Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Canon Digital Elph -- S-video Out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 03:27 PM

I'm looking into buying one of the subcompact Canon digital cameras, either the 5 or 7 megapixel model. Was intrigued by the "movie" or camcorder mode of 640 x 480 pixels. Except the spec's say the video output is composite, you know, the kind where the colors are smeared due to only 50 or so lines of horizontal chrominance resolution and also the need to do comb filtering.

Anyone have any experience with these cameras and know whether there is some better way to get video out, perhaps with the help of downloading to a computer?

#2 of 5 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 08:32 PM

I've never tried it myself, but I'd think you should be able to find a way to transfer/convert the (most likely MJPEG) video to whatever digital format you prefer w/out needing to go D->A->D.

Ok. I just did a quick search on dpreview's Canon Talk forum for you and found this thread that may help you:

http://forums.dprevi....essage=9654286

Looks like you can use Nero 6 to convert the video to MPEG2 and burn to a DVD, if you want to go that route. There were other suggestions there also, including some free stuff to be found at videohelp.com like TMPGEnc.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 5 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 08:39 PM

Also, if you just want to play the video back via your computer and not do any conversion, you probably only need to find a proper decoder/player for the video -- again, most likely an MJPEG decoder. Maybe the Canon cameras already come w/ the needed software for playback though it might be rather clunky software.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 5 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 04:47 AM

As far as I know, all of the Canon cameras record in the OpenDML AVI compatible motion JPEG standard. Quicktime can play these back, as I'm sure other OpenDML compliant MJPEG players can.

The limits of the composite out would only apply when playing from the camera. Of course, since these videos are compressed on the fly, expect to see compression artifacts on anything but the simplest of subjects. In other words, don't expect DV or Digital-8 quality from these cameras, since they are doing realtime compression at much more that 5:1. I imagine the color resolution is 4:1:1 as well (color at 1/4 the luminence resolution) - as you might expect at this price point.

In general terms, the video I've seen from these cameras approximates VHS or VCD quality - any boost you get in resolution is negated by compression artifacts.

A fun feature to play around with, just don't expect too much.

#5 of 5 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted June 12 2006 - 06:05 AM

I have a Cannon Poweshot 320 which is a 4 megapixal camera (and is also a discontinued model). I have always been amazed at the quality of the videos. They are in DVI format and look great. I just download the video to my computer using the USB cable and play it with Windows Media Player. I don't notice any digital artifacts and they look great even when viewed full screen. The big problem though is that it is hard to hold the camera still and the video is quite jerky. A tripod would be helpful I guess, but I'm not that serious of a photographer. In the end, I wouldn't make my decision based on the video capability. I bought the camera for the quality of the pictures which is very good, and for its small size. If you want great video, get a video camera. Just my two cents.

Jeff