What's new

Schwarzenegger Collection (2006): anamorphic "True Lies" and "Commando"? (1 Viewer)

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
I wander in Future shop today (Canada) and in the new release section there's this Schwarzenegger Collection (2006) DVD set... black and white cover.

three films:
True Lies
Predator
Commando

ALL listed as anamorphic widescreen. No Audio options listed on outer case.

So... some remastering happen I don't know about, or bad packaging by Fox?

David

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
That is what it says on the package. Has anyone bought it and tried it out? I would buy it just for Commando and True Lies being anamorphic. I already have the predator special edition.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If True Lies is going to be offered in anamorphic widescreen I'd think someone would've let us know by now. However, maybe this is just one of the SD releases that has gotten lost in the shuffle with all the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff going on. I hope someone chimes in with more info. because I would really love to have a new copy of True Lies.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
Is it or isn't it anamorphic??? I would buy it also for the True Lies/commando films, if they're anamorphic. Not willing to take a flyer on them though.

David

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was out last night and looked at some of the Celeb packs.

In each case, they incorrectly list movies that are not 16x9.

This kind of deceptive advertising is ridiculous.

I highly doubt that 3-4 movies have been quietly re-transferred for budget shovelware packs.

Don't buy it!

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Well, Fox has quietly rereleased some films as anamorphic. Ever After comes to mind. It's not out of the question.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
The bad thing is when you get the discs home, unwrap them and play them and realize they aren't anamorphic. I had this happen to me with a copy of Don Juan De Marco, the box said anamorphic so I bought it...but it wasn't. I tried to return it to Target and the idiots would only "exchange it for the same title" --as if that would fscking make things better. I argued it was false advertising and I wanted my $7.50 back, they wouldn't budge. In the end it wasn't worth it, and now Target doesn't get my money anymore.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

thanks for letting us know... probably safe to assume that True Lies is also falsely advertised :frowning:

David

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, and the 3-pack is no bargain either. I've got all of these discs at one time or another from the $6.88 Wal-Mart bin, in total less than that set goes for. Naturally I updated Predator. I like the other two movies just fine, it's hard for me to believe they haven't gotten better or at least anamorphic transfers. Somebody explained here, a long time ago, why this probably was, and I forget now... It'll happen someday. This is just a dumping of old product that has been multiply-packaged several times already, "officially" or shrinked together.

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true and the movies are not anamorphic then is there anywhere we can complain to get this false advertising changed? The problem is that if you buy it expecting anamorphic like it says and open it you can NOT return it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If the store won't take it back you can always mail it back to the company that put the disc out. It's more their fault than the stores.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I know Commando was released as a Dolby Stereo only release, so a doubt there will be any possibility of true discrete Dolby 4.1 mix, the version that exists on region 2 DVD UK, is dreadful, and the rotten BBFC British Board Film Classification as butchered the film, why re-cut the film when it was already awarded an 18 certificate, FOX UK has pulled this Texas switch with Predator then they re-release it.

FOX UK, stop milking the consumer you robbers! And give me Commando uncut, and in Dolby 4.1 or 5.1 with split-surrounds, and for those who what an anamorphic 1.85:1 give it to them, and remember, stop milking us and taking us for idiots!

As far as I’m concerned FOX UK, you’re the idiots, you can’t even produce a DVD without botching the authoring of the DVD up in the first, bloody hell what sort cowboys have you got under your employment!?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Andy, that's not a productive post. Studio reps do browse these forums, and calling them "idiots" is not going help. Plus, it tarnishes the forum's reputation as a place where mature, civilized adults can discuss film. Please stop.

Mods: I apologize for the backseat modding.

I bought the 3-pack before checking here. MISTAKE!!!

True Lies is NOT Anamorphic, same version as before.

I did return it successfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks