Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about... The Bourne Supremacy -- in High Definition

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,548 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 01:43 PM

The Bourne Supremacy from Universal shows off the new HD technology beautifully.

With highly saturated, deep, rich colors, which match the cinema experience, the film is a cinematic poster child for the format.

What else can one say.

Universal has done a beautiful job of bringing the film to HD DVD in high style and quality commensurate with the technology.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 02:34 PM

i believe this film is a benchmark for possible tearing, if it will occur, this roller coaster ride of cam-movement will break any format in nicely =).

bearing that in mind, didya see any interlaced tearing?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 10:53 PM

I picked this up last week, and it's patiently waiting untill I get my HD player from Amazon.com.
I'm glad to hear I made a wise purchase.

Thanks Robert Harris!

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 07:19 AM

Also from my side congratulations to Universal. They consistently release impressive, almost flawless HD transfers.

"The Bourne Supremacy" shines with the same perfect PQ as does "Van Helsing" and "Chronicles of Riddick".

Please, Universal, give us some classic releases from your vault very soon!

Robert, how about using your reputation, influence and connections to Universal Studios to make them release a gem like "Vertigo" on HD soon? Posted Image

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 05:59 AM

I remember that I did not like the 35mm print of Bourne Supremacy much due to the grain management they applied to the DI (-> grain reduction artifacts). They are probably on the HD-DVD as well. How does human skin in motion look? Is grain moving naturally or with spatio-temporal pollution? If you don't know what I mean watch "The Aviator", a text book example of a grain reduced mess. If you can't see anything wrong with "The Aviator" I give up. :-)

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Johannes S

Johannes S

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted June 10 2006 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel_Hafner
I remember that I did not like the 35mm print of Bourne Supremacy much due to the grain management they applied to the DI (-> grain reduction artifacts). They are probably on the HD-DVD as well. How does human skin in motion look? Is grain moving naturally or with spatio-temporal pollution?

I remember watching the movie at the Disney Studios in Orlando, Fl. The print was awful. Filtered, blurred, too dark, artifacts, bad color timing.

The HD-DVD looks fantastic. Film grain is visible. Razor-sharp image. Good colors. I love to see unfiltered film-grain. For me, visible, unfiltered film grain always is a quality seal of a good transfer. Posted Image

I haven't seen "The Aviator" at the theater, but the R2 DVD is totally filtered, almost grainless.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes S
I
The HD-DVD looks fantastic. Film grain is visible. Razor-sharp image. Good colors. I love to see unfiltered film-grain. For me, visible, unfiltered film grain always is a quality seal of a good transfer. Posted Image

Hm. May there be hope and they actually did a different master for HD than prints? That would be a big relief. I'll have to check it out sometime when I can (I wait for
Blue Ray).

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted June 11 2006 - 03:19 PM

Bourne Supremacy is a terrific HD DVD. I hope Universal will release Bourne Identity soon.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,663 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 04:15 PM

Wanted to chime in here. Finally watched this one in full the other night.

Was in town visiting a good buddy (HTF Josh.C) over the weekend & brought along the HD-A1 for us to view some HD-DVDs! Posted Image We have a place to hang out there that has a 130 inch projection screen. Max resolution is only 480p but can accept a 1080i source.

Set the HD-A1 to 1080i....and to my surprise the image really, really was great. This one was always dark and somewhat grainy before. Still has some film grain and is a dark transfer....BUT even on a 480 unit and projected really big....this disc is a stunner. It has streaked to near the top of the best image/sound HD-DVDs I own. Colors; spot on. Shadow detail was great. Stable image all around.

The audio has perhaps some of the tightest most articulate bass I've ever heard. Not bloaty at all. First, a quick setup summary. The HT we heard this on only has toslink or coaxial digital inputs. No HDMI or analog outs. So...the reciever displayed DTS.

Someone with more HD audio experience tell me how and why this sounded so good and much better than the Standard def dvd eventhough we weren't able to really utilize the Dolby Digital Plus track?

This was a GREAT audio track.

Like most here, we really need to get The Bourne Identity HD-DVD and soon Posted Image

Reference HD-DVD all around.

Forum Nav Content I Follow