Greetings

You are going to buy it and you are going to like it. Posted Image

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#5 of 89 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 01:24 AM

For those looking to use TFE as a starting point to bash BD, it looks as if other titles aren't having the same problem. From a review of "50 First Dates":
Quote:
The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

Now, this is more like it. '50 First Dates' is only the second Blu-ray title I reviewed following the somewhat underwhelming 'The Fifth Element,' and I wanted to do a complete 180 in terms of movie genre and style. Happily, this transfer proves that the Blu-ray format can deliver a picture as good as anything I've seen yet on HD DVD. Granted, this is not perfect demo material and is not consistently great, but in spots, it really holds its own with the best high-definition transfers out there.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#6 of 89 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 01:58 AM

Well, it looks like THE 5TH ELEMENT will no longer be the reference disc for the High Def area.

#7 of 89 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:09 AM

The "bash BD" aspect is irrelevant to me. What is relevant, though, is that Sony did a poor job with this title. In the hidef era, people have every right to demand higher quality than this. I have no use for "give them a break, because we have to support the format" sentiment (which I see hints of in some places).

#8 of 89 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
The "bash BD" aspect is irrelevant to me. What is relevant, though, is that Sony did a poor job with this title. In the hidef era, people have every right to demand higher quality than this. I have no use for "give them a break, because we have to support the format" sentiment (which I see hints of in some places).
Hmmm...methinks you doth protest too much. I have a problem with TFE looking crappy. I pointed it out in my discussion of the demo. It's as bad, if not worse than the bad deinterlacing on Warner HD DVDs.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#9 of 89 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
I have a problem with TFE looking crappy.
Sounds like we don't really disagree. Posted Image

#10 of 89 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:34 AM

Is it that it truly looks bad or that HD is able to show all the blemishes that SD couldn't? Too bad we can't compare it with an HD-DVD release Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 89 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:40 AM

Quote:
Is it that it truly looks bad or that HD is able to show all the blemishes that SD couldn't?
Other BD titles are said to look better (such as Terminator). It's not just a matter of blemishes (although it's bothersome that Sony didn't use a clean print). The title just doesn't look that sharp. Hey, if it's not well done, it's not well done. The same goes for the HD titles with the interlacing problem.

#12 of 89 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Is it that it truly looks bad or that HD is able to show all the blemishes that SD couldn't? Too bad we can't compare it with an HD-DVD release Posted Image
Not having it in front of me, I can't say. It looks to be a little of both. The clips of TFE that I saw at the demo looked really soft, while everything else looked fantastic. The impromptu reviews on AVS mention a lot of print damage, as well as a softer picture. It's possible that they introduced the latter to hide the former.

#13 of 89 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for informing us that The Fifth Element looks crappy. My situation is that I don't know when I will buy a BD player but I promised myself I will buy a BD disc the first week they are released. I was considering getting the Fifth Element due to previous superior quality transfers on DVD but now I will not get it. I will probably get Underworld: Evolution.

One other title that I will surely get, will be Terminator 2. Actually Terminator 2 was the very first DVD I bought and it was one of the first (if not the first, don't remember) dual-layer DVD. I guess it has some kind of nostalgic value!

Anyway, I'm amazed by Terminator 2's history in relation to Home Cinema. It seems it has been the leading title that showcases new formats. They release it real fast at the beginning without waiting and wasting much time. First it was on DVD, then WMV HD and now blu-ray. I can't wait to try the next format with T2!

#14 of 89 OFFLINE   Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 03:09 AM

Follow-up - Although reports of 5th Element lookin sub-par, The Terminator apparently is just amzingly stunning. So there is hope.

#15 of 89 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 03:16 AM

Quote:
The Terminator apparently is just amzingly stunning.
Exactly, which makes what happened with 5thE that much less excusable.

#16 of 89 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 03:18 AM

Hopefully Robert Crawford can shed some light on this when he receives his new BD player.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#17 of 89 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:28 AM

Not only is The Fifth Element Blu-Ray probably taken off an older HD telecine from a damaged print and using MPEG-2 at lower than needed bitrates, but you must also remember that the Samsung doesn't output pure 1080p... it's reconstituted and may be giving only 540p in actuality.

The Pioneer and Sony players are supposedly based off of Sigma's new decoder that has options for 1080p native output.

Let's wait and see before making snap judgments

#18 of 89 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:50 AM

what I'm curious about is what looks better Fifth Element Blue-Ray or Fifth Element Superbit upconverted to 1080i

all-banner.jpg

#19 of 89 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 06:20 AM

From what I've read, the Blu-Ray version is slightly sharper than the Superbit, but not WOW, THIS IS LIKE FREAKIN' NIGHT AND DAY!!! in comparison. It's just a lousy transfer and a typical Sony screw up.

The audio, OTOH is uncompressed PCM (though only at CD quality) and is considered better than the DTS and Dolby Digital lossy compressed tracks from previous SuperBit releases.

If you love the movie be assured that Sony will remaster this title to milk it down the road. They love to quad-dip on every title imaginable.

Dan

#20 of 89 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 06:47 AM

It's funny that TFE was always considered to be a reference quality disk in SD. Alot of Calibrators I know use it to this day. Then it comes to Next gen and sucks.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow