Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Cincinnati Reds 1975 World Series Collector's Edition" -- A Personal Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 05:41 PM

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 08:37 PM

A "Which Forum Is Best For This Particular Item?" note.........

I was in a bit of a quandary as to which HTF Forum to post this thread in. It could technically go in the "TV Software" area of HTF too (since all of the video on these 7 discs is derived from "TV" footage)....but I decided (after an agonizing session of incessant coin-flipping, which numbered into the hundreds of total 'flips' Posted Image) that its more-proper locality was in the "Films & Documentary" arena.

The official definition of the Forums helped me decide as well (plus sixteen more coin flips to boot). The Film/Docu. section definition says......

"All things DVD are discussed here (with the exception of TV Shows on DVD)..."

Please don't tell Pete Rose I was gambling with those coin flips. He might not approve of such tactics. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

(Sorry, Pete...that was cruel. Posted Image)

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 05:43 AM

As always, that's another outstanding DVD review, David. I was almost 9 when this Series took place, and I watched most of the games on TV. I can't remember now if I saw Fisk's 12th-inning homer live or if my first memory of it was from a news clip soon afterward. That would have been kind of late for me to be staying up, at that time. That Series made me a serious baseball fan, especially of playoff/Series games, and I was glued to the set for practically every postseason game from that point until well into my college years. Plus, the '75-'76 Reds were the first (and maybe the last) teams for which I could name every starting position player, and I wasn't even from Cincy. The growth of free agency has made this task nearly impossible for any team today. Those baseball cards bring back memories too. Aren't some of those from the set that Topps issued in the normal size and a harder-to-find smaller size? I do remember a pregame feature on either a '75 or '76 Series broadcast involving a bubble-gum bubble-blowing contest. I recall Johnny Bench blowing a bubble that was bigger than his head. Is that on this '75 set?

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 09:46 AM

David, despite what you say this thread belongs in the HT Software/TV Shows section. These games -- and how I remember them, whoa! -- were broadcast on television. (Man, that sixth game ...)

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well, as I also said, I was in a quandary about which of the two forums to utilize in this instance. Guess I picked the wrong one, despite this specific instruction on the Film DVD Forum:

"All things DVD are discussed here (with the exception of TV Shows on DVD)..."

But....I guess a baseball game can, indeed, be considered a "TV Show". Posted Image

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 12:54 PM

No. Nothing like that is on the '75 set that I saw. That contest does sound familiar however. Although I would have guessed it was from a regular-season game, instead of putting that on a post-season game.

The Reds did a lot of cool things for the fans at Riverfront in those days -- e.g., "Autograph Booths" (I have several of those cards with player sigs on them); plus you could arrive early at the stadium and get a voucher to have your picture taken with a Reds' player. I did that twice; with Jack Billingham in 1972 and reserve outfielder Larry Stahl in 1973 -- "Larry who?" did you ask?? LOL. Don't blame you; he wasn't around long; an ex-Padre too. Posted Image

Riverfront also did "Teen Nights" (teens could buy tickets for, get this, fifty cents! Posted Image). And "Camera Days", where you got to go on the field and take pics of the players. And, of course, "Fan Appreciation Day" on the last day of the season, which had fans winning lots of prizes. I never won though, despite attending a couple of those.

I think, though, that "Poster Day" might have been my favorite Riverfront/Cincinnati promotion. I can recall the great (full-sized) Johnny Bench poster I got for free...showing John's swing as he hit Dave Giusti's misplaced change-up beyond the right-field fence to tie up Game 5 of the 1972 NLCS at Riverfront.

You can listen to that great Reds' moment (via Al Michaels' radio call) all you want by simply refreshing the home page at J.B.'s website...here:

The Official Website of Johnny Bench - MLB Hall of Fame Catcher - JohnnyBench.com

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,353 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 12 2006 - 01:44 PM

Posted Image

I would LOVE to see this set! To relive those two teams--and great ones they both were--and be able to compare batter-by-batter how these teams compare to some of the better teams of recent vintage will be a fun task! Personally, I would welcome the opportunity to get a chance to see bleepin' Joe Morgan back on the field. I never remember being particularly impressed with Morgan as a player...but if you listen to him talk he thinks quite highly of his on-the-field performance.

Of course I was just 16 years old when I remember staying up VERY late to watch Game 6 all the way through to the end and watch Fisk "will" the ball fair. Of course, being a diehard Red Sox fan...we already knew it was all just a set-up to allow for a game seven loss. Posted Image Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Mike. And thanks Dan, too.

Well, Mike, you don't win back-to-back MVP awards by being a Mario Mendoza. Of course it helped that Rose and Griffey preceded him in the lineup every day, enabling his giant 111-RBI total in '76. Posted Image

But I'd certainly rather WATCH Little Joe in action on the field than LISTEN to him in the TV booth. I still cannot fathom how on this Earth Joe has managed to keep his job as a color commentator all these many (many) years behind the mike. He is (IMHO), without doubt, one of the worst baseball broadcasters I have ever heard.

Others might disagree (as is their right), but Joe is stiff as cardboard in the booth, and over-analyzes every single thing occurring on the diamond. I think he'd telestrate the hot-dog vendor's movements if he was given half a chance -- i.e.: "Jon {Miller}, you can see here that the vendor's positioning for accepting that $2.90 from the patron was NOT what you'd expect to see from a veteran vendor here at Wrigley Field. He was off-balance, and hence dropped two quarters, causing considerable mental anguish to him and his two sick, starving infants being fed through tubes at his rat-infested home on the North Side. Let's now look at that again on the JumboTron, Jon...." Posted Image

Sorry, Joe. You sure could flap that "wing" though while making N.L. hurlers miserable. Posted Image

Gee, I've now insulted two of my favorite Reds' players in this thread -- Pete and Little Joe. I'll never get their autographs now. (Oops...I already got Joe's; in '72.) Posted Image

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,353 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 12 2006 - 02:29 PM

Now, David...let the record reflect that I'm not the one who compared the Mighty Morgan to Mario Mendoza...BUT...if you consider that Morgan's lifetime BA is just 71 points above the Mendoza line...Posted Image

He also only hit .300 in those two MVP campaigns of '75 & '76. But I think I'm marching solidly off-topic. I envy you watching those games again. Posted Image

Maybe Morgan's numbers would've been better with more time at Crosley Field! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 03:03 PM

True. But he hit .290 or better in the 3 seasons preceding those MVP years, to boot. Posted Image

Plus....It's not just Joe's data at the dish to be weighed when speaking of Lil' Joseph....his great fielding and base-stealing prowess must also be examined and weighed as well. Plus his general leadership skills between the white lines, as well as in the clubhouse.

The Reds, in fact, had so MANY "leaders", it must have been difficult for one to stand out above the others in those 70s heydays. .... Perez ("Mr. Consistency"), Bench ("The Little General"), Rose ("Charlie Hustle"), and to a lesser degree Foster ("Yahtzee").

Speaking of nicknames, the Foster nickname reminded me of something.....Anybody ever own a game called the "APBA MLB Game"? It consisted of cards for every ML player, and you could build a really accurate profile of teams and complete seasons with this game.

Anyway, the APBA card for George Foster listed his nickname as "Fearless Fos", which always struck me as humorous for some reason, because I've never heard that anywhere except in that game.

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,353 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 12 2006 - 03:18 PM

Don't know the game. Strat-O-Matic was the game of choice in my neighborhood. Never heard of "Fearless Fos" either. Sounds like a rip of Dick Tracy's "Fearless Fosdick".

What was Armbrister's nickname? George "Oops, am I in your way?" Armbrister?!Posted Image

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 03:27 PM

Dan.......

You are exactly correct.

I've been in touch with a fan who's "in the know" re. all things "vintage" like this, and he tells me that such a bubble-gum contest did take place prior to Game 3 of the '75 WS at Cincy....with the Brewers' Kurt Bevacqua (a former Red btw) taking first prize, edging out Johnny Oates.*

* = The above DVP clarification brought to you by "Schoenling Lager Beer", a Cincinnati staple since God only knows what year. Posted Image

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 03:28 PM

Possibly...but "Ed" Armbrister might be offended at being called "George". Posted Image Posted Image

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   DeanR

DeanR

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 03:55 PM

I was in the joint for game 7, I can't believe were the time went. My dad bought 2 standing room tickets ($6 each) for $75 from a scalper out front of the ballpark 10 minutes or so before the game. I am looking at the ticket stubs as I write this. I would not be surprised if there were over 40,000 people in Fenway Park that night (seating at the time was about 35,000). Every fire code in the book must have been broken that night if there even were fire codes at the time at Fenway. It was a mass of humanity with standing room people standing shoulder to shoulder where we were in the right field grandstand. People were sitting on the stairs between sections. All I have to say is the Sox should have won. If Jim Rice had played they would have done it. When Johnson removed Willoughby and brought in a rookie Jim Burton we knew the Sox were toast. What a great series! Like you David VP I can always say I attended a game in the greatest World Series ever. Excellent review, this however will be a rental only. On a side note, may every copy of the 1986 set have DVD Rot Posted Image .

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

(Maybe I shouldn't press my luck and ask what Dean thinks of the N.Y. Yankees. The response might make a sailor blush.) Posted Image Posted Image

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 04:27 PM

Great memories, guys. The 1975 Series was the first I ever followed as a kid, and remember much of it vividly, as if it were just yesterday. These A&E World Series sets seem like a great deal. I would love to have full broadcasts of the classic series on DVD. I believe they have only issued the 1975, 1979, 1986, 2004, and 2005 series as full sets. I really hope they will get around to doing more - the 1980, 1983 and 1993 series in particular interest me since I'm a Phillies fan. I hope these sell well enough to encourage A&E/MLB to do more. Those baseball card scans are a lot of fun to see, David. Much like yourself, I had great memories of collecting those very same Topps cards as a kid. Out of sheer nostalgia, about five years ago I got into collecting those same Topps card sets again and (via Ebay) managed to eventually obtain/put together the complete sets from 1973 all the way through 2000. But the ones from the early/mid-1970's (as you scanned in) are my favorites. It was great fun recollecting them, albeit a bit expensive. For me (and I guess to a lot of you other guys) the 1970's will always be the "golden age" of baseball.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hi Roy. Thanks for your post.

Since you're a Phillies' fan, you might be interested in this DVD set (if you're not aware of it already), which has some complete Phils' NLCS/WS games on it. .......

http://www.hartsharp....nniversary.php

http://shop.mlb.com/....entPage=family

http://shop.mlb.com/....776&cp=1452362

Posted Image

I agree with you, though...I, too, hope MLB/A&E releases more vintage "Complete" WS sets. And, I'm quite confident they will. After all, these A&E full-WS sets are really brand-new (for the most part). So they're probably just starting.

Although we fans of the older "vintage" 60s/70s World Series must also consider the fact that many of those older games are simply not available in the MLB archives. Some selected games can be plucked from the hard-core "collector's" market I think, but lots of the older games, I fear, are lost forever. Which is a shame indeed.

However, I would settle for a few "incomplete" sets of some of the World Series, if that's all there is.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,353 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 12 2006 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image How appropriate!

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yes indeedy.
That Davey Concepcion card I linked above really brings back the memories. That's a 1972 Topps card. That was before I sent away for full-season sets in the mail. Which meant doing the next best thing...i.e., traipsing to the 5-&-Dime to buy individual packs of 10 (15 maybe?) cards and hope for a "new" one...instead of six more "John Boccabellas" or "Denny Riddlebergers". Posted Image (Not that John Bocc-a-bellllla, as the Montreal announcer used to drone out, was a bad player or anything; he was a good ML catcher back in the day.) Posted Image

But when you need the "Johnny Bench In Action" card....

http://www.zeprock.com/Ben5.jpg

....and you end up with a "Leron Lee", a "Larry Biittner" (a future Cincinnati Red, however), and a "Winston Llenas", it can be disappointing to a young-un.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 05:33 PM

Now this is really weird......

Why did Topps issue a 1972 card of Joe Morgan as an Astro; but one with Lee May the same year as an Astro too? They were traded on the same day, for each other, in Nov. '71. Strange. But kinda cool too. Posted Image

And remember how they would "paint" over the since-traded player's helmet or cap to make it look like the player was really wearing his new team's uniform & hat?

You can't fool me with such photoshopping. Look at Lee May's helmet. It's a Reds' helmet, with a cockeyed Houston "star" logo painted in. Oh, the humanities! Posted Image .......

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users