-

Photo
- - - - -

Moved from Mpls. to Houston - UPDATE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Scott Wong

Scott Wong

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 09:56 AM

I guess to those that care and helped me out with the previous thread I created a couple of weeks ago... thanks. We got our 22' Penske moving truck on Monday, June 5th and it was great! The truck literally had just 1,000 miles on it and it was awesome to drive. A bit overwhelming and stressful at times during the more congested areas... but otherwise, a very nice trip. The only negative issue I could probably say about the truck was that there was a governor on the speedometer that regulated it to 70 mph... and driving through parts of Oklahoma I know on I-45 the speed limit was 75 mph... so it was kinda lame. But I s'pose they do that for safety reasons... *shrug*

My wife and I (and my 10 exotic pets... nine tarantulas and a juvenile "ghost morph" cornsnake) started our journey at 4 a.m. on Wed., June 7th... we made it all of the way to Durant, Oklahoma our first night and pulled in to a Days Inn around 7:30 p.m. It sucked... but we got a good night's rest. As far as scenery on the way down there, I was impressed. The southern edge of Missouri was very beautiful as were parts of Oklahoma and the northern tip of Texas.

We got down to Houston around 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 8th.

TEMP: OK. Ummm... yeah. It's very hot here and I know the worst is yet to come. I'm not at all prepared and even now, I can only try and get acclimated to it. It is insane. Even on the hottest day in Minnesota during July or August.... I can't remember it ever being as bad as it has been these last 2-3 days here in Houston... and I know this is nothing. ugh. I can only hope that my blood thins out and I get used to this heat. It isn't like I'm overweight or even out of shape... and being outside just literally takes my breath away... similar to a day in February in Minnesota when it's 30 degrees below zero.

TRAFFIC: I've not yet even been out and about during "rush hour"... so I've not yet experienced a morning or afternoon commute. My wife and I borrowed the in-laws car and went to Target this morning around 10 a.m. and it seemed fine. *shrug*

AREA: We're currently staying with my in-laws for the next several months 'til we can get established here in Texas. They live off Perry Road... Mills Road... somewhere around there. It's a nice area. We went up to The Woodlands yesterday and we're definitely gonna grab an apartment in that neck of the woods. It reminded me very much of the area we used to live in Minnesota and I liked it a lot. Since we've only been here for two days, obviously we've not done a whole lot of exploring especially since we don't have a vehicle. We're taking next week off to do some serious exploring... museums, Galveston, the Galleria, art exhibits and explore every nook and cranny of The Woodlands to better familiarize ourselves with it. Suggestions at this time are welcome if you know of a place we should explore... also, good restaurant suggestions are a plus. I know a few of you guys mentioned a couple of places in my last thread so I'll go back and dig for those.

** I know I mentioned in my last thread that my wife and I are going to be helping her parents with their businesses down here. My mother-in-law owns a small coffee shop in Houston and I made the suggestion to enable customers to establish a Wi-Fi Connection... i.e., the typical Starbucks mentality... drink coffee and surf the 'Net. Do any of you guys know how that can be done or what steps need to be taken?? I'm no computer guru but I know enough, I suppose. Or perhaps I should just ask that question in the computer area of the forum. Any help on that would be very much appreciated.

Also, it'd be cool to here from you locals who live in Houston or Texas, in general.

Posted Image

#2 of 14 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 02:25 PM

Yes, please ask in the HTPC/Computuer area regarding Wi-Fi.

I've face that heat, and the heat won, I didn't last more than a week in Houston during the summer (well, I was just visiting, but I doubt I could last any longer than my week-long stay).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 14 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 04:38 PM

Scott,
Wait until August if you are already hating the heat. Usually it's the worst month.

Glad you made it safe. It's not an easy trip.

#4 of 14 todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted June 10 2006 - 05:53 PM

WELCOME to the subtropics, bring any snow? Posted Image It is bad like this until late September or early October. But your luck might change and you could get to experience a hurricane....maybe not. Welcome to the south!
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#5 of 14 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
I've face that heat, and the heat won, I didn't last more than a week in Houston during the summer (well, I was just visiting, but I doubt I could last any longer than my week-long stay).

Take that from a guy from the cold climes of the Atlanta area.

Good luck with everything.

#6 of 14 DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 01:19 AM

I had always though West Tenn. was hot and muggy, but a short term job in Houston changed my mind. My Brother lived in the Woodlands for a short time after he retired and I found it a wonderful place to visit. Of course, I wasn't the one fighting the traffic everyday!!!
Anyway, good luck with the re-location. Moving from Minneapolis, I would think the hardest thing for yall would be the language difference...... us southern folk sometimes talk a little funny, or is it the o ther way around???. When my office was in Detroit, I had a wonderful time when I was there..... all the secretaries wanted to have luch with me to hear me read the menu!!!!
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#7 of 14 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
I would think the hardest thing for yall would be the language difference...... us southern folk sometimes talk a little funny, or is it the o ther way around???
Some minnesotanss have a very unmistakable accent. Minnasoooooooota Posted Image

#8 of 14 Joe RZ

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 07:51 AM

Yeah get ready for the heat.Yesterday it was 100 degrees where I'm at 2 hours north of Houston.

#9 of 14 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 12:23 PM

I moved from MN and Oregon to Mississippi and I will never get used to the heat. Even at 7 AM it is way too hot, in MN it gradually heats up but not here in the south, hot from the start of the day.

The best bet when you have to do physical activity is to wake up very early and do the work until about 9 or 10 and then stop.

#10 of 14 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 12:37 AM

Scott,
Did the rain cool things off?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 14 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,879 posts

Posted June 20 2006 - 03:07 AM

I heard Houston got hammered with flooding rain this weekend. Hope all of our Houston residents are ok.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 14 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,485 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 21 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, we had a bad rain event on Monday. Worst since TS Alison in 2001. When these things happen there's always one or two areas that for some reason get hammered harder, and this time it was the area around Hobby Airport in the south of town.

So Scott, what did you think of your first Houston torrential rain?? Ready to pack up & leave yet?? Posted Image

BTW - Welcome to Houston!!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 14 Scott Wong

Scott Wong

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted June 22 2006 - 09:31 AM

The rain this past weekend shocked me... I had no idea it was like that. Like I mentioned before, we're staying with my in-laws who live off FM1960... ummm... Tomball Pkwy. or something like that... anyway, our area didn't see any flooding that I was aware of anyway...? But yeah... the rain here is weird. Weird weather patterns... Minnesota is fairly sporadic but not like this. Like this morning... perfectly nice morning... hot weather... and out of the blue, a complete monsoon-like downpour... lasted 10 minutes.... and then it stopped and the pavement dried in five minutes so you couldn't even tell that it rained. Then I went outside and couldn't breathe...Hahaha.

Umm... yeah... so I'm not looking forward to July or August.... but I guess I'll learn to adapt or deal with it. I can't say I'll get used to it... because honestly, how do you "get used to" 95 degrees with 95% humidity? Posted Image

Otherwise, I'm enjoying Houston... Posted Image

#14 of 14 Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 06:59 AM

Hi Scott, welcome to town!

That downpour was a nice demo for summer in Houston. From now to September here's the weather forcast: Hi 98, low 75, 30% chance of isolated showers. What you probably aren't aware of is that 30% doesn't mean the same as it does in other places. No, it doesn't mean that, given the same conditions, it will rain 30 times out of 100. It means that 30% of the Houston metro area will be hosed by a sudden storm sometime that day.

Houston is completey flat, so you can see weather a long way off. Frequently you can be standing in the middle of good weather and see several downpours happening 10 - 25 miles away at different compass points.

And you never really get used to the heat and humidity. You learn to cope by sharking through parking lots until a spot opens near the front, and always having a throw-down shirt at work. You come to believe that a new car covered in bird crap from parking under trees is preferable to burning your hands on the steering wheel and stick. You learn that air conditioning is as basic a need as running water. You learn that your home's fireplace is just another cubby hole to store things in. You buy a lot of fans. Big fans, small fans, fans in every room.

And now that hurricane season has started, you'll find that the weather off the coast of Venezuela and Mexico somehow becomes pretty darn important.

It'll take a little while to adjust. Seriously, for this summer try to avoid anything strenuous in the heat of the day. Heatstroke is a very real concern and you should get used to heavy labor in the cooler hours first.

So, after all that doom and gloom, welcome to Houston anyway!

Andy

Forum Nav Content I Follow