What's new

Growing Pains abandoned. So very sad. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
On the Warner Brothers chat, it has been made clear that no remaining season sets of growing Pains are going to be made. This is sad news. The show really took off, and became great in seasons 2, and 3. I don't know how many times I have said I'm giving up on tv dvd releases, and it's news like this that does it every time. I invest in a first season release thinking more season sets will be made(Growing Pains is in my opinion a much better show than Full House) only to find it has no buisness in the current dvd market. Very, very sad, If for the only reason being that if Lions Gate,or Anchor Bay owned the rights for Growing Pains you know darn well we woud see more season sets released.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
They never said that. Growing Pains sold pretty well. They just are slow usually in getting subsequent sets out.

tommyST

Auditioning
Real Name
tommystewart
I was under the same impression. I personally thought that 'growing pains' wasn't going to be a popular release (to the point I wasn't sure about the second season), but then hearing people talk about it in stores and such, I think its more of a case of there getting their ducks in a row with the following seasons instead of abandonment.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
In the chat the question that was asked was "any plans for more season sets of Growing Pains?"
Their response was"No Plans for Growing Pains".

Since they were talking about a huge variety of shows being released well into 2007, and Growing Pains isn't even on the radar, I took it as an abandoned series on dvd.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I read the transcript of the Warner Bros. chat, and I get the sense that they had a list in front of them of releases within the next 6-12 months, and that is basically what they were going from.

The entire chat consisted of "yes, we have scheduled that" or "no, we have not scheduled that."

Look at the drama "Once and Again" that aired on ABC and was produced by Disney.

It was several years between Season 1 and Season 2, but they did finally release the second season. It might be equally long until fans of that show get the third season.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I sympathize with you. Growing Pains along with Night Court and Murphy Brown are series that I would continue to support but series I would never purchase like Full House and Fresh Prince get super fast releases in comparison. I know we are not alone in this but it seems that more went into pushing other series. I could not find Growing Pains on the shelf at local retailers. Maybe it sold out fast, but I saw tons of the others. Growing Pains gets better as it goes along as it gets more absurd and self aware, takes a hit when Leo joins but still manages to bounce back. I was hoping for Just the 10 of Us to get a DVD release but with Growing Pains getting neglected I fear for it. I wonder how music rights issues could affect these two shows. Some Just the 10 of Us's funniest episodes involved music routines of the girls singing some popular songs and I know Growing Pains had a few essential music segments.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe there is some good news when you read between the lines. Just because they aren't releasing it right now doesn't mean they won't. Eventually shows like Full House and the Fresh Prince will be finished and then Warner Brothers will have to look at the other shows they have. I believe Growing Pains, Perfect Strangers and Family Matters will be out eventually as well as Murphy Brown and Night Court. So hang in there!!!

Josh_HI

Second Unit
That stinks...I dont know that I would have bought it had I known it was going to be abandoned....I HATE having incomplete collections...And to think it was only $17.99 when it was released at Best buy! I wonder why it didnt sell amazingly well....Hope they change their minds...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, some say "no plans" doesn't mean abandonment, but remember the 2005 chat? "No Plans" was the clue for future Murphy Brown sets, a year has passed and there's still not a season 2.

I think Warner plays hardball too much, once upon a time, Fox said no more NYPD Blue or MTM would come, and now look. Even Sony has given certain shows another change, like the seemingly abandoned Jeffersons. But when Warner says no more, they are firm with it. At least when Sony abandoned Mad About You, they did a crappy "collectors edition" of the 30 or so best episodes over the shows run as a sendoff. Warner just does 6 episode "best of" sets as their kissoff to shows.

Tabetha

Agent
Well maybe if the fans bug them enough about future releases than maybe they will get them out quicker?

Real Name
Seth Thrasher
Just a random musing: When a studio says "No Plans", that means that, on the information available at that time, on that date, it was not available.

It is possible (possibility not meaning this happened, of course), that the very date that they said that, the next day plans for GP season 2 were made. But at the time of the chat, there would be "no plans".

Zach.S

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Just caught this thread, this is a real shame indeed. Along with Who's the Boss, this is the show I want most to be released. It amazes me what shows they will release and what others won't. For both series, I can imagine abandoning them after a few releases if they don't sell well, but after the 1st? Both shows (and most in general) take a season or 2 to really get going. That's the case with both shows.

Do you guys think if we get a campaign going (to show if there is a demand) they might eventually make at least a limited release? Didn't it work for one show (I can't remember which)?

Esten

Supporting Actor
It would need to be an actual hand-written letter campaign to make any sort of dent.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
With the recent News about Mork n Mindy, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley getting ressurected after 2+ years. Gives me hope that I don't think Growing Pains has been abandoned quite yet. All Warner said at the chat was they have no plans at this time, which could easily change. Keep in mind it has not even been a year since S1 came out.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

Don't forget Mad About You & Mary Tyler Moore, I think with more of the popular titles having been released, they will get back to titles that were put on hiatus.

Paul

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Well GP just came back on the I Network so maybe that will boost its profile.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I think we now know that "abandoned" doesn't always mean that at all. Examples being Mary Tyler Moore, Once & Again, Mad About You and now possibly Happy Days, L&S and Mork.

All is not lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks