What's new

Any Good Movies out of Scottland? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just curious..

We got my grandparents my old DVD/VCR player last month, and they hardly use the thing. Since my grandfather is more housebound now, I thought it would be a fun way to pass the time rather than doing puzzles all day..

Anyone know of any good Scottland Documentaries on DVD, or movies out of the country that don't look like they where produced by a mini cam? :)

Thanks!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend the early films of Bill Forsythe, a Scottish director who eventually came to Hollywood and lost a lot of his quirky, funny edge. His most well known film is "Local Hero", an excellent comedy about a huge oil companies efforts to buy a Scottish village, raze it and build an oil refinery on it. It turns all the underdog cliches on their heads and features great performances from Peter Reigert and Burt Lancaster. Nearly as good are Gregory's Girl and Comfort and Joy.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

None whatsoever.

There's some great Scottish films out of Scotland though ;)

Trainspotting is the quintessential modern day Scottish film, however I don't think it's quite what you're looking for - it sounds like you want a more picture postcard view, rather than the grittiness of urban Scotland in Trainspotting & "Sweet Sixteen" or "My Name is Joe". As Stephen mentioned, "Local Hero" is picturesque but still fun, as are other Scottish films of the time like "Restless Natives" & "Comfort & Joy". "Gregory's Girl" is my favourite of that group, but it's very 'small town' West Scotland, and not sure how well it'd translate. "Dear Frankie" is worth a watch, set in a small seaside town.

An older Scottish movie worth tracking down is "Whisky Galore".

No idea about Scottish documentaries on DVD/VHS, I watch mine via the BBC :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
However I don't think it's quite what you're looking for ->>>

Nope :). Keep in mind this is an 86 year old guy who's idea of a good action movie is probably dated, like King Kong :). Trainspotting might just confuse him, heh.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Michael Powell was very fond of Scotland. The Edge of the World is certainly one of his finest movies.

Or, The Wicker Man was shot here, Tunes of Glory is marvellous(Criterion DVD is rather nice), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and a cheerfully entertaining black comedy called Orphans. (Which I do not recommend for an 84 year old man)

As for documentary - I saw an excellent documentary by Stuart Grieg, at the Edinburgh Film Festival about the trials involved in the Scottish Parliament's construction. The Holyrood Files I'm not sure if it's on DVD, but was recently broadcast on television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks