What's new

Bob Newhart Show Season 4 is Set (1 Viewer)

GaryA

Auditioning
Looking forward to this...does anyone know if it's possible that with the final Season 6 set, they could include the final "Newhart" episode and the followup special "The Bob Newhart Show 24th Anniversary Show" which is basically like the last regular episode of the show, with all the actors in character, following directly on from the "Newhart" finale? THese would be great additions to the final DVD set.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
If I recall correctly, that '24th Anniversary Show' was awful. I'd hope they wouldnt include it because it would ruin the legacy of the original run.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I've heard differently, so I'd like it included so I can judge for myself. If it's really that bad, no one has to watch it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Bob Newhart Show is the best value of any series on DVD I've found!!!

I get them for $19.99 release week. But you can get them now for just around $25. Besides the full season, each set features 5 or 6 commentaries. There are even original video produced for the sets.

My question: If they can make money off BNS while investing into creating new bonus features, then why are some other feature-less sets so damn expensive. Munsters Season 1 for $49.99? Leave it to Beaver season 2 for $49.99???? Come on. I skipped these sets cause the price is out of whack.

Never heard of it, but would love to see it. At least once. No matter how bad it might be, there's no possible chance that releasing it could somehow "ruin" the legacy of this great show.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
While you're waiting for September, here some Bob Newhart clips I found tonight from comedy routines he did on The Dean Martin Show from the 1960s and 1970s, plus some TV clips from recent years. Enjoy. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsAS4XdUWM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOg97OhGPrw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kfj6oKst0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6-7sp7VsQ (also guest starring Petula Clark and Nipsey Russell)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-dcAp6-nc (a funny commercial for Stamps.com featuring Bob Newhart -- 1999)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzhj_t3oL7k (MAD TV sketch from 2001 with Bob and long-time cast member Mo Collins (who has since quit the show).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Though they did appear in character the Anniversary show was primarily a clip show. I believe the only set they used was the office . This of course differs with how the original show ended.

While I think it is great idea to include the last Newhart Show , I think that would spoil an eventual release of that show on DVD. That was one of if not the best shows of that series.

This was from a time when they knew how to write final episodes.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the two series that I am going to buy every season that is offered. The Mary Tyler Moore is the other series. These are two of my all-time favorite sitcoms.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the set recently and found it to be well done. The commentaries are great. I think Suzanne Pleashette and Marcia Wallace were hiliarious! I really enjoyed this set. I love the "Peeper Episodes" with Tom Poston. I think that Season Five has at least one more "peeper" episode that I can remember. Buy it and enjoy.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The anniversary show is actually called 'The Bob Newhart 20th Anniversary Show' with the number 20 crossed out in the titles and replaced with the number 19.

Bob explains in the introduction that CBS wanted them to do a 20th anniversary show, but Bob pointed out that at the time it was only 19 years since the show aired. Then, when they figured out that it was actually 20 years since they shot the pilot , CBS said "close enough!" and they went ahead with the special. This was a year after CBS had struck ratings gold with a 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' 20th anniversary show with the surviving cast members sharing their memories and favorite moments.

I like the show, which is done as an 'episode' of TBNS, but is primarily a clip show. It was just great to see the old gang together again , in character , to those of use who had seen the show during the original run and missed it in the 14 ( 13 ? ) years since it had ended. There is a wonderful shot with a look of pure joy on the faces of Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace during their first on-stage scene that conveys just how much love the cast had for each other and how special it was to re-live the magic. I still have the VHS tape I made the night it aired.

Brian Wolman

Auditioning
When I was a teenager in the 70's, I couldnt wait until Saturday Night.
Think of it...CBS had ALL IN THE FAMILY, MASH, THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, and CAROL BURNETT all in a row, all in one night!

Anyway, many memorable episodes to found in BN season 4. Among my personal favorites:
- The french psychologist epsiode
- The 2 Peeper Episodes
- Carol gets married
- Wardon Gordon Bordon
- Bob goes into real estate deal with mr Carlin

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find a thread for Season 5, but I thought I'd ask about it here since there was some discussion about it and what people would like to see on the possible Season 5 and 6 sets. With the Mary Tyler Moore Show being resurrected, I've had the thought in the back of my mind that possibly Fox would decide to release the final 2 seasons of the Bob Newhart Show also. I know it was Oprah who supposedly got Fox moving again on MTM, but these 2 shows have always seemed to just go together. I assume there's no news out there to report, but I would be thrilled if Fox would release the final seasons of Bob Newhart.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I figure if the MTM show does at least moderate sales, they will finish off the Bob Newhart Show as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks