Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Coffee: Intermediate to Advanced

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 of 195 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 15 2013 - 05:11 AM

Sam-

My wife is considering a Jura C5. Do you have any opinion or thoughts? I figured someone in the extreme coffee thread would know

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#142 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 15 2013 - 05:23 AM

Never even heard of that one, the Breville was out of my price range and I had to reach for it, so anything more exotic didn't even hit my radar.  Lemme google it real fast...

EDIT:  Ok, looks like one of those 'fully automatic' jobs.  That wasn't really what I wanted, I wanted something I could tune to my needs and also had the milk frothing wand.  I bet it is really easy to use tho!

Carlo, thansk for your impressions.  I'm out of my last batch of Rook so looking forward to trying both of the Klatches I've got on order.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#143 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 07:30 AM

Sam - just made my first latte with Augie's. Cleaned and vacuumed out my grinder to get as much of the old grind as I could out, and to my amazement the grind didn't even need to be adjusted from the Intelly beans. First double shot came out with much less channeling (like the Vivace) so now I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with Intelly beans? I love the taste of Intelly but can't for the life of me stop the channeling no matter how much I fiddle with the grind fineness, dosage amount, and tamp pressure. Vivace and Augie's? Very little channeling and easy to dial in. If I didn't love Intelly so much...

Didn't put any sugar in, so this is a straight Augie's latte with 2oz espresso and about 5oz steamed 2% milk. Delicious taste. Very smooth like the Intelly, not as bold and intense as the Vivace (which were also the darkest and oiliest beans I've ever used). Very much like the taste in my latte. Either this afternoon or tomorrow I'll try it with my TCHO chocolate and see what kind of a mocha it makes. The Vivace did not play too nice with the chocolate, whereas the Intelly beans do, so I'm really looking forward to my next mocha.

Some time this weekend I'll switch over to the Klatch. I started with Augie's because their roast date was 4/8 whereas Klatch was 4/11 so I have a few more days of freshness with the Klatch.

#144 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:30 AM

Cool stuff, enjoy!

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#145 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 05:38 PM

Ugh - I feel a little shallow posting this given the horrific events I've been following on TV. My deepest sympathies to our brothers and sisters in Boston. But I think I need to take a little break from reality so I'll post my mocha latte experience which I just brewed up using my previously described TCHO drinking chocolate base:

The Augie's in-house roast is an excellent standalone and mocha-mixed espresso. Between Augie's and Intelly I think it's a toss up as my favorite. Can't wait to try Klatch later this week.

#146 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 06:03 AM

Tried two of the Worlds Best so far, it's got more crema than my Rooks have had but I think I like the Rook's Flores taste better.

But holy crap, I had one at 8PM last night and couldn't sleep till 2am!

#147 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 06:31 AM

Rookie! I do a double shot and go straight to bed!  :lol:

I'll have to try Rook's. Your experience sounds like the same one I had when I tried Vivace over Intelly a month or so ago. The crema was richer, the flow was better (no channeling), the result looked more visually pleasing than the Intelly pours...but when it came time to taste it I preferred the Intelly. I'm hoping the Klatch WB doesn't do the same thing.

#148 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:20 AM

Was ready to write Klatch off.  No matter what I did with the World's Best I couldn't get anything that wasn't totally bitter and acidy.  Not my style at all.  Just a quarter of the way through the bag I took the remains out of the hopper, cleaned the grinder of the grit and put in their daily Espresso.

OMG is it good.  TONS of effervescent crema and a bold but delicious taste.  And more powerful caffeine than I have ever had.  I mean an all-day buzz from my morning double shot. 

I would say it's even better than the Las Flores from Rook.

Was going to just trash the rest of the World's Best but if you wanted I could ship it to you to try instead Carlo if you aren't put off by that and now that it's a week older....

#149 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the kind offer, Sam, but I overbought on my last trip and still haven't opened my WBC  :blink:

Now I'm a little less amped for it given your experience. If I dislike it I may just stick with either Augie's or Intelly's blend. Or next time I'm out in Upland I'll try Klatch's daily espresso or their single-origin which was good when I had it in their store, but I think is a limited-production deal.

#150 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:40 AM

No sweat.   Will recycle it.  BTW Do you just trash your pucks or do you take em somewhere?

#151 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 08:20 AM

Wow, I never even thought of that! I admit I just trash them but now I'm worried if I'm harming the environment? I mean, they are organic, coffee beans I assume fall to the ground and decompose just like regular organic material, so I can't imagine grinding them and the running hot water through them makes them unfriendly to the environment.  :unsure:

#152 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:13 PM

I know starbucks collects used beans for farming purposes, I think it's GOOD for growth not bad in some cases.  Will have to research it more.

#153 of 195 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:09 PM

On occasion I've seen local Starbucks put the packaged, used grounds out for customers to take.  Apparently you can put them in your yard for composting or something like that.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#154 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:30 PM

Ah for composting - that makes perfect sense. At least I don't feel bad like I'm dumping plastic in landfills or anything like that when I'm dumping my coffee grinds.

#155 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 04:17 PM

Sam - tried my first WBC. Admittedly grind/dose needs a bit of dialing in, but my first shot wasn't too bad (2oz in about 18 seconds, a little fast for my taste). Tried a latte without adding sugar and found it to be a decent cup. Still prefer Intelly and Augie's to it, but not bad. Added a demitasse teaspoon of sugar in the raw and boy did that do the trick! Wonder what this will taste like with my mocha, because WBC seems to play really well with sugar (something that each coffee does a little differently).

Looking forward to tomorrow morning's latte. 

#156 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just got to the bottom of the cup - wow! A little bit of sugar really brings out a chocolatey/molasses undertone to the WBC that I really, really like. Now I'm not sure I'm going to make a mocha tomorrow morning. I'll probably just brew this up with a small amount of sugar in the raw and call it a day!  :D

#157 of 195 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,846 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 04:41 AM

What do you guys think of this subscription service?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#158 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:04 AM

Ron, I'd go with Tonx if you are looking for subscription.  I don't drink enough that I can justify one myself but it gets great reviews from those who do.

#159 of 195 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted May 27 2013 - 08:19 AM

All right Sam, I just got back from visiting my friend in Highland again. Picked up 12oz of Augie's (since I knew I loved it). And 12oz of House Espresso from Klatch. I think this is the one you liked more than their WBC blend. And the barista there says he prefers it as well. Just finishing up some Victrola coffee from Seattle that a friend bought for me (delicious as well) but will probably try the house espresso from Klatch before Augie's.

Normally I wouldn't buy 2 12-oz packages at the same time (don't want the bean to age too much) but I'm so rarely out that direction (Klatch is 55 miles away, Augie's is 85) that when I go I feel obligated to buy both.

#160 of 195 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts

Posted May 27 2013 - 08:16 PM

Don't get a headache but have fun playing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users