What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Bourne Supremacy -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Bourne Supremacy from Universal shows off the new HD technology beautifully.

With highly saturated, deep, rich colors, which match the cinema experience, the film is a cinematic poster child for the format.

What else can one say.

Universal has done a beautiful job of bringing the film to HD DVD in high style and quality commensurate with the technology.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i believe this film is a benchmark for possible tearing, if it will occur, this roller coaster ride of cam-movement will break any format in nicely =).

bearing that in mind, didya see any interlaced tearing?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I picked this up last week, and it's patiently waiting untill I get my HD player from Amazon.com.
I'm glad to hear I made a wise purchase.

Thanks Robert Harris!

M

Member 323668

Also from my side congratulations to Universal. They consistently release impressive, almost flawless HD transfers.

"The Bourne Supremacy" shines with the same perfect PQ as does "Van Helsing" and "Chronicles of Riddick".

Please, Universal, give us some classic releases from your vault very soon!

Robert, how about using your reputation, influence and connections to Universal Studios to make them release a gem like "Vertigo" on HD soon? ;)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I remember that I did not like the 35mm print of Bourne Supremacy much due to the grain management they applied to the DI (-> grain reduction artifacts). They are probably on the HD-DVD as well. How does human skin in motion look? Is grain moving naturally or with spatio-temporal pollution? If you don't know what I mean watch "The Aviator", a text book example of a grain reduced mess. If you can't see anything wrong with "The Aviator" I give up. :)

M

Member 323668

I remember watching the movie at the Disney Studios in Orlando, Fl. The print was awful. Filtered, blurred, too dark, artifacts, bad color timing.

The HD-DVD looks fantastic. Film grain is visible. Razor-sharp image. Good colors. I love to see unfiltered film-grain. For me, visible, unfiltered film grain always is a quality seal of a good transfer. :)

I haven't seen "The Aviator" at the theater, but the R2 DVD is totally filtered, almost grainless.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

Hm. May there be hope and they actually did a different master for HD than prints? That would be a big relief. I'll have to check it out sometime when I can (I wait for
Blue Ray).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wanted to chime in here. Finally watched this one in full the other night.

Was in town visiting a good buddy (HTF Josh.C) over the weekend & brought along the HD-A1 for us to view some HD-DVDs! :cool: We have a place to hang out there that has a 130 inch projection screen. Max resolution is only 480p but can accept a 1080i source.

Set the HD-A1 to 1080i....and to my surprise the image really, really was great. This one was always dark and somewhat grainy before. Still has some film grain and is a dark transfer....BUT even on a 480 unit and projected really big....this disc is a stunner. It has streaked to near the top of the best image/sound HD-DVDs I own. Colors; spot on. Shadow detail was great. Stable image all around.

The audio has perhaps some of the tightest most articulate bass I've ever heard. Not bloaty at all. First, a quick setup summary. The HT we heard this on only has toslink or coaxial digital inputs. No HDMI or analog outs. So...the reciever displayed DTS.

Someone with more HD audio experience tell me how and why this sounded so good and much better than the Standard def dvd eventhough we weren't able to really utilize the Dolby Digital Plus track?

This was a GREAT audio track.

Like most here, we really need to get The Bourne Identity HD-DVD and soon :)

Reference HD-DVD all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks