-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Schwarzenegger Collection (2006): anamorphic "True Lies" and "Commando"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 06:54 AM

I wander in Future shop today (Canada) and in the new release section there's this Schwarzenegger Collection (2006) DVD set... black and white cover.

three films:
True Lies
Predator
Commando

ALL listed as anamorphic widescreen. No Audio options listed on outer case.

So... some remastering happen I don't know about, or bad packaging by Fox?

David

#2 of 33 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,650 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 07 2006 - 07:16 AM

I don't know for sure but I'd bet that it's all the same discs as before.

#3 of 33 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 07:19 AM

I wasn't aware True Lies had been rereleased in anamorphic.

#4 of 33 DwayneH

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 11:41 AM

That is what it says on the package. Has anyone bought it and tried it out? I would buy it just for Commando and True Lies being anamorphic. I already have the predator special edition.

#5 of 33 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 01:10 PM

If True Lies is going to be offered in anamorphic widescreen I'd think someone would've let us know by now. However, maybe this is just one of the SD releases that has gotten lost in the shuffle with all the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff going on. I hope someone chimes in with more info. because I would really love to have a new copy of True Lies.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#6 of 33 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 01:20 PM

It's the same thing with the Angelina Jolie Collection that was also released yesterday.....the box lists 'Pushing Tin' as anamorphic as well. Posted Image
Recently watched- Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, Lost: Season 1

"Give them nothing, but take from them EVERYTHING!"

#7 of 33 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 01:31 PM

Damn, that's what I figured. Thanks for nothing, Fox.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#8 of 33 jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted June 07 2006 - 02:23 PM

Guess that means I hold onto my True Lies LD a while longer.

#9 of 33 David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 02:12 AM

Is it or isn't it anamorphic??? I would buy it also for the True Lies/commando films, if they're anamorphic. Not willing to take a flyer on them though.

David

#10 of 33 Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 03:32 AM

I was out last night and looked at some of the Celeb packs.

In each case, they incorrectly list movies that are not 16x9.

This kind of deceptive advertising is ridiculous.

I highly doubt that 3-4 movies have been quietly re-transferred for budget shovelware packs.

Don't buy it!

#11 of 33 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 04:02 AM

Well, Fox has quietly rereleased some films as anamorphic. Ever After comes to mind. It's not out of the question.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#12 of 33 jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 01:25 PM

The bad thing is when you get the discs home, unwrap them and play them and realize they aren't anamorphic. I had this happen to me with a copy of Don Juan De Marco, the box said anamorphic so I bought it...but it wasn't. I tried to return it to Target and the idiots would only "exchange it for the same title" --as if that would fscking make things better. I argued it was false advertising and I wanted my $7.50 back, they wouldn't budge. In the end it wasn't worth it, and now Target doesn't get my money anymore.

#13 of 33 David Nusair

David Nusair

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 03:12 PM

I can confirm that Commando is not anamorphic. I actually bought it hoping that it was, but alas...

#14 of 33 David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nusair
I can confirm that Commando is not anamorphic. I actually bought it hoping that it was, but alas...

thanks for letting us know... probably safe to assume that True Lies is also falsely advertised Posted Image

David

#15 of 33 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,908 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 08 2006 - 03:46 PM

That's annoying.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 33 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,338 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted June 08 2006 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, and the 3-pack is no bargain either. I've got all of these discs at one time or another from the $6.88 Wal-Mart bin, in total less than that set goes for. Naturally I updated Predator. I like the other two movies just fine, it's hard for me to believe they haven't gotten better or at least anamorphic transfers. Somebody explained here, a long time ago, why this probably was, and I forget now... It'll happen someday. This is just a dumping of old product that has been multiply-packaged several times already, "officially" or shrinked together.

#17 of 33 DwayneH

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 07:35 AM

If this is true and the movies are not anamorphic then is there anywhere we can complain to get this false advertising changed? The problem is that if you buy it expecting anamorphic like it says and open it you can NOT return it.

#18 of 33 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 08:03 AM

If the store won't take it back you can always mail it back to the company that put the disc out. It's more their fault than the stores.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#19 of 33 andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,230 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 10:34 AM

I know Commando was released as a Dolby Stereo only release, so a doubt there will be any possibility of true discrete Dolby 4.1 mix, the version that exists on region 2 DVD UK, is dreadful, and the rotten BBFC British Board Film Classification as butchered the film, why re-cut the film when it was already awarded an 18 certificate, FOX UK has pulled this Texas switch with Predator then they re-release it.

FOX UK, stop milking the consumer you robbers! And give me Commando uncut, and in Dolby 4.1 or 5.1 with split-surrounds, and for those who what an anamorphic 1.85:1 give it to them, and remember, stop milking us and taking us for idiots!

As far as I’m concerned FOX UK, you’re the idiots, you can’t even produce a DVD without botching the authoring of the DVD up in the first, bloody hell what sort cowboys have you got under your employment!?

#20 of 33 jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 04:02 PM

Andy, that's not a productive post. Studio reps do browse these forums, and calling them "idiots" is not going help. Plus, it tarnishes the forum's reputation as a place where mature, civilized adults can discuss film. Please stop.

Mods: I apologize for the backseat modding.