-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any Good Movies out of Scottland?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 07:54 AM

Just curious..

We got my grandparents my old DVD/VCR player last month, and they hardly use the thing. Since my grandfather is more housebound now, I thought it would be a fun way to pass the time rather than doing puzzles all day..

Anyone know of any good Scottland Documentaries on DVD, or movies out of the country that don't look like they where produced by a mini cam? Posted Image

Thanks!

#2 of 8 Stephen_L

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 08:24 AM

I highly recommend the early films of Bill Forsythe, a Scottish director who eventually came to Hollywood and lost a lot of his quirky, funny edge. His most well known film is "Local Hero", an excellent comedy about a huge oil companies efforts to buy a Scottish village, raze it and build an oil refinery on it. It turns all the underdog cliches on their heads and features great performances from Peter Reigert and Burt Lancaster. Nearly as good are Gregory's Girl and Comfort and Joy.
"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

#3 of 8 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 05:10 PM

Quote:
Any Good Movies out of Scottland?

None whatsoever.

There's some great Scottish films out of Scotland though Posted Image

Trainspotting is the quintessential modern day Scottish film, however I don't think it's quite what you're looking for - it sounds like you want a more picture postcard view, rather than the grittiness of urban Scotland in Trainspotting & "Sweet Sixteen" or "My Name is Joe". As Stephen mentioned, "Local Hero" is picturesque but still fun, as are other Scottish films of the time like "Restless Natives" & "Comfort & Joy". "Gregory's Girl" is my favourite of that group, but it's very 'small town' West Scotland, and not sure how well it'd translate. "Dear Frankie" is worth a watch, set in a small seaside town.

An older Scottish movie worth tracking down is "Whisky Galore".

No idea about Scottish documentaries on DVD/VHS, I watch mine via the BBC Posted Image
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#4 of 8 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 11:13 PM

However I don't think it's quite what you're looking for ->>>

Nope Posted Image. Keep in mind this is an 86 year old guy who's idea of a good action movie is probably dated, like King Kong Posted Image. Trainspotting might just confuse him, heh.

#5 of 8 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 12:39 AM

39 steps, perhaps?

#6 of 8 Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 07:59 PM

Michael Powell was very fond of Scotland. The Edge of the World is certainly one of his finest movies.

Or, The Wicker Man was shot here, Tunes of Glory is marvellous(Criterion DVD is rather nice), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and a cheerfully entertaining black comedy called Orphans. (Which I do not recommend for an 84 year old man)

As for documentary - I saw an excellent documentary by Stuart Grieg, at the Edinburgh Film Festival about the trials involved in the Scottish Parliament's construction. The Holyrood Files I'm not sure if it's on DVD, but was recently broadcast on television.

#7 of 8 parin_patel

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 06:07 PM

Shallow Grave - another Danny Boyle film - great Hitchcockian thriller.

#8 of 8 parin_patel

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 06:05 PM

Shallow Grave - another Danny Boyle film - great Hitchcockian thriller.