Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official CARS Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 12:50 PM

Positive review from Time, which calls it the first great movie of the summer - as well as a bit of discussion about Lasseter and his new role at Disney.
Quote:
Reconciling Pixar's postmodern culture with the Disney tradition seems tough. But if high-tech Lightning McQueen could find his destiny in retro Radiator Springs, why can't Lasseter find a way to turn yesterday into tomorrow at Disney? He's surely shown opposites can attract in his wonderful new film. Existing both in turbo-charged today and the gentler '50s, straddling the realms of Pixar styling and old Disney heart, this new-model Cars is an instant classic.

Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#2 of 68 Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 07:25 PM

Just got home from the premiere. I'll type more later, but I really enjoyed the movie and the evening was a lot of fun.
AFI challenges:
Movies - Last seen: Raging Bull, 68 to go
Laughs - Last seen: It Happened One Night, 82 to go
Thrills - Last seen: Raging Bull, 67 to go
Passions - Last seen: The African Queen, 83 to go Heroes and Villains - Last seen: Max Cady - Cape Fear, 73 to go

#3 of 68 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,244 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 10:29 PM

Ebert and Roeper call it another home run and a worthy addition to the Pixar library.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 68 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted May 27 2006 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
Ebert and Roeper call it another home run and a worthy addition to the Pixar library.

(Marks down another Pixar movie to get on DVD late this fall Posted Image )
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#5 of 68 Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationMid-West, USA

Posted June 05 2006 - 12:42 AM

Kevin,

My 3 yr old loves the trailers and so I'm thinking that I might want to take him to see it. But he's very sensitive and easily upset so I'm sensitive to anything that might be too intense/scarey for him. The only movie he's seen in the theater is Curious George and at home, he's allowed one hour of tv per day which can be either PBS or Veggie Tales, so he's not been exposed to a whole lot. Is there anything in this film that might be scarey or too intense for a child under 4?
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.

#6 of 68 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted June 06 2006 - 02:55 PM

It seems a lot of you have written it off because the movie is about cars. That's too bad. The movie is not the best Pixar movie but it is still very good. The audience I saw it with responded very well to it. Lots of outbursts of laughter and some good character moments. Can't wait for the dvd.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#7 of 68 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 01:07 AM

I am also considering taking my 3 year old daughter to see this (her first trip to the theater!). She loves Toy Story 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo so I'm hoping this one will be about the same tonally as those three.

#8 of 68 Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 09:52 AM

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't have kids myself, but I don't recall anything that I think would be too intense. There is an accident in the opening race scene, but no one really gets "hurt". No weapons of any sort and never a real sense of danger. Definitely more like the previous Pixar films and not like the Incredibles.
AFI challenges:
Movies - Last seen: Raging Bull, 68 to go
Laughs - Last seen: It Happened One Night, 82 to go
Thrills - Last seen: Raging Bull, 67 to go
Passions - Last seen: The African Queen, 83 to go Heroes and Villains - Last seen: Max Cady - Cape Fear, 73 to go

#9 of 68 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 04:30 PM

With the price of gas skyrocketing and more science is proving the global warming phenom... why would PIXAR think a movie about talking cars (that guzzle gas) would be such a great idea? Product placement dollars??

I see Owen Wilson's character is sporting Goodyear tires. Couldn't they have used "Lightyear Tires" instead? You know, Buzz Lightyear?

The trailers are leaving me cold. This probably is no A Bug's Life,Toy Story 1 & 2, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., or The Incredibles. It looks like the most by-the-numbers plot they've done yet.

Dan

#10 of 68 Michael Coate

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 05:49 PM

Quote:
They projected the movie [at the premiere] onto 4 130ft wide screens using 2k DLP projectors.

And it's being released in a record number of 2K D-Cinema venues. We have a list up at our website.

www.fromscripttodvd.com/cars_d_cinema.htm

Michael Coate
www.FromScriptToDVD.com

#11 of 68 BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 06:16 PM

While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Cars this weekend, it's only at 75% at Rottentomatoes, which is low for a Pixar movie.

#12 of 68 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,749 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShort
While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Cars this weekend, it's only at 75% at Rottentomatoes, which is low for a Pixar movie.

I've also been surprised that the reviews have been lukewarm, but am looking forward to seeing this nevertheless. Visually, it looks simply stunnning.

#13 of 68 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 09 2006 - 12:06 AM

Some of the reviews seem as though they are just "my chance to break from the crowd and bash Pixar"

Quote:
"The creative mind rot that was foretold by The Incredibles comes home with full, Lamborghini-against-a-brick-wall force"

Oh, so "The Incredible" was a foreteller of crap?

I watched "Cars" last night and LOVED it. It's a movie with a good heart and a good general message for young kids. In comparison to the last animated flick I saw in the theaters "Over the Hedge" it's superior by leaps and bounds.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 68 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
With the price of gas skyrocketing and more science is proving the global warming phenom... why would PIXAR think a movie about talking cars (that guzzle gas) would be such a great idea? Product placement dollars??

Check that stuff at the door and enjoy the movie.

Quote:
I see Owen Wilson's character is sporting Goodyear tires. Couldn't they have used "Lightyear Tires" instead? You know, Buzz Lightyear?

He does have Lightyear tires.

Quote:
The trailers are leaving me cold. This probably is no A Bug's Life,Toy Story 1 & 2, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., or The Incredibles. It looks like the most by-the-numbers plot they've done yet.

Dan

Then skip it.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#15 of 68 Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 03:51 AM

The Wall St Journal review points out the plot is "Doc Hollywood" all over again, but did find some of the visuals stunning.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#16 of 68 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 09 2006 - 04:59 AM

I thought Doc Hollywood was cute, so this should be entertaining.

I immediately write off anyone who thinks "The Incredibles" was a 'foreteller of crap'. Puh-leaze.

#17 of 68 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 05:14 AM

Agreed, Quentin. In fact, I think THE INCREDIBLES is Pixar's finest film...which is saying A LOT.

#18 of 68 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,464 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 09 2006 - 07:47 AM

Every trailer and commercial I saw for this movie just left me thinking "Man, this doesn't look very good". Still, I went out and saw it this morning and it's great. It's not Pixar's best but it definitely stands with the rest of their work.

I never should have doubted Pixar's ability. Posted Image

#19 of 68 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hirsch
The Wall St Journal review points out the plot is "Doc Hollywood" all over again, but did find some of the visuals stunning.

Yes, they do share similar storylines, but of course, A Bug's Life was just a rehash of Seven Samurai.

Anyone who complains about the predictable, trite story misses the point. This movie DOES offer a tired plot, but it throws out so much great comedy and heart that I don't care. It's a very fun flick...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 68 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
It's definitely very miyazaki influenced in some respects.

Well, the Italian car is the same one driven by Lupin III in Castle of Cagliostro, which is directed by Miyazaki.

I also do not understand all the negative reviews. Cars may not the be on par with other Pixar films like Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo & The Incredibles, but it's still an enjoyable film with the trademark Pixar heart.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow